Rapping Sound?!

90LS400Lexus

OMG, if its not one thing, its another with this car. I took it to get the EGR system cleaned and I swear after I picked up the car from work and stopped in the parking lot I am hearing a tapping/knocking sound! It can only be heard at idle and if everything is turned off such as radio, heat, etc.

I have driven it four times since and I still hear it. I dont know what they done, because it was NOT doing it before this. When I raise the hood and stand outside of the car, I cant hear it from the engine... only when setting inside the car.

Someone is buying the car this week and I dont know what to do. This makes me cross. :angry:

Use a mechanics stethoscope to find the noise. Mine looks like this $4.00 one: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...amp;cm_ite=auto

Thanks so much! I need one of those! I think we have a northern tool around here somewhere. I will find out and get one tomorrow. Hopefully its only where its so cold and its a lifter or something. Thanks!

Thanks so much! I need one of those! I think we have a northern tool around here somewhere. I will find out and get one tomorrow. Hopefully its only where its so cold and its a lifter or something. Thanks!

I think you can buy a stethoscope at most auto parts stores ... maybe even at a Wallymart -- I don't remember having to search for one ... but I bought mine 20 to 30 years ago so I guess I could have forgotten since I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. ;)

OMG, if its not one thing, its another with this car. I took it to get the EGR system cleaned and I swear after I picked up the car from work and stopped in the parking lot I am hearing a tapping/knocking sound! It can only be heard at idle and if everything is turned off such as radio, heat, etc.

I have driven it four times since and I still hear it. I dont know what they done, because it was NOT doing it before this. When I raise the hood and stand outside of the car, I cant hear it from the engine... only when setting inside the car.

Someone is buying the car this week and I dont know what to do. This makes me cross. :angry:

What was wrong with the EGR system? Why would you do service if you sold it already?

What was wrong with the EGR system? Why would you do service if you sold it already?

After I had the throttle body cleaned the check engine light started coming on..... it was a code 71, "EGR system malfunction". I wanted to be honest with the man buying it, so I told them the engine light was on and I would have it fixed first.

Shop said it "EGR" needed to be cleaned... they cleaned it alright.... now the car has a knock at idle! :angry:

Someone said they may have sprayed something in there and scored? a valve??

No they didn't "score" a valve. Jaysus!

It's possible that the EGR valve is not seated correctly, or the gasket is mis-placed or re-used, and what you are hearing is an exhaust gas leak, which can sound like a knock, right at the firewall in the middle of the engine. So take it back and let the "mechanics" listen to it