Premium Sound Head Unit Swap With Nachamichi?

Bruno Molly

Ok, I have acquired a Nachamichi head unit and I would like to swap out the so called "Premium Sound System" Pioneer that currently

resides in my 93 LS400. Are the connectors, wiring, and all that vastly different? Has anyone on here successful made this a doable project or

is it a PITA and not worth the effort? I currently have the Premium sound, Alpine Changer which works off the 88.7mhz freq for the changer's

audio. Will I need to get the Nach Amp to successfully integrate the Nach into the system? What am I up against here?

Thanks

Molly

Ok, I have acquired a Nachamichi head unit and I would like to swap out the so called "Premium Sound System" Pioneer that currently

resides in my 93 LS400. Are the connectors, wiring, and all that vastly different? Has anyone on here successful made this a doable project or

is it a PITA and not worth the effort? I currently have the Premium sound, Alpine Changer which works off the 88.7mhz freq for the changer's

audio. Will I need to get the Nach Amp to successfully integrate the Nach into the system? What am I up against here?

Thanks

Molly

The entire audio has to be changed out, The wiring is totally different. You would have to have a custom made harness and CD changer/amp + speakers. :o

True, and the gains you would receive are negligible. The Nakamichi unit has a little more power but the options is has over the Pioneer unit aren't any better. Going aftermarket is a better option to get a quality deck, you can get a double DIN radio from nearly any manufacturer that's light years better with more options including GPS, Bluetooth, MP3, MP4, USB and SD card readings, etc., the only downside is you have to add an external amplifier to drive the subwoofer. I have a Pioneer CD in mine and deleted the subwoofer, you really can't tell it's missing.

No longer need to add an aftermarket amp if you don't want to. Beat Sonic has an audio adapter that allows you to retain all factory speakers and your amplifier. It works perfectly and man does it sound worlds above the stock units!

No longer need to add an aftermarket amp if you don't want to. Beat Sonic has an audio adapter that allows you to retain all factory speakers and your amplifier. It works perfectly and man does it sound worlds above the stock units!

Not a bad piece, but for $208 it's pricey since the only thing you gain is keeping the OE subwoofer, which in most cases is near it's death anyway. Sitting in the rear deck the sun destroys it fast. Mine was brittle and the surround was coming apart when I took it out three years ago.

The regular Toyota harness adapter plugs right in to power the door speakers, which sound better with a more powerful head unit anyway. For the newer models like 430 it's a better option since you're integrating into more systems.

Ok. Sort of what I thought before I go ripping stuff out. Anyone need a Nachamichi deck? Make me an offer!

Molly

Hi .... just curious .... any chance you could take a photo of your Nachamichi deck and post it here? Mine is missing the little dust cover cassette door, plus it is scratched. Mine looks like it got a tape stuck in it (previous owner)and they scratched the face of the unit as well as breaking that little door off when they got the cassette tape back out ... I have always wanted to change it out for a nice working unit ....

thanks .....

Ok. Sort of what I thought before I go ripping stuff out. Anyone need a Nachamichi deck? Make me an offer!

Molly

Hi .... just curious .... any chance you could take a photo of your Nachamichi deck and post it here? Mine is missing the little dust cover cassette door, plus it is scratched. Mine looks like it got a tape stuck in it (previous owner)and they scratched the face of the unit as well as breaking that little door off when they got the cassette tape back out ... I have always wanted to change it out for a nice working unit ....

thanks .....

Ok..I will do this and post it this afternoon.