Sc300 Brake Pad Replacement

brended

Hello All! I am about to change the brake pads on my 98 SC300. I have changed brake pads before and always just siphoned off a little of the fluid out of the reservoir and then used a c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. However, I keep reading that it is better to open the bleeder screw up and push the piston in, thus letting the brake fluid come out of the bleeder screw. Has anyone ever had a problem just pushing the fluid back up into the system? Is is better to let the fluid out of the bleeder screw? Would letting it out the bleeder screw then require me to have to bleed the system?

Thanks!

Michael

This may or may not have to do with the answer, but on another car I had I did a brake fluid flush by using the bleeders to remove the old while I put new fluid in the master cylinder. The rear were drum brakes, and a few days later they started leaking fluid. I think what happened was all the trash in the lines went to the rear brake slave cylinders (you start with the farthest away, right?), where the heavy crap settled while the fluid came out the top (bleeder). The crud then scored the rubber piston parts and they leaked. Point is when you use a c-clamp (and I always have), you are pushing the crap back in the line, but if you use the bleeder the heavy crap is still in the caliper. Either way, the crap is in there, so I don't know what's best. It would depend on the mileage and road conditions. At some point you need to clean out the calipers and flush the lines separately, and our cars are pretty old. My 93 is 17 years old, yours is 12. Damn.

Hello All! I am about to change the brake pads on my 98 SC300. I have changed brake pads before and always just siphoned off a little of the fluid out of the reservoir and then used a c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. However, I keep reading that it is better to open the bleeder screw up and push the piston in, thus letting the brake fluid come out of the bleeder screw. Has anyone ever had a problem just pushing the fluid back up into the system? Is is better to let the fluid out of the bleeder screw? Would letting it out the bleeder screw then require me to have to bleed the system?

Thanks!

Michael

I have never had a problem, but it is possible to mess the caliper up using a clamp without first bleeding the caliper. If you loosen up the bleeder screw you will need to bleed the system. its easy tho :P just get a friend to pump the brakes 3 times then on the 3rd time have them hold pressure on it while you bleed the air....tighten the screw back up and repeat this process on each caliper until you have all the air removed and you just see fluid coming out. be sure to keep the brake master cylinder topped off so it doesn't run out while your bleeding the system (it'll suck air into the system otherwise) GOOD LUCK! :cheers:

post-106115-1263597613_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Michael

If you're not due for a flush, then it's just a precautionary step that's a no brainer because there's nothing to it.

Here's the link to a previous post on this subject that you might find helpful:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=391197

Thanks!

Michael

I have never had a problem, but it is possible to mess the caliper up using a clamp without first bleeding the caliper. If you loosen up the bleeder screw you will need to bleed the system. its easy tho :P just get a friend to pump the brakes 3 times then on the 3rd time have them hold pressure on it while you bleed the air....tighten the screw back up and repeat this process on each caliper until you have all the air removed and you just see fluid coming out. be sure to keep the brake master cylinder topped off so it doesn't run out while your bleeding the system (it'll suck air into the system otherwise) GOOD LUCK! :cheers:

Thanks for the input! I think I am going to just try to do it without opening the bleeder screw. I have changed prob. a dozen sets of pads and shoes and never had any trouble. Last year I replaced the front pads and rotors on my ES300 and didn't bleed them and everything was just fine. I have a pdf manual for a GS300 (can't find one for the SC300 anywhere) and it doesn't mention anything about opening the bleeder screw, just pushing the piston back in.

I noticed you are in Tupelo. I went to MS State for grad school. We would come to Tupelo to concerts and for shopping. I also have family over in Hamilton, Al. just across the line. I always liked Tupelo and after living in Jackson for 2 years and Starkvegas for 2, I think Tupelo is probably my favorite city in Mississippi.

Thanks Again!

Michael

Thanks!

Michael

To bleed the caliper without having to bleed the system just make sure the bleeder is open only under pressure and only slightly to keep the pressure up. In other words, only open the screw when pressure is being applied to the pistons. Close the screw before releasing the piston. Easy peasy! Personally, I bleed the caliper and the rubber hose when replacing pads. Takes no time and you get fresh fluid into that section. Again no probs, just switch pressure from the caliper to the brake pedal. Having extra long legs and arms helps, but the best solution is to have a second body.

Thanks!

Michael

To bleed the caliper without having to bleed the system just make sure the bleeder is open only under pressure and only slightly to keep the pressure up. In other words, only open the screw when pressure is being applied to the pistons. Close the screw before releasing the piston. Easy peasy! Personally, I bleed the caliper and the rubber hose when replacing pads. Takes no time and you get fresh fluid into that section. Again no probs, just switch pressure from the caliper to the brake pedal. Having extra long legs and arms helps, but the best solution is to have a second body.

Thanks for advice!! I may give that a try tommorrow. I just don't want to end up having to bleed the entire system as I need the car to be up and going by Monday and I haven't bleed brakes in years and thus am a little rusty in my knowledge. I can see where it would be much better to get some fresh fluid down there.

Thanks Again! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Michael

Thanks for advice!! I may give that a try tommorrow. I just don't want to end up having to bleed the entire system as I need the car to be up and going by Monday and I haven't bleed brakes in years and thus am a little rusty in my knowledge. I can see where it would be much better to get some fresh fluid down there.

Michael

That's the spirit! :cheers:

Just remember to keep an eye on the reservoir level as 007 mentioned, and don't overtighten the screws!

Couple other things, when bleeding calipers, do the opposite to LexLS's excellent tutorial. When pushing the pistons back in, make sure the reservoir cap has not been removed. Otherwise you won't build any pressure. Also make sure you have more fluid than what you think you might need. A little bit more is always better than just not enough!

Thanks!

Michael

If you're not due for a flush, then it's just a precautionary step that's a no brainer because there's nothing to it.

Here's the link to a previous post on this subject that you might find helpful:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=391197

I would go ahead and bleed and replace all the brake fluid since your car is a 98 and brake fluid usually absorbs 2-3% moisture a year. This can lead to brake fade(due to the inefficiency of the now contaminated fluid)and fluid boiling inside the caliper. In extreme cases in can also cause corrosion inside the master cylinder, lines and calipers. Thanks for the nice comments about tupelo :) I like it too ;) If you need any walk thru on anything just PM me and I'll give you my number.

post-106115-1263652106_thumb.jpg

Michael

I would go ahead and bleed and replace all the brake fluid since your car is a 98 and brake fluid usually absorbs 2-3% moisture a year. This can lead to brake fade(due to the inefficiency of the now contaminated fluid)and fluid boiling inside the caliper. In extreme cases in can also cause corrosion inside the master cylinder, lines and calipers. Thanks for the nice comments about tupelo :) I like it too ;) If you need any walk thru on anything just PM me and I'll give you my number.

I missed the potion of your post that you haven't changed the fluid for a few years. I'd have to agree with 007 that it's time to flush the system. Even though it's for an LS and the details are different, here's a diy tutorial:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/bleeding.html