Increase In Fuel Consumption

ghbogen

I own Lexus ES 300 2001 with 79000 miles on the odometer, I observed sudden and rapid change in its fuel consumption.In the past the fuel consumption was 20-22 miles/gal and it became 12 miles/gal/The car had a tuneup 2 months ago(600miles).

What is the most likely cause responsible for this sudden change?.My friend who is knowledgeable about the cars suggested that it is probably due to the problem with an oxygen sensor.Is it possible to determine which sensor is at fault or one should replace all of them.?

I notice that there is a very considerable(100-300%) price difference between sensors manufactured by various companies(Bosch,Denso,Walker,Replacement,Beck/Arney).Could any oxygen sensor described as suitable for my car model be used or is it essential that

one uses the OEM parts?.

How many sensors are installed in Lexus ES 300?

If a sensor is so out of spec that is causing such a huge difference in MPG, I would expect the check engine light to be on at that point.

Some other things to consider first:

1) I believe you observed the reduced MPG over 600 miles? If not and it was just the last tank of gas, maybe you got bad gas.

2) Have you checked the tire pressure?

3) Is it mostly city or highway driving?

P.S: If you decide to change the sensors, the OEM ones are not that expensive if you know where to look. Post the part numbers you need here and I can provide sources for cheap OEM sensors.

If a sensor is so out of spec that is causing such a huge difference in MPG, I would expect the check engine light to be on at that point.

1) I believe you observed the reduced MPG over 600 miles? If not and it was just the last tank of gas, maybe you got bad gas.

P.S: If you decide to change the sensors, the OEM ones are not that expensive if you know where to look. Post the part numbers you need here and I can provide sources for cheap OEM sensors.

+1 ^

Also when you said you did a 'tune up' what parts exactly did you replace? & yes what about the tire pressure?

:cheers: