Good Medium Priced Security System

Bruno Molly

I know Viper i.e. DEI Electronics Security systems are supposed to be the one of the top dogs of auto security, but I have read the posts of many people who complain about programming issues,

Starter and door lock malfunctions, and a whole host of other problems with the DEI line. I am looking at the (Omega) Excalibur line as I used to install these back in the day. The DEI line has always been a mystery to me with limited access to information if you happen to lose the documentation of the unit or just don't have it as in my case.

I have a Python 881XP system, and a Viper 791XV system. Both are missing the 2 way responder remote. So I got one that will work with Both DEI Brains.

Since I have an Electronics shop setup, I decided to hook everything up just like it would be installed in the car. Door pin switch, 12v+, GND, Acc...all that. Followed the instructions to the "N"th degree

and cannot get EITHER brain to accept the remote . I have even used a Bitwriter to ZAP (Wipe out all transmitter info to start fresh) and still it will not program. Ok.. so, based on that, I refuse to pay $400 for system to where I won't be able to program the remote several years later. So I am turning my attention to other Alarm Manufacturers. So What system do you prefer and how reliable it is?

My Factory OEM system has the remote Key but the key does not transmit anymore. Lexus wants waaaay too much for replacement Keys and programming chip.. $360 I was quoted! HAH~

Thanks

-= Molly

I've always found it easier to just add a basic keyless entry and interface with the OE alarm, especially on older cars. I too used to install mobile electronics and still do a little on the side, I use a Prestige (Audiovox) unit in my LS, keyless entry with upgradable features for like $18 cost. It has light flash, horn output, entry illumination, 2step door locks, 2nd and 3rd channel outputs, and a starter disable circuit, LED, programmable valet, everything besides an impact sensor basically.

Going full blown alarm is fine, but you're arguing apples and oranges with your choices, DEI/Omega share platforms and the majority of the Python, Viper, Hornet, Sidewinder, etc. are all the same thing. Not liking one but using another is like saying you don't like an ES300 but you'll drive a V6 Camry. Same car by all intents.

If the remote isn't programming, are you sure the unit is seeing a true ignition input? And the valet switch is properly working? And how do you know either unit worked fully in the first place?

dei is beyond omega ( only used them for the wiring schematics) and prestige , wow haven't head or seen them since roll up window modules were the thing .

The remotes usually look the same but are not , one problem I had with the is that the type of battery causes them to act funny for programming it in. swap in a different type .