Slide Pin

brended

I was replacing brake pads on my sc300 today and was about to finish when I came across a stuck slide pin. I have the bracket off and have managed to get the boot and small metal piece it is attached to out. I can turn the bolt, but it doesn't come out. I have beat on it with a hammer and chisel as well as sprayed it numerous times with wd40, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas how to get this out. I have read on other threads about this happening, but never a really good solution. I am thinking I might need to buy a propane torch and heat the bracket and see if I can beat it out with it heated up.

Thanks,

Michael

I was replacing brake pads on my sc300 today and was about to finish when I came across a stuck slide pin. I have the bracket off and have managed to get the boot and small metal piece it is attached to out. I can turn the bolt, but it doesn't come out. I have beat on it with a hammer and chisel as well as sprayed it numerous times with wd40, but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas how to get this out. I have read on other threads about this happening, but never a really good solution. I am thinking I might need to buy a propane torch and heat the bracket and see if I can beat it out with it heated up.

Thanks,

Michael

So if anyone ever has this issue, here is how to fix it. Get a torch (I used propane) and heat the caliper mounting bracket (torque plate) and then take a chisel and hammer and beat the thing out. I tried invane for hours to get it to move. I could turn it with a rachet, but it wouldn't come out; whether I was turning it or hitting it with a chisel and a hammer. I went and bought a torch and heated it for several minutes and took my hammer and chisel back to it. After only 3 hits it popped out.

Michael

Thanks,

Michael

So if anyone ever has this issue, here is how to fix it. Get a torch (I used propane) and heat the caliper mounting bracket (torque plate) and then take a chisel and hammer and beat the thing out. I tried invane for hours to get it to move. I could turn it with a rachet, but it wouldn't come out; whether I was turning it or hitting it with a chisel and a hammer. I went and bought a torch and heated it for several minutes and took my hammer and chisel back to it. After only 3 hits it popped out.

Michael

So much for easy peasy, lol. Any pics? Too bad you didn't get any help on this one. Though the weekend is the best time to work on the car for most of us, it's also the worst time for help from forums or getting parts that you forgot to buy or break in the process. Good that you worked it out! :cheers:

Thanks,

Michael

Michael

So much for easy peasy, lol. Any pics? Too bad you didn't get any help on this one. Though the weekend is the best time to work on the car for most of us, it's also the worst time for help from forums or getting parts that you forgot to buy or break in the process. Good that you worked it out! :cheers:

Hey! I do have pics. I am going to try to get them up sometime this week. I also, rotated the tires for the first time since we owned the car. The Lexus dealer put 2 new tires on the back and left the old Potenza's on the front. I noticed some tramlining when we bought it, but didn't really realize what it was. It was getting pretty bad as of late and I was about to order the lower control arms, but after rotating the tires, it's like day and night. I would say at least 90% of the tramlining is gone.