Advice On Dealing With Lexus Corp

I purchased a 2007 Lexus Rx 350 for my wife at the Jacksonville Lexus Dealership in Florida. Due to the options we requested, they had to order the vehicle. We were told it would take appox 1 month but it took almost 2 months for arrival. When the vehicle arrived, we were not contacted and it sat on the lot being test driven as a regular vehicle. It was not until I showed up at the dealership that I accidently discovered it was my wife's vehicle sitting on the lot. The vehicle was very dirty with dirt all over the floor and pen marks on the driver seat. Additionally, when the technicians installed the satelite radio, they cut a large piece of the dash board.

Through it all, we weren't happy but we worked with the dealership. Unfortunately, they have not worked with us. Upon delivery, we had a large amount of condensation inside the front headlights. We brought this up to the sevice advisor and they only changed the passenger side head light. They did not change the driver side for unknown reasons. As such, eveytime I'm at the dealership for service I would bring up the issue with the water condensation on the driver side. The service advisor said it was normal even though I insisted it seemed quite a bit of water condensation. He went into a great detail of how the headlight unit has a hole that will elimate the water and it is "NORMAL." Since we were not familair with how the headlights function and believe/trusted the service advisor. He did not notate this and proceeded to take care of our other service needs. This convesation occured nearly everytime we visited the dealership and not once did the advisor took a look at it before telling us it was normal. No matter how much we insisted he insisted further that it was normal. At about 42,000 miles, we went back to purchase an extended warranty; again we brought up the fact the car had an unusual amount of water in the headlights, we were again told it was normal. It wasn't until at 57,000 miles that I happend to be close to the dealership that I dropped in to show the service advisor the large amount of condensation on the headlight from rain 4 days ago. He realized at that point what I was trying to convey to him and he acknowledge I had brought this to his attention many times before and would try to take care of the issue for us by contacting Lexus Corp.

As you would have guessed, he did return any phone calls to me even after I left many messages. I had to go the dealership to speak with him. He told me to call Lexus Corp. Lexus Corp initially took my report and my request to have the driver headlight replaced as a "courtesy" because this has been an issue from the begining of our purchase. We have witnesses and even the service advisor admitted we brought this to his attention many times. It was his failure to recognize the significance of the problem and did not address the issue before giving us his speech of how it was normal. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with Lexus Corp.; they too, did not return a single phone call and we had to call numerous times before we finally received an answer of denial secondary to not reporting the issue during warranty. We tried refuting and said they would investigate further and call us back but in the end, we never heard back from them.

I would like the Lexus forum members for advice on what do or any suggestions, as the repair will cost $2300.00. I beleive it is the principle, as we did everything we possible could to report the issue when the vehicle was under the service warranty. I feel the only option now is to obtain a attorney or notify a news channel to help us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I purchased a 2007 Lexus Rx 350 for my wife at the Jacksonville Lexus Dealership in Florida. Due to the options we requested, they had to order the vehicle. We were told it would take appox 1 month but it took almost 2 months for arrival. When the vehicle arrived, we were not contacted and it sat on the lot being test driven as a regular vehicle. It was not until I showed up at the dealership that I accidently discovered it was my wife's vehicle sitting on the lot. The vehicle was very dirty with dirt all over the floor and pen marks on the driver seat. Additionally, when the technicians installed the satelite radio, they cut a large piece of the dash board.

Through it all, we weren't happy but we worked with the dealership. Unfortunately, they have not worked with us. Upon delivery, we had a large amount of condensation inside the front headlights. We brought this up to the sevice advisor and they only changed the passenger side head light. They did not change the driver side for unknown reasons. As such, eveytime I'm at the dealership for service I would bring up the issue with the water condensation on the driver side. The service advisor said it was normal even though I insisted it seemed quite a bit of water condensation. He went into a great detail of how the headlight unit has a hole that will elimate the water and it is "NORMAL." Since we were not familair with how the headlights function and believe/trusted the service advisor. He did not notate this and proceeded to take care of our other service needs. This convesation occured nearly everytime we visited the dealership and not once did the advisor took a look at it before telling us it was normal. No matter how much we insisted he insisted further that it was normal. At about 42,000 miles, we went back to purchase an extended warranty; again we brought up the fact the car had an unusual amount of water in the headlights, we were again told it was normal. It wasn't until at 57,000 miles that I happend to be close to the dealership that I dropped in to show the service advisor the large amount of condensation on the headlight from rain 4 days ago. He realized at that point what I was trying to convey to him and he acknowledge I had brought this to his attention many times before and would try to take care of the issue for us by contacting Lexus Corp.

