Car Wont Start ?

G Alex

I have a 01 ls430 and it has sat for about a week. I started it last week and it ran perfect. I tried to start it today and it was completely dead. I had a friend come and we tried to jump it. It was turning over real nice but no fire. I noticed that the car daytime driving lights were on when we hooked cables up and the turn signal lights were on in the back, not flashing just on, both of them. I didnt have any interior gauges lit up but the dome light was working ? I put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it( it was almost empty) and tried again, same thing, no fire but turned over very strongly. Any thoughts ? I cant get this out of my garage, and I have never had a problem with the car at all. I pumped the gas the last time, hoping to help it along as I thought maybe I was so low on gas the first time that It wasnt pulling into the fuel line but that elicits no response. I thought I might have blown a fuse or something or the cold may have affected it someway. I dont know ? Does anyone have any ideas ? THANKS !!

thanks, I called the lexus dealer and he thought it blew a fuse or something, maybe to the fuel pump ? I ask more detail and he wasnt interested in helping, wants me to tow it in, imagine that. I have read where some say you can use the key and turn the door locks on both doors and it may reset it. The service guy at the dealer didnt think that the theft det was even a thought ?

Another lexus dealer (service guy) called me back and said to stick the key in the passenger door (there isnt a passenger door key hole !!) and unlock twice and that should reset it. He said it was unlikely that it blew a fuse but possible. He also said to check the fuel pump but I highly doubt that, it would be almost to coincidental wouldnt it ?

update, brand new battery 100 dollars later. Car still wont start and I noticed that the key fob wont work(battery is good and light hits up when depressed) and the instrument gauges arent working and the headlights wont activate and finally no radio. I am thinking I had to pop a fuse but anyone have any idea which one(s) ? I need some advice here folks !!!! Please post thoughts.

ok, now I went out and checked, the hazards work fine, dome light and puddle lights work fine. The headlights will come on with the switch turned to on, not auto.

The radio doesnt work,the horn and the instrument panel do not work, the power seats dont work and the obviously the car will not start and the key fob doesnt work at all ? wont unlock,lock or pop trunk either ?

I cant be clearer, I had ZERO problems prior to jumping the car. I have to think it is a relay but I dont know which one or where to look. I did locate 2 fuse/relay boxes under the hood and did find two fuse boxes in the car. I checked the drivers side seat fuse and it was good to go. I checked the horn fuse and it was good to go. Anyone out there have any ideas before I drop 400 or more to have it towed and looked at ? I bet its a 10 dollar relay !

ok, now I went out and checked, the hazards work fine, dome light and puddle lights work fine. The headlights will come on with the switch turned to on, not auto.

The radio doesnt work,the horn and the instrument panel do not work, the power seats dont work and the obviously the car will not start.

I cant be clearer, I had ZERO problems prior to jumping the car. I have to think it is a relay but I dont know which one or where to look. I did locate 2 fuse/relay boxes under the hood and did find two fuse boxes in the car. I checked the drivers side seat fuse and it was good to go. I checked the horn fuse and it was good to go. Anyone out there have any ideas before I drop 400 or more to have it towed and looked at ? I bet its a 10 dollar relay !

Well if your garage is quiet you could listen in rear seat for sound of fuel pump when you turn on ignition but don't start it. If no noise then might be fuse or relay to fuel pump. Do you smell fuel at exhaust pipe while cranking? Unburned ful should be an odor at the pipe if you've been cranking a bunch.

Could be many other things too.

Thanks CuriousB,

I didnt do that although I had thought about taking the rear seat out earlier but after I installed the new battery, I discovered the other problems which led me to believe it was a relay or a fuse. I am confused with this to say the least. Where would the fuel pump fuse be ? I looked at all 4 fuse boxes I could find and didnt see any marked fuel pump ?

After checking the fuses, I found the etcs fuse(10amp) was blown. I replaced it and the car started. I also found the inj (injector?) fuse, again 15 amp fuse was blown and replaced it as well. The car sits and runs but after depressing the brake, the shifter will not engage, or allow me to move it ? I checked the rest of the fuses up top and no others were blown. I manually checked the fuse box on inside drivers side and none were blown. I looked at the passenger side the best I could and didnt see any blown (its dark under there and cold in the garage.)

I am now thinking it is a relay because the instrument panel, radio, climate control still dont work even though the car is running. Add to that the car wont disengage out of park is what also leads me to this conclusion.

If anyone is jumping their car this winter and it wont start, follow my lead, I am trying to get it going and have it running fine now, it just wont go into gear or provide any heat/air lights etc... and it wont go into gear. Stay tuned....

If anyone knows what relay or what I might check as to why it wont go out of park, I am all ears ? :)

Blowing these types of fuses is extremely unusual -- never heard of it happening.

