Netural Safety Switch

chromiez

I have a 1991 LS400. one day i was moving my car and then it wouldnt start. the battery working because the radio and every other electrical thing worked. at first i thought it was the starter, but a mechanic checked it out for me and told me the netural safety switch was faulty and i could only start my car in N not P. luckily it hasent happened too often where i have to start the car in N. at lexus a replacement netural safety switch goes for about $280, but i was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

I don't think your problem is particularly common, I haven't seen many posts if any at all concerning your problem. I can see why the switch is a little on the pricey side, looking at the shop manual for a 93 model, the park/neutral switch is also used for inputs into the electronic controlled transmission to tell the transmission what your gear selection is. My manual shows a total of 10 terminals in the connector to the switch. The manual talks about adjusting the switch but I did not find any particular instructions for making any adjustments.