Leather Repair

Perhaps this is more general than the Lexus GS thread, but I'm looking at a used GS that has some damage to the back seat - it looks like the previous owner had children in a child seat, which tore part of the leather in the seat back (two 2 inch tears connected at a 90 degree angle) on the driver side and stretched out the leather on the seat on the passenger side (so that the leather wrinkles very noticeably). Since they are selling this CPO, the dealer indicated that both issues will be fixed on their dime, although they are using a leather repair shop rather than replacing the leather itself.

Does anyone have any experience with leather repairs? Can the stretching even be repaired or does the leather have to be replaced? Not noticible would the repairs be? I was assured they would be unnoticeable, but since its preforated leather I have my doubts, and I was not aware thay stretching can be repaired.

Thanks for anyone with experience in this area.

Perhaps this is more general than the Lexus GS thread, but I'm looking at a used GS that has some damage to the back seat - it looks like the previous owner had children in a child seat, which tore part of the leather in the seat back (two 2 inch tears connected at a 90 degree angle) on the driver side and stretched out the leather on the seat on the passenger side (so that the leather wrinkles very noticeably). Since they are selling this CPO, the dealer indicated that both issues will be fixed on their dime, although they are using a leather repair shop rather than replacing the leather itself.

Does anyone have any experience with leather repairs? Can the stretching even be repaired or does the leather have to be replaced? Not noticible would the repairs be? I was assured they would be unnoticeable, but since its preforated leather I have my doubts, and I was not aware thay stretching can be repaired.

Leather repair is almost unnoticable if performed properly, Only you will know that the repair has been done. If you are not satisfied with the repair send it back for adjustment. Lexus CPO should stand behind the adjustment.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

Leather repair is almost unnoticable if performed properly, Only you will know that the repair has been done. If you are not satisfied with the repair send it back for adjustment. Lexus CPO should stand behind the adjustment.

Welcome to the club :cheers:

Thanks for the reply. Probably should specify, both the stretched area and the tear are in the area of the seat with the little holes, does this create problems?

Always amazes me that dealers don't have stuff like this fixed on CPO's before they put the car on the lot for sale. Seems to me like they'd want the cars in near-perfect condition to sell them, especially at the highly inflated prices they charge on most CPO's.

Tell them you'll consider buying the car after you've seen the repair. If they refuse, time to look at other vehicles!

There's no way they're gonna repair a tear in perforated leather. You will always be able to see the "line" where the tear uses to be, and unless they use a pin and a magnifying glass to poke new holes... yeah, don't think it's going to happen.

And they can't do anything about the stretching either. It might fix itself with age, but i doubt it.

But let the repair people do their thing. If it doesn't come out perfect, make a fuss and insist they replace the leather in that area. Since it's CPO they can write it off so corporate won't complain...

If you make a big enough deal about it, they'll do it.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with cduluk, leather repair guys can do amazing things, but perforated leather is very hard to work on. Also the stretch marks and wrinkles can made to look less noticable, but it will not be like new.

• 6 months later...

Speaking of leather repairs, It seemed to me that someone spilled ink on the passenger seat of my GS, does anyone know if they have a product to remove that?

I watched someone once get ink off a leather seat panel using hairspray. Aquanet I believe.

steviej

Speaking of leather repairs, It seemed to me that someone spilled ink on the passenger seat of my GS, does anyone know if they have a product to remove that?

I watched someone once get ink off a leather seat panel using hairspray. Aquanet I believe.

steviej

Was it an ald stain? Either way ill give it a shot wish me luck.

• 11 years later...

Is this is a small tear or rip in the leather seat don't spend a crazy amount of money to fix it.  I've tested many products on my own care and found one that works great and the kit is like 14.00.  Well worth paying this price over dealer repair.  Top 5 Best Leather Repair Kits (askarepairman.com)