Can you use the shift lock override button to get the transmission out of Park so you can drive it to a professional? See the attached instructions. But if this kind of weird stuff is happening, it might be better to call a flatbed to transport the car rather than risk getting stranded while driving it.

Edit: The reason you can't get the transmission out of park is likely because the circuit the brake light switch is on is dead. The brake light switch itself is at the top of the brake pedal lever.

post-2157-1263407285_thumb.png

I have a 01 ls430 and it has sat for about a week. I started it last week and it ran perfect. I tried to start it today and it was completely dead. I had a friend come and we tried to jump it. It was turning over real nice but no fire. I noticed that the car daytime driving lights were on when we hooked cables up and the turn signal lights were on in the back, not flashing just on, both of them. I didnt have any interior gauges lit up but the dome light was working ? I put 5 gallons of fresh gas in it( it was almost empty) and tried again, same thing, no fire but turned over very strongly. Any thoughts ? I cant get this out of my garage, and I have never had a problem with the car at all. I pumped the gas the last time, hoping to help it along as I thought maybe I was so low on gas the first time that It wasnt pulling into the fuel line but that elicits no response. I thought I might have blown a fuse or something or the cold may have affected it someway. I dont know ? Does anyone have any ideas ? THANKS !!

Allow me ask a simple yet salient question. You do not recall the jumpers being hooked up backwards (even for the slightest moment) do you?

Blown fuses and mysterious operation make me suspicious. I have heard of weird behavior under those conditions.

Thanks for the thoughts and the ideas. I FIXED it !! I thought I would pass along the issues and solution. I did jump the car correctly and did the correct procedure to jump start it.

I was surprised to find that it wouldnt start as many would be with these fine cars. I actually called the west coast last night which is 3 hours behind us and ask the the service advisor a few questions. He mentioned the same possible solutions, anti theft was activated, the battery jump went bad and blew the computer etc.. He then mentioned all the fuse boxes, two are inside the cabin, two in engine compartment and one in the trunk drivers side under the tool kit.

I spent the better part of the day checking fuses and found that the fuses on the left side of the car in the cabin and the trunk were not getting power. I then deducted that the engine compartment had to have the answer. I had previously checked the fuses up top but after discussing it with the service advisor, he said to take the fuse box apart (one by the battery) and unscrew the larger fuses. He said that upon initial inspection, those may not look blown but in actuality may be. I was skeptical but hey, what did I have to lose right ? I tried the first two and it took about 20 or so min. Nothing. I tried the third and I swear it looked perfect but when I pulled it out you could see it up real close and it was popped. It was the 140amp fuse (light brown) and I got another fuse, and bam, everything came back 100 percent. That ONE fuse controlled the car from going out of park, the heat/air, lights, pwr seats, heated seats, key fob, taillights, windows, locks, instrument panel and several other items. I couldnt have been happier. I called the service advisor back to thank him for his time and he was appreciative.

I guess what I learned is this, NEVER jump your Lexus if you can avoid it and if it doesnt start, go directly to the fuse box located parallel to the battery and open it up and go straight for the big fuses. The answer is simple once I found it. It saved me several hundred dollars by doing it myself and it were to happen to anyone that read this whole nonsense, you should be able to fix your car in about 20 minutes tops !

I hope no one ever has this happen but please learn from my mistakes and hopefully you can get it fixed quick and cheaply by yourself !

Glad you got it fixed.

Landar's got the answer on why it happened. Something went wrong while jump starting the car. One has to be precise in the sequence followed when jump starting a car: http://www.libertymutualteendriving.com/te...|S|e|4573181238

Back in the 1980s I put stickers in the engine compartment of all our cars explaining the jump starting sequence -- we had a number of severe winters and it seemed like somebody in the large company parking lot was always asking me for a jump.

After I purchased my first Lexus LS in 1990, I refused to give anyone a jump. Too many people I knew were trashing alternators and other parts. I haven't jump started a car or had a car jump started since the 1980s. I advise people to call Triple-A or some other service.

I have a battery charger to charge batteries when they get low but only after disconnecting the car's battery cables.

I think you are lucky. It could have been worse.

I am extremely lucky I would guess, the weird thing is I did jump the car correctly. I did it the same way as three days before the incident and it was fine. I just wanted to pass it on if it happens to anyone else.

I am extremely lucky I would guess, the weird thing is I did jump the car correctly. I did it the same way as three days before the incident and it was fine. I just wanted to pass it on if it happens to anyone else.

Go get yourself an inexpensive DVM (digital volt meter). You can set it for resistance with audible alarm and test fuses more easily. The buzzer should sound if they are good, silent if they are blow. Might be easier than trusting your eyes as some of the small fuses have fairly faint fuse wire.