Ls400 - No More! I Am "ls400 Less".

90LS400Lexus

Well I first want to thank everyone here over the years of my LS400s ownership (since 2003 when I bought my first LS400). I am posting this here, as this is the only Lexus forum I have ever posted in and everyone here knows me.

It is with a little sadness though to report I sold my LS400 today. I had owned it for about 3 years and I tend to get a little sentimental with my cars, even when they are not old, but it was time to let it go to someone that could do more to it than I could. I almost makes me teary eyed when I think of it not being in the driveway. :(

It had been a reliable car and aside from the fan bearing going out and ALOT of power steering issues and most recently a CEL issue (that I am still going to try to help the new owner with) it was a good car. I sold it to someone about 90 miles away that has more time and and automotive know-how than I do, so it can get the attention it needs. I was having a hard time getting straight answers on some issues it had and even the local mechanics seemed to be morons when it came to this car. One even thought it was a V6. :rolleyes: One thought they didnt even offer LS400s until 1991. <_<

I also sold the car at a HUGE loss.... about $1500 less than I paid for it overall, but that was almost 3 years ago, so I suppose I got my monies worth. Also, the PO will have to spend some $ to get it up to par.

I dont know if I will ever buy another LS400... I had said before I never would, but did, only this LS400 had given me more issues than my other did and it even had higher mileage, but I dont know. I am leary now, as I am not a wealthy person and cant afford high cost parts and repair bills.

IF I ever bought another LS400, it will likely be a 1995-97 model and EVERYTHING such as power steering, starter, valve cover gaskets, motor mounts, timing belt, etc will be up to date unless the price is a steal. OR a LOW MILEAGE 1990-94 LS400 that also had most of this taken care of. My goal however is to now purchase a large 90s American luxury car or perhaps another big Toyota 4wd truck. I have even some early-mid 90s Camrys and early 90s Accords on my list. Something easier and less costly to service.

Thanks again for the data over the past few years. I will still visit from time to time.

Well I first want to thank everyone here over the years of my LS400s ownership (since 2003 when I bought my first LS400). I am posting this here, as this is the only Lexus forum I have ever posted in and everyone here knows me.

It is with a little sadness though to report I sold my LS400 today. I had owned it for about 3 years and I tend to get a little sentimental with my cars, even when they are not old, but it was time to let it go to someone that could do more to it than I could. I almost makes me teary eyed when I think of it not being in the driveway. :(

It had been a reliable car and aside from the fan bearing going out and ALOT of power steering issues and most recently a CEL issue (that I am still going to try to help the new owner with) it was a good car. I sold it to someone about 90 miles away that has more time and and automotive know-how than I do, so it can get the attention it needs. I was having a hard time getting straight answers on some issues it had and even the local mechanics seemed to be morons when it came to this car. One even thought it was a V6. :rolleyes: One thought they didnt even offer LS400s until 1991. <_<

I also sold the car at a HUGE loss.... about $1500 less than I paid for it overall, but that was almost 3 years ago, so I suppose I got my monies worth. Also, the PO will have to spend some $ to get it up to par.

I dont know if I will ever buy another LS400... I had said before I never would, but did, only this LS400 had given me more issues than my other did and it even had higher mileage, but I dont know. I am leary now, as I am not a wealthy person and cant afford high cost parts and repair bills.

IF I ever bought another LS400, it will likely be a 1995-97 model and EVERYTHING such as power steering, starter, valve cover gaskets, motor mounts, timing belt, etc will be up to date unless the price is a steal. OR a LOW MILEAGE 1990-94 LS400 that also had most of this taken care of. My goal however is to now purchase a large 90s American luxury car or perhaps another big Toyota 4wd truck. I have even some early-mid 90s Camrys and early 90s Accords on my list. Something easier and less costly to service.

Thanks again for the data over the past few years. I will still visit from time to time.

you will be missed... 95-97 excellent choice. I can drive anything I want, within reason, and these are my choice.

good luck to you..

Not really a loss, $1,500 for three years of driving. A new car 500' off the dealer lot loses more than $1,500 so you did just fine. You also had the enjoyment of a fine luxury ride for the timeframe. Apart from some of your repair frustrations it was mostly good. Bank some money and get one a little newer one so you aren’t getting as many repairs and hope to see you back soon.

