Rx Or Es

Bill es300

We are selling our 1999 ES300 and buying a 2010. I retired two years ago and we travel a few times a year to Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. I think the RX is the ideal vehicle for us, more room for the stuff we seem to accumulate wherever we go, the seats sit a little higher which makes my knee feel better on a long trip. I amthinking of a 2 wheel drive, we live in northern CA. and don'have much use for AWD, are there other advantages to AWD than snow or ice ? The only advantage to GPS is the backup camera, anyone disagree and have other ideas.

The ES is a beautiful car, I like everything about it, better ride, better milage, less expensive.

I would appreciate any and all ideas about either car, my wife likes the ES better however she will go along with the RX if I whine about my knee.

Thanks Very much

Bill

PS I have a truck that my wife hates to ride in, too rough a ride.

I would say both the 010 ES and 010 Rx are built equally as well, it's just a matter of taste. The current generation ES came out for the 07 model year, and you'll probably see the next generation in 2012 or so. The current RX generation is new for 2010 and probably won't see its next generation until 2015. So the RX will remain more current for longer compared with the ES.

Personally i like being up higher. It would have to be a "lot of car" for me to switch to a sedan from the RX.

There aren't any advantages with going AWD vs FWD unless you drive in snow. The FWD is a simpler design which will probably have less problems down the road, and the gas mileage is better with FWD vs AWD. I believe the FWD is a hair quicker than the AWD as well (except for the hybrids).

But there is NOTHING that would ever get me into the 2010 Rx. I personally find the styling boring and inadequate....

We are selling our 1999 ES300 and buying a 2010. I retired two years ago and we travel a few times a year to Oregon, Nevada and Arizona. I think the RX is the ideal vehicle for us, more room for the stuff we seem to accumulate wherever we go, the seats sit a little higher which makes my knee feel better on a long trip. I amthinking of a 2 wheel drive, we live in northern CA. and don'have much use for AWD, are there other advantages to AWD than snow or ice ? The only advantage to GPS is the backup camera, anyone disagree and have other ideas.

The ES is a beautiful car, I like everything about it, better ride, better milage, less expensive.

I would appreciate any and all ideas about either car, my wife likes the ES better however she will go along with the RX if I whine about my knee.

Thanks Very much

Bill

I've spent a bit of time in both ES and RX loaner vehicles when my LS has been in for service and I also retired about two years ago. My idea of the perfect retirement/travel vehicle is not a Lexus at all but is still a vehicle made by Toyota Motor Company -- the Toyota Sienna van. You can get almost all the features in a Sienna that you can get in an RX or ES ... HID headlights, memory/leather seats, distronic cruise control, nav, bluetooth, backup cam, AWD, rear entertainment systems, sunroof, etc., etc. It's got the same engine as the RX and ES, carries lots of people and their luggage, and rides and handles very nicely. I love the dual power sliding, remote control side doors. It seems huge inside while, to me, the RX seems small and cramped. Maybe it's just me but the Sienna seems to handle better than an RX -- I was amazed.

I particularly like the driving position of the Sienna -- a bit higher seating and large side windows like you used to get on cars.

Both my wife and I have rented Siennas -- she on business trips and both of us together on vacation. It's our preferred rental vehicle and I hope to get a rental Sienna when we land at the San Jose airport in a few weeks to do a little sightseeing down the coast towards Monteray and San Simeon.

It really depends on what your needs are, do you want a sedan or an SUV?

I love driving my smooth quiet sedan for work and during the week. On trips however I miss having a SUV like vehicle with a nice high driving position on the highway, the ability to pull into gravel and rocky parking lots when needed, a hatch and a loadable cargo area, and a rack for skis, etc. The perfect situation for me would be to do what I am trying to do, keep a luxury sedan for myself and get my wife a crossover SUV type vehicle that we can drive on trips.

If I were you in your situation I'd probably look at the RX...

I agree with SWO. If you don't have an SUV (or wagon) type vehicle in your garage, now would be a good time to get one, and the RX is a great pick. When it comes to trips, our 4runner is the only vehicle for us, even though it's not nearly as smooth or as quiet as the sedan sitting next to it. Like SWO said, the driving position, cargo ability, and all-weather confidence, makes up for any "bumpy" ride characteristics by a mile!

However, don't forget about Subaru Outbacks too. They offer both! Get through anything, haul anything, and ride like a car! Infact, they're one of the only car makers to have not lost any market share during this recession!

Additional kudos here to the Subaru Outback. When we sold my wife's dog-of-a-vehicle 2000 RX300 AWD in late January 2007, I tried my best to get her to go with an Outback as a replacement. She opted for a 2004 RX330 AWD instead. While that vehicle has been much better than her 2000 RX300 crapmobile could ever dream of being, I still believe that an Outback would have been the far better choice for her needs....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Very much

Bill

The redesign RX is in its 1st year of production, it has some minor quality issues. I would wait until 2011 to buy the RX if thats the car you want. On the other hand, the ES is into its 4th or 5th year of production. All the bugs have been worked out and they actaully made some improvements in the 2010 ES.

AWD is not just for snow, it will improved traction in rain, gravel and sand. Of couse being in CA, its probably not worth the extra money since you will not use it enough.