Engine Oil Capacity?

CReynolds

Hello everyone,

I have a '98 LS400. I changed the engine oil and oil filter. I filled the engine with 6 quarts of Mobil 1. However, the oil on the dipstick measures about a 1/4 of a quart low.

What is the correct amount of oil needed?

Thanks for the help.

I have a similar 00 LS400 so 6 quarts sounds right. Did you use an OEM oil filter or one that holds more oil than an OEM oil filter. Did have your car on a slight incline when you checked the oil level. Check your owners manual.

I am using the OEM Toyota oil filter. The car is parked in my garage, which is level.

Owners manual states, with an oil filter, the amount of oil should be 5.9 quarts.

However, there is another oil capacity specification for a dry fill. The amount of oil needed is 7.4 quarts.

I'm wondering if by draining the crankcase when cold, I may have drained more than the 6 quarts.

I find it strange that there is still 1.5 quarts left in the engine when the oil is drained.

I find it strange that there is still 1.5 quarts left in the engine when the oil is drained.

Some oil is left in an engine when its oil is changed -- same for a transmission.

My 00 LS takes just under 6 quarts of oil when I change the oil and filter which you have verified is what the owners manual says it should take.

Everythings fine.

I went ahead and added another 1/2 a quart to take the oil to the Full line. I know I said that the oil looked to be about 1/4 low earlier.

I have a theory as to why the dipstick reads low. I was looking at an unopened quart of Mobil 1, and noticed that the level was just above the 28 ounce line.

So, lets say that there is only about 29 ounces of oil in the bottle. This would be short about 3 ounces, and over 6 quarts, this would be a shortage of 18 ounces. Which is a little over a half quart.

What do you think?

FYI Mobil 1 bottle caps tend to be lose. When you buy your oil put a good twist on all of the caps. I have forgotten to do that and with the bottles on their sides in my trunk on the way home I lost a bit of brand new oil. Alway's use the dipstick to measure if your quantity is right, don't just go by how much you pour in. Pour in 6 qts, start the car for about 10 seconds or so and shut it off. Check the dipstick again and add more if you have to.