I don't think you can drive a car for 3 years without experiencing a large amount of depreciation cost. Most people don't realize that depreciation is most often the most expensive part of owning a car (especially for newer models)!

A mere $500 per year depreciation is next to nothing. You did outstanding! It's true the LS is relatively expensive to maintain compared to conventional Toyotas like the Camry because of it's quirks. Like recently a vibration in the front end developed on my '90 at highway speeds so now I have to put on another set of wheels and tires to see if maybe I just lost a wheel weight or if something more serious might be going on. A regular Toyota doesn't have oddball things happen like that that could potential cause serious damage to ones bank account.

You might consider a 2004-2006 4 cyl Camry with the 4-speed automatic. They get 31-32 MPG on the highway and are easy to maintain. The 4-speed delivers super refined shifting, unlike the later 5 and 6 - speed automatics and the 4 cyl is reasonably powerful without being too noisy. I'd stay away from the '97-'02 Camry V6's due to potential engine sludge problems. All the '96 and earlier Camry's are pretty bulletproof although the V6's seem to have occassional overheating problems as they age. A Lexus ES250 is also nice, but it would be tough to find a low mileage one.

You'll be back ;)

lol. Maybe, but it will take me awhile to recover from this last LS. ;)

Looking at four different vehicles this week... likely next car will be a nice: 1993 Lincoln Town Car (all service records, excellent condtion and low miles), low mileage 1991 Chevy Caprice Classic, 1993 Toyota Camry LE V6 (aka Lexus ES300), but since it has a Toyota name and not Lexus, its so much cheaper to maintain. I can buy this car for $1100... needs a RF fender. I owned a 1993 Camry LE V6 about 6 years ago... super car. Also looking at a nice 1996 Toyota T100 SR5 4wd (3.4L V6).

I am not looking at anything newer. The only 2000+ cars that inspire me are the 2000-02 Toyota Tundras, 2001-02 Lexus LS430s, 2000-2001 Mercedes S420 and the 2003 Honda Accords, but not really wanting a 2000+ model, as I am looking for something LOW priced at this time. I like 80s and 90s cars, so basically trying to find a nice low mile example.

Well what kind of car did you end up buying?

One car I can recomend you is a Ford Taurus.

I had a 2002 Ford Taurus SEL that sold to get my sc400(yeah I know dumb desicion but make a lot of those).

But that one looked a lot like a Lexus inside.

I'm not talkning about the gl or something like that I'm talking about the SEL.

The L stands for leather.

Mine had a complete leather interior just like my sc the kind of leather is different from my SC I don't know if it was real leather or not but itlooked good.

I had all the extra options like a compass in the mirror Mach audio system with EIGHT SPEAKERS,digital climate control and 10 extra horsepower in the engine.

It was a nice car and it was a smooth car also.

Fuel economy was like my Sc and people say that Taurusus lasta long time.

Since people here say that camrys have problems with sludge buildup and overheating I tougt I'd recomend a camry rival.

Maybe you can check if you can find one real cheap.

BUt look for the SEL and nothing else and maybe you'll find one like the one I used to have with all the extra options.

OH did I mention it had remote keyless entry also?

You'll be back ;)

He's right you will definitely be back. I had to sell my '92 LS400 back in 2007 and believe me I wish I had that car back everyday. I ended up trading our '05 LS430 in '06 to get a S Class for my late father. My Benz experience has been quite good, the S is a great car but it's a different kind of car. There isn't anything quite like the LS series and depending on what you like that's both good and bad.

Still the ride and quietness can't be beat. The German competition rides harsher and definitely doesn't have that isolated library quiet ride that the LS does. Actually that's what has me probably coming back to a Lexus. I noticed you were interested in a early 2000s S Class. I'd strongly advise you to stay away from those cars. My '06 has had a ton of warranty work done to it, and that's the revised version of the 2000-1 model. Frankly I wouldn't touch anything past 2008 on a Benz, as the new ones are very good quality wise. I haven't had a single problem with my '09 E other than the rough ride driving me nuts.

Remember these LS400s are old cars now. Even before my '92 got T-boned it started to need suspension work and the Power Steering system crapped out on me. Parts are expensive and the dealer is a ripoff (Not exactly limited to Lexus, Benz charges nearly $300 for a glorified oil change)

Just take your time, and I hope you give Lexus another chance.

-Sam