How Many Bushings?!

CanadaCraig

:ph34r: If you were talking about engine mount bushings, why would you just replace the bushings and not the whole mount? If I was going to attempt this type of repair I would opt to replace the whole component. To me it is just not worth risk.

Thanks 99lsguy and dogboy!! :)

Suspension and differential bushings - is what I meant. [should have said that - sorry]

My car doesn't feel very secure above 100. [62 mph] Not dangerously so - but I just don't get the feeling that it would pass the 'Moose Test'. [that's when something suddenly appears before you and you have to drive around it] So that's the suspension part of the question. As for the differential - there is a definite 'droan' when I let off the gas at about 80 or so. [50 mph] Someone once said that could be the differential. It also feels [sometimes] as though I'm towing a boat. [as if something isn't moving as freely as it should] Although my '93 LS has only 86,000km [about 53,000 miles?] it SAT every winter for several months at a time. Because of that - I think some of the problems are caused by dried up bushings. [and/or other parts that can be negatively effected by just 'sitting']

Thanks!!

Craig!! :)

ps Hey dogboy!! Any relation to Bat Boy?! lol [the famous tabloid charactor]

I know you had a lot of service when you got the car.... but did they change the differential fluid too? That would be my first concern, along with a pan drain on the tranny.

Even if it was done, I'd be inclined to do both again (well, I KNOW I WOULD). This is because you car has/had long layoffs in the winter. These first fluid changes may serve to help "clean" and you may need to get that gunk outta there!

I'd use 80-90 synthetic for the diffy - especially since you're in the great white north.

MY 99 has upper & lower mounts in the front of the diffy, then 2 large mounts behind it.

Also, check torque from the l/r axles as they attach to differential. I have 6 on each side (10mm hex) and torque is 61 ft. lbs.

first cause of noise in diffy is low fluid

After that, you get into worn pinion gears and other badness - so let us know about the fluid...

Main Entry: drone

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): droned; dron•ing

intransitive senses

1 a : to make a sustained deep murmuring, humming, or buzzing sound

b : to talk in a persistently dull or monotonous tone

2 : to pass, proceed, or act in a dull, drowsy, or indifferent manner

I shout this out to my wife on the hwy to persuade her to let me repair the car.

dddrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne...

It is a not so common malady called, coincidentally, " the drone" .

I have the same problem on a 91LS.

TSB reference

It is applicable to all cars 96 and before. ( It is misleading on the web site )

Some cars do it and some do not. The repair is extensive being at least $1300 in parts and labor. I has my car on a lift and heard the noise starting around 40 ( very low frequency) and especially around 60-70 ( drone ) then fading out to road and wind noise after that.

Initially, I had the differential replaced to discover that it was not the problem.

What happens is that the noise emanates from the differential area. It is a problem with vibration. The rear shafts being are out of phase or harmony. The differential vibrates/hums to the point of wear out the differential mounts. This makes the matter even worse/louder!!

My independent Lexus mechanic told me that it is not a safety issue but more of a sanity issue.

Can you withstand it?

It bugs the hell of me.

ok everyone wrote too much for me to read because im feeling lazy so if my answer to bushings has already been written sorry :lol: the main bushings to change from my experience(changed every suspension component on my LS in the front) would be the front lower ball joints strut arm bushings, and swaybar bushings.

Did you have occasion to examine your "rear carrier bushings"? The dealer recommended replacing mine, but the alignment place said they are just old and dirty.

I don't seem to have any symptoms, but I'm wondering if the dealer knew something, or if they just wanted some unnecessary business.

Joe

if your car is about 10 years old then why not change them i just did on mine i posted the topic under "rear trailing arm bushings replaced" so take a look mine were totaly gone the center could be pushed out by hand