Cel On Again! Giving Up.

90LS400Lexus

Well... again, it hit 85 miles after the CEL was reset and the light came back on, again when at highway speed. I was so angry, I punched the gas for about 4 seconds. :angry:

After all of my power steering issues were finally solved, I decide to get the throttle body cleaned for $45 at the shop (had a hesitation)... this cleaning soon (next morning) tripped the CEL light. Ran code, showing it was the EGR (code 71), spent another $56 to have it cleaned at the shop... get the car back, now not only does it have a tapping sound at idle that sounds like a knock (which I am told it probably an exhaust leak at the EGR), and now the check engine light comes on AGAIN on my way home from work!

Has anyone every seriously considered taking a sledge hammer to their car? I am SERIOUSLY considering it. I have babied this car since day one... I am done with that now.

Sad part is I have this car sold and the person is coming next week to pick it up.... guess I will let them make me an offer and just get shed of this POS once and for all.

Thanks for all of the help over the years.

With attitude like that I'm sure that person will be getting a heck of a deal. If you want a 100% reliable car just go buy a newer Honda or something with crank up windows and manual transmission. With a luxury car you'll have issues like this, especially with a 20 year old car. Sounds like you may need a newer Japanese car if you're getting frustrated with repairs.

With attitude like that I'm sure that person will be getting a heck of a deal. If you want a 100% reliable car just go buy a newer Honda or something with crank up windows and manual transmission. With a luxury car you'll have issues like this, especially with a 20 year old car. Sounds like you may need a newer Japanese car if you're getting frustrated with repairs.

Well, I have had several old Japanese cars (some over 20 years old) and this is my 3rd Lexus and have had minimal issues with all, save for this one. Its just since day 1 this car has been the pits and after 3 years, its really got to me. I am amazed I have put up with it this long. Its funny though, because major things are fine... engine and tranny seem like they will last forever, but its the little things that are going wrong like this and its annoying. True, its an old car, it high mileage and I AM better off selling it. I would not even mind repairing this and that, but when one thing breaks after you fix another, its annoying. I dont like the newer Japanese cars and highly likely I will ever buy another Lexus, unless its a LOW mileage 1995-96 model that has had alot of the problem spots dealt with already. I dont like anything newer than 1995 to be honest. I will probably get an older 80s-early 90s American luxury car, or a low mileage early 90s Accord. These old LS400s are just too costly to service, but after owning an LS400 since 2003 (well you know, you have been here since 2003 like I have), I knew that, but not expecting this one to have the issues it has had, despite being a well cared for, 1-owner car (when I bought it) and having only 196K when I bought it and I have done nothing but baby this car... never over 3000 rpms, dodge potholes, keep it clean, oil change every 3K, etc. My last LS400 had nearly 300K and I didnt have near the issues with it than I have this one... there is only so much stress one person can take with a car before it pushes them over the edge. I mean I fix one thing and something else breaks. I dealt with power steering issues for about 16 months on this car and I finally get that repaired and now all of this starts happening. Maybe I am lucky my other car (which ironically is 22 years old and is a Mercedes) had never given me the problem this Lexus has, but the Mercedes I have is a simple car that dates back to 1981.

btw - I ran the code and its code 71 again. <_<