As you would have guessed, he did return any phone calls to me even after I left many messages. I had to go the dealership to speak with him. He told me to call Lexus Corp. Lexus Corp initially took my report and my request to have the driver headlight replaced as a "courtesy" because this has been an issue from the begining of our purchase. We have witnesses and even the service advisor admitted we brought this to his attention many times. It was his failure to recognize the significance of the problem and did not address the issue before giving us his speech of how it was normal. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with Lexus Corp.; they too, did not return a single phone call and we had to call numerous times before we finally received an answer of denial secondary to not reporting the issue during warranty. We tried refuting and said they would investigate further and call us back but in the end, we never heard back from them.

I would like the Lexus forum members for advice on what do or any suggestions, as the repair will cost $2300.00. I beleive it is the principle, as we did everything we possible could to report the issue when the vehicle was under the service warranty. I feel the only option now is to obtain a attorney or notify a news channel to help us. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hating such action as much as I do, I would nonetheless recommend starting a small claims court action against the dealer and against Lexus Corp. You will get immediate action from them. Though I am unsure that they will buckle under, I believe it is likely. The costs to you are small, except for inconvenience, and the settlement you agree to should include not only the new headlight and its installation, but also in some form a reimbursement of costs (e.g. next two or three services free to you or something similar). The amount you will claim (e.g. $3,000 incl. extra costs (are you in a State where losers pay the court costs? Not all States do so) such as transportation to show the vehicle, mileage, advice from another mechanic etc...). And, from now on, send all your mailings to the dealer or Lexus as certified mail. It is a big PITA. Good luck!

Hating such action as much as I do, I would nonetheless recommend starting a small claims court action against the dealer and against Lexus Corp. You will get immediate action from them. Though I am unsure that they will buckle under, I believe it is likely. The costs to you are small, except for inconvenience, and the settlement you agree to should include not only the new headlight and its installation, but also in some form a reimbursement of costs (e.g. next two or three services free to you or something similar). The amount you will claim (e.g. $3,000 incl. extra costs (are you in a State where losers pay the court costs? Not all States do so) such as transportation to show the vehicle, mileage, advice from another mechanic etc...). And, from now on, send all your mailings to the dealer or Lexus as certified mail. It is a big PITA. Good luck!

Let me just add: I noticed you were in FL (like me), and FL awards court costs to the 'winner'. So you should claim the cost of repair etc... "+court costs". I would like to add that I am not a lawyer, and you should should consult an attorney...... though you file your claim on your own.

I have had success in the past dealing with other auto makers when the dealer dropped the ball. It should be done before contacting an attorney as it is usually cheaper and faster.

I had a Grand Cherokee that the dealer did a poor job repairing, or "could not repair" certain items. Here is what I did to get this resolved and it has worked with warranty claims for many other products I have owned.

Write a letter. Use your computer/word processor to write a nice letter describing your problems, that they were not handled and a timeline. Very similar to what you have done here. Attach any documentation you have - if you brought the car in for this many times, the service ticket should say "customer notices condensation in headlight". Send your letter certified mail and return receipt requested to the regional customer service office listed in your manual; you can send an additional copy to the North American CEO or consumer relations - find someone very high up.

Putting things in writing gets a lot more attention then a phone call. Remember to keep the tone business like and respectful.

I am surprised that the dealer won't help - especially if the service adviser acknowledges your many trips.

The headlight condensation problem was VERY common in the 04-06 RX330's, but i thought they fixed it for the 07 RX350. Maybe they used the prev. gen parts in your 350 since it was an ordered vehicle.

I can't believe they'd argue with you about this since your car still has the extended warranty. All they need to do is file some paperwork and corporate will pay for the replacement. Usually the dealer doesn't care since they're not the ones paying for the replacement or labor.

I'd just open the back of the headlight and fill the darn thing with a water hose. That would burn out the bulb and possibly do more damage. Then, the dealer would have to get you a new $200 bulb as well has a new housing. If that doesn't get their attention i don't know what will :huh:

A good place to start is filing a complain aginst the dealer and Lexus with the BBB, believe it or not, Lexus takes BBB complains very seriously. Now might be a bad time though, since I am sure Toyota have their hands full with complains from the gas pedal issue.