'06 Gs300 - Running Sat Antenna Wire From Trunk To Cabin?

Hello -

My wife just got me the Sirius/XM Mirge Satellite Radio for xmas, and I'm attempting to install the antenna wiring myself. I've run the wiring from the antenna (magnetically stuck the roof) to the trunk already. I've searched the forums and couldn't seem to find any content that describes running wire from the trunk compartment in to the cabin.

Has anyone done this, or know how to do this?

I'm looking for info on conduits that may be there already, or good tips on where to "snake" wire discreetly from the trunk to the passenger cabin.

I've also read in the forums here where people seem to have found other places (inside the car/trunk) to stick the magnetic antenna end. I'm a little confused though, so if you know anything about that subject, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

Some people put their sat radio antennas on the rear package shelf ... some even inside the high mounted stop light housing.

If you need to get a wire from the trunk into your interior, remove the rear seat back and look for an existing hole. Can't guarantee there will be existing holes but there are in my current 00 LS and in my previoius 90 LS. Sometimes the holes are covered with tape or a grommet.

Usually removing the rear seat back on a Lexus/Toyota sedan requires removing the rear seat cushion first to access the bolts holding the seat back in place. If it is like most other Lexus and Toyota sedans, lift up (more like jerk up) the lower leading edge of the cushion and then guide the seat cushion out of the car -- rear seat cushions usually just snap in place.

The rear seat backs are sometimes held in place by bolts hidden by velcroed flaps in the rear head rest and armrest areas. If you can't figure it out, someone here can probably tell you exactly how to remove it.

A good way to route a wire through the interior is under the door sills. The door sills pop right out and you may need to remove the garnish for the door post the seat belts are in -- I had to do all this when I routed a coax cable from the trunk of my LS to near the radio head unit. I recommended doing it on the drivers side -- has to be easier than fishing a wire behind the glove compartment like I did on my LS ... duh!

I mounted mine on the front dash. Used double-stick tape. Works fine and sure made running the antenna cable a whole lot easier.

I guess that's where I'm getting confused. I thought the sat antenna had to be mounted on the outside of the car. Never could figure-out why glass (front/back windshield) could affect reception, but from what you're saying, it can't(?), or it doesn't.

"Rear package tray" = the area behind the backseat headrests inside the car, where the high brake light sits?

I thought I read in other posts where some people located their sat antenna inside the rear brake light housing. Anyone have any comments about that?

I guess that's where I'm getting confused. I thought the sat antenna had to be mounted on the outside of the car. Never could figure-out why glass (front/back windshield) could affect reception, but from what you're saying, it can't(?), or it doesn't.

"Rear package tray" = the area behind the backseat headrests inside the car, where the high brake light sits?

I thought I read in other posts where some people located their sat antenna inside the rear brake light housing. Anyone have any comments about that?

Well, plenty of people have put their sat radio antenna in the interior including in the high mounted rear brake light housing -- I don't remember anyone complaining about the reception which, from my experience in rental cars, pretty much sucks anyway. I'm not a fan of sat radio but if I was going to install one, I would put the antenna inside my car. One of the aspects I like about my LS is that there are no external antennas -- the radio antenna is imprinted on the rear window and my cell phone cradle uses the factory phone antenna imprinted on the rear window.

One of the aspects I disliked most about my first Lexus LS I drove for 13+ years is that it had an external radio antenna (I bent it by backing out of the garage before the garage door was fully up) and an external phone antenna which caused quite a bit of wind noise. I've had several car antennas vandalized -- once by a five year old neighbor -- so I've never missed not having an external antenna.

The glass probably attenuates the signal some, but I did do some comparisons with the antenna inside and outside the car, and couldn't tell a difference. The digital signal is either there, or it isn't. Unlike analog radio, you won't get static or other similar reception issues with sat radio. Either you will have a listenable signal, or there will be no audio.

Yes. Some call it the rear deck too.

I did read a posting about that. I'm not sure this offers any benefit, other than perhaps asthetic in that being a nice symmetrical place to locate the sat antenna.

I had Sirius in my 2001 LS 430. The antenna was mounted right next to the third brake light and could barely even be seen. There is still the wire run from the trunk but that can be done through the seatback and hidden in the trim.

• 1 year later...

Maybe i'm just a Felix but i could not bring myself to put the magnet antenna on a car that already has the shark fin all in one factory antenna. If you dig around long enough you will find the little square lead. I found mine (07 GS350) in the trunk over the passenger side wheel well. I had to search ebay & paid maybe $30 for it, but BY CRACKIE i've got a nice clean install with really good reception. Best of luck to you and yours.