Cleaning The Throttle Body

LEXLVR07

I have noticed some posting regarding cleaning of the throttle body and I would do anything to better the performance of this car. I am happy with the performance of the car but I love doing little things that can cause a big change in performance but I am totally not mechanically inclined I was wondering if anyone can help me with cleaning and first locating where the throttle body is and how to clean it and what to use... if anyone has done it or has pictures or advice.. Please let me know

I'd be careful. Just doing things can create other problems. If you don't have an idle problem and your gas mileage isn't poor then I wouldn't tinker. Cleaning a throttle body isn't going to unleash massive horsepower especially if you don't have the other symptoms.

As they say "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

I can attest to that... my throttle body needed cleaned though... I had a hesitation and a jerking motion at certain speeds, which went away when I had the throttle body cleaned... however it caused the check engine light to come on. I was told it could have washed some junk down in the EGR... had it cleaned at the shop... now I have a tapping sound at idle that I did NOT have before. :rolleyes:

My 90 ls400 wouldnt pass emissions and a friend of mine removed the egr valve and it was caked with carbon as was the throttle body; he cleaned both of them out and now im getting 3-4 more mpg .Car passed emissions and was running fine before he did it and runs the same after he did it except for the more mpg im getting. If you have over 100000 miles on it id suggest pulling egr valve and scraping out carbon dont let any get in the engine

My 90 ls400 wouldnt pass emissions and a friend of mine removed the egr valve and it was caked with carbon as was the throttle body; he cleaned both of them out and now im getting 3-4 more mpg .Car passed emissions and was running fine before he did it and runs the same after he did it except for the more mpg im getting. If you have over 100000 miles on it id suggest pulling egr valve and scraping out carbon dont let any get in the engine

Thanks but where is the egr valve and how do you remove and clean it?

Thanks but where is the egr valve and how do you remove and clean it?

The photo on this link will show you where its at... I had mine done at the shop

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/emission/egrfilter.html

Remember, this is for only cleaning the filter in the modulator... its easy as pie, but there is more involvement in cleaning the EGR system... so much so that the shop charged me $56.00 - then they screwed something up (I was told probably the EGR pipe/gasket) because it has a tapping sound at idle.