Battery Indicator

HBL

I have a 2004 GX470 with the original battery. Lately I could tell the battery was going bad when starting the car. I took the battery to Advance Auto Parts and they tested it and the test said it was still good but it needed a charge. I brought it home, cleaned up the indicator window that is on top of the battery. The indicator also showed that the battery just needed to be recharged (red dot with a white ring around it). I have been slow charging the battery (2 amps) for the last 24 hours and the indicator has not changed. I am thinking this basically means the battery is not recoverable. Has this happened to anyone else?

More than once I have had a battery test as being "good" but it wouldn't take a charge. The owner of the indie repair shop that does the more complicated maintenance on our Toyota and Lexus cars has a theory that the connections between battery cells separate and reconnect at random when a battery starts to fail allowing the battery to sometimes show being bad and sometimes good. I've had batteries test as being good when I've tested them with a hydrometer but they won't take a charge. I usually let my 30+ year old cheap Western Auto battery charger be the final judge -- it clearly indicates when a battery is shot.

I think you are doing great if your original battery has lasted about 6 years. Neither of the original batteries in my two LS400's lasted that long and the aftermarket brand batteries I've bought - even the expensive ones - have had shorter lives than the original Toyota/Lexus batteries.

I've generally gotten 3 to 4 years out of aftermarket batteries in one of my LS400's but I've had one fail after only a year. The wife's 98 Camry has lots less electronic equipment and its batteries last longer -- its original battery lasted about seven years so she insisted on another Toyota brand battery.

There is a lot of info on the Internet about car batteries but here is one that seems particularly good and explains why batteries have a shorter life in newer cars: http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

More than once I have had a battery test as being "good" but it wouldn't take a charge. The owner of the indie repair shop that does the more complicated maintenance on our Toyota and Lexus cars has a theory that the connections between battery cells separate and reconnect at random when a battery starts to fail allowing the battery to sometimes show being bad and sometimes good. I've had batteries test as being good when I've tested them with a hydrometer but they won't take a charge. I usually let my 30+ year old cheap Western Auto battery charger be the final judge -- it clearly indicates when a battery is shot.

I think you are doing great if your original battery has lasted about 6 years. Neither of the original batteries in my two LS400's lasted that long and the aftermarket brand batteries I've bought - even the expensive ones - have had shorter lives than the original Toyota/Lexus batteries.

I've generally gotten 3 to 4 years out of aftermarket batteries in one of my LS400's but I've had one fail after only a year. The wife's 98 Camry has lots less electronic equipment and its batteries last longer -- its original battery lasted about seven years so she insisted on another Toyota brand battery.

There is a lot of info on the Internet about car batteries but here is one that seems particularly good and explains why batteries have a shorter life in newer cars: http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

Thanks for the feedback. And you are correct, six years is good to get out of a battery.

Most vehicle OEM batteries are bottom of the line 36-month warranty types. If you've achieved more than this from the original battery consider yourself fortunate. If you live in an extreme climate area (Phoenix or Minneapolis) getting even 3 years on an original battery is lucky. Batteries don't charge well in extreme heat and cold, and this affects battery life. If you're looking for a replacement battery, I recommend springing some extra $$$ for an Optima. An Optima battery will set you back $150-$200, but is maintenance free, and has incredible longevity. I've had one in my Jeep Wrangler for 10+ years (that I run a snow plow on in the winter). The Optima is still going strong. When my GX470 battery craps out, I'll be replacing it with an Optima.