1991 Ls400 Rack & Pinion

LEXUS 400

Hi:

I just purchased a 1991 Lexus LS400 with 83000 km (52000miles). The car wandered when I purchased it, I had the suspension

checked over by 2 different shops and everything is tight, So I had Lexus install a new Rack and pinion at a cost of $1200.00

The car has the same characteristics and problem with the new rack. If you wiggle the steering wheel in the center position with

the engine idling you feel a loose spot of about 3/8" and the tires do not move. If you turn the steering wheel off the center a bit

i.e. 1/4 turn and wiggle it there is a direct connection with the tires, they move immediately and the loose spot is gone. I have driven

many cars with racks and they are all tight across the center line and they drive straight, you feel connected to the car. This car feels

disconnected with this problem and it randomly wanders, you always have to be on top of it. I have driven a few other LS400's to try

and find out what the issue is and they all have the same characteristics at the center line of the steering wheel and wander. does

anyone have a similar issue. I just can't believe LEXUS built the car that way.

This website is a link to autospeed in Australia, they agree and I wonder why this issue wasn't fixed by Lexus years ago.

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2524/article.html

thanks

LEXUS 400

I own several Toyota cars and pickups and my LS400 has outstanding directional stability. I find very little steering corrections are needed to maintain a straight course on the highway. If you try driving parallel to other LS400 cars while on the freeway, I think you'll notice their owners don't need to make hardly any steering corrections to maintain a straight course.

I think your Lex should go back to the dealer...I bought a rebuilt rack and pinion with the solenoid attached for 285 bux and installed it myself (would have only cost 200 bux to have it installed by a reputable front end shop, but I could do it myself), and have no problem with wandering... Suggest checking other suspension and steering related parts for wear and tear also. Good luck with the dealers, Bobby

Hi:

I just purchased a 1991 Lexus LS400 with 83000 km (52000miles). The car wandered when I purchased it, I had the suspension

checked over by 2 different shops and everything is tight, So I had Lexus install a new Rack and pinion at a cost of $1200.00

The car has the same characteristics and problem with the new rack. If you wiggle the steering wheel in the center position with

the engine idling you feel a loose spot of about 3/8" and the tires do not move. If you turn the steering wheel off the center a bit

i.e. 1/4 turn and wiggle it there is a direct connection with the tires, they move immediately and the loose spot is gone. I have driven

many cars with racks and they are all tight across the center line and they drive straight, you feel connected to the car. This car feels

disconnected with this problem and it randomly wanders, you always have to be on top of it. I have driven a few other LS400's to try

and find out what the issue is and they all have the same characteristics at the center line of the steering wheel and wander. does

anyone have a similar issue. I just can't believe LEXUS built the car that way.

Thanks

LEXUS 400

• 1 month later...

I had a similar problem on my very early 1989 LS400, chassis number 1476!! The problem was the rubber mounts holding the steering rack. If you climbed underneath and watched the rack while someone rocked the steering wheel back and forth, making sure it goes through the centre position each way, you could see the rack move within the mounting rubbers. May not be your problem, but worth a look-see.