Lexus Es 350 Vvti Oil Line Failures

Akachan LS

Has anyone here heard about the VVTi oil hose line problem that Lexus is having with the 2007-2008 ES 350 models? The rubber portion of the line can rupture causing oil to gush out, thus toasting the engine. Here is a link to a description of the problem: http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

The oil hose line on the 2009-2010s has been replaced with a solid metal line, while the supposed fix for some of the 07-08s is to replace the rubber hose with another rubber hose.

Has anyone here heard about the VVTi oil hose line problem that Lexus is having with the 2007-2008 ES 350 models? The rubber portion of the line can rupture causing oil to gush out, thus toasting the engine. Here is a link to a description of the problem: http://sites.google.com/site/toyotav6oillinescandal/

The oil hose line on the 2009-2010s has been replaced with a solid metal line, while the supposed fix for some of the 07-08s is to replace the rubber hose with another rubber hose.

Look here for a video of the leak on a 2GR-FE engine: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=22775

I bought the parts at my local Toyota dealer (all metal line and gaskets) for $31 and my ES goes to the dealer tomorrow morning for the install (they quoted 1 hour $109 for labor).

Part numbers are: 15772-31030 oil pipe, 90430-16012 gasket(2), 90430-16016 gasket, 90430-16017 gasket. The pipe is all metal.

The campaign for free replacement is Campaign 923. My vin is not on it so I am paying myself. $140 is cheaper than a new engine. Note: This also efects the RX350

video:

If this is a systemic issue I imagine Lexus would make owners aware of the problem, and fix it. I personally have not heard of this until now.

If my engine goes out before 50,000 miles and I have all of my service records - no skin off my teeth, replace away!

;)

If this is a systemic issue I imagine Lexus would make owners aware of the problem, and fix it. I personally have not heard of this until now.

If my engine goes out before 50,000 miles and I have all of my service records - no skin off my teeth, replace away!

;)

I would really not want to have a dealer replace an engine and hope all would be Ok long term. But that is just me. Plus I have about 700 miles of warranty left. As well as my wife drives this car most of the time and I don't want her getting stranded.

Well, I took it in with the parts and they looked up my vin number (again) and it is covered for replacement but they only replace the rubber hose portion with one that is heavier and won't burst. Since it's free I'll just take my parts back and all is good. So call your dealer and make them look it up first. But I am wondering if I didn't actually bring my own replacement part in if they would have done the replacement since I did not get a letter from Lexus on this issue.

Akachan LS,

I am new to the site and I am just learning how to reply, etc. I hope this is correct. I belong to a Lexus Driver Owner Benefits club, I am providing the link

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...enefits/home.do

This site allows you to register and provide your vehicle VIN#. In a short time all of my service history and other information was provided under the heading of "My Lexus", "Service". Along with this information the site provides "Service Campaign Alerts" These alerts are based on your personal vehicle information. In the last day or two, I only noticed today they have posted two service campaigns, one for the gas pedal, floor mat issue and the other for the problem you mentioned with a campaign expiration date of March 31, 2013. They mention that the replacement is with a new design, but they do not give the types of material they are using. I hope this information sheds some light on the subject and if you are not familiar with the site I mentioned you and other might find that information helpful also. I attempted to send this reply once before but I think I made a mistake when I tried to reply. If it appears twice, I apologize.

Travelguy,

Akachan LS,

I am new to the site and I am just learning how to reply, etc. I hope this is correct. I belong to a Lexus Driver Owner Benefits club, I am providing the link

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrive...enefits/home.do

This site allows you to register and provide your vehicle VIN#. In a short time all of my service history and other information was provided under the heading of "My Lexus", "Service". Along with this information the site provides "Service Campaign Alerts" These alerts are based on your personal vehicle information. In the last day or two, I only noticed today they have posted two service campaigns, one for the gas pedal, floor mat issue and the other for the problem you mentioned with a campaign expiration date of March 31, 2013. They mention that the replacement is with a new design, but they do not give the types of material they are using. I hope this information sheds some light on the subject and if you are not familiar with the site I mentioned you and other might find that information helpful also. I attempted to send this reply once before but I think I made a mistake when I tried to reply. If it appears twice, I apologize.

Travelguy,

Thanks a lot for the infomation Travelguy. I am also new to this site. I believe that this is only my second post here. I am currently registered at that site at Lexus' owners site. My ES is a 2008, a (7/'08) build, but the Special Service Campaign only lists the floor mat campaign for my car. I even went so far as to call my local dealer and Lexus' customer assistance center about the issue. The dealer didn't seem to have a clue, and customer assistance claimed that my car was not affected by the defective rubber oil lines. On close inspection of my car, it does appear that there is a rubber hose used in that area. The later '09 and '10s I believe now come with solid metal VVTi oil lines. This makes me and others question that if the updated more robust rubber hose is a sufficient fix, then why are they using the solid metal lines in the new cars?

Thanks for the information. I had an oil leak. Sewell Lexus determined it was the timing cover which is noted in TSIB EG010-07 date 4/12/2007. They replaced the timing cover, VVTi Oil hose, underboddy plugs, driver's seat belt and added grease to the anti-squeal shim in the rear brakes. I asked for the metal version of the VVTi Oil hose but Lexus Customer Service Technical said they did not make one for the model year 07. The newer model uses an all metal line but I was told the shape and design of the newer VVTi Oil line was different and would not fit on MY07 engine event though it is the same engine. I suspect using an all metal VVTi oil line on bank 1 could cause a rattling noise between the oil line and the VV timing cover. Just a guess on my part. I've read others speculate this new oil hose should last between 10-15 years.

MY07 ES350 (10/2006), 42K miles

Akachan LS, I read your reply. My ES is also a 2008, but in resolving the brake squealing issue that some of the 07 and 08 models have experienced I noticed that the VIN# has some bearing on vehicle and notification information. In the TSIB for the brake squeal recall it says that there is a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty covering this issue, but it also gave a VIN# that the recall appears to end at that years model. If that makes any sense. I am only guessing to why you may not have received an alert at the owners benefit site. It may be that Lexus had developed a fix before your 2008 was assembled. Only a guess. I would suggest documenting who, when and where I spoke with someone. However, I can attempt to copy and paste the alert from my alert and email the information to you if you feel that would help you at the dealership. Just give me your email address if this seems to be a solution.

Good luck,

A Lexus part dept guy told me the brake pads in the '10 are different because of the complaints of owners of '07-'09's having brake noise.

The '10 pads seem to be high friction because they produce a bit more dust than the older pads.

I asked for the metal version of the VVTi Oil hose but Lexus Customer Service Technical said they did not make one for the model year 07. The newer model uses an all metal line but I was told the shape and design of the newer VVTi Oil line was different and would not fit on MY07 engine event though it is the same engine. I suspect using an all metal VVTi oil line on bank 1 could cause a rattling noise between the oil line and the VV timing cover. Just a guess on my part. I've read others speculate this new oil hose should last between 10-15 years.

The all metal line fits any 2GR-FE engine. The delaers don't want to install it because it takes 2-3 hours more labor than the simpleton rubber hose they can do in an hour. The whole "different part" garbage is just plain old car salesman type BS. If you take the metal line to a Toyota independent mechanic he will install it no problem. But to do so you need to remove the serpentine belt & unbolt the power steering pump and remove the cam cover. Very labor intensive. Toyota only pays 1 hour for the job. My neighbor has a 2009 Rav4 with the same engine & all metal line. It is 100% identical.

Akachan LS, I read your reply. My ES is also a 2008, but in resolving the brake squealing issue that some of the 07 and 08 models have experienced I noticed that the VIN# has some bearing on vehicle and notification information. In the TSIB for the brake squeal recall it says that there is a 4 year, 50,000 mile warranty covering this issue, but it also gave a VIN# that the recall appears to end at that years model. If that makes any sense. I am only guessing to why you may not have received an alert at the owners benefit site. It may be that Lexus had developed a fix before your 2008 was assembled. Only a guess. I would suggest documenting who, when and where I spoke with someone. However, I can attempt to copy and paste the alert from my alert and email the information to you if you feel that would help you at the dealership. Just give me your email address if this seems to be a solution.

Good luck,

Thanks travelguy for the offer, I really appreciate that, but I now feel quite certain that Lexus did come up with a proper fix for the issue. I just find it odd that they decided to use an all metal line on the newer models.

Yes, the vin# was used to verify that my car was not affected by the VVTi TSB. From what I understand only some 2008 models are affected by the TSB. They must have used the updated more robust version of the VVTi rubber hose in my case.

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Look here for a video of the leak on a 2GR-FE engine: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=22775

I bought the parts at my local Toyota dealer (all metal line and gaskets) for $31 and my ES goes to the dealer tomorrow morning for the install (they quoted 1 hour $109 for labor).

Part numbers are: 15772-31030 oil pipe, 90430-16012 gasket(2), 90430-16016 gasket, 90430-16017 gasket. The pipe is all metal.

The campaign for free replacement is Campaign 923. My vin is not on it so I am paying myself. $140 is cheaper than a new engine. Note: This also efects the RX350

video:

As an update to this topic. It appears that Lexus may be a bit more accommodating in regards to the repair to this service campaign (9LH). I am just now requesting an appointment for this repair from my local dealer. After our earlier conversation in this post, I used the information that KBRX330 provided when he gave the part number for the all metal line (#15772-31030). I went into the dealership on a recent weekend and sat down and talked with them about scheduling the repairs. I asked about the repairs and told them the concerns I had with the heavier hose replace and the longevity of the repair. I also mentioned the safety of my family on trips and away from home. The dealer said he understood and then I mention the all metal line that KBRX330 had listed and I offered this information and to pay any additional cost for that replacement instead of the heavier hose. The dealer seemed surprised and agreed to check into the all metal hose. He contacted me this week and said he had gotten approval from some representative, I not sure who or from where. They will repair my vehicle (2008 ES) with the all metal line and there is no additional cost. First I want to thank Akachan LS for bringing up the issue in the January post and a special thank you to KBRX330 for the research and thoughtfulness of posting the all metal line information. I really feel this is the correct way to repair this defect and hopefully through combined efforts and sharing information with sites like this we can help each other receive the type of service we expect and deserve. I know I will continue to try to do my small part whenever possible.

• 3 years later...

Yes, I've heard about the oil line failures, but I haven't been able to find a line fitting the description.

I'm a new owner of a used 2007 ES 350 with 70,500 miles and it appears to be in excellent condition. But I want to prevent any problems, such as destruction of the engine by oil loss!

So, where is this oil line? I have searched all around the engine and don't find any lines that appear to be oil lines.

Is it possible my vehicle doesn't have it? If so, what options are required to have an engine oil cooler?

The only visible oil lines go to the radiator for the transmission oil cooler, and they return to the transmission.

Thank you for your assistance,

Santaklos

• 8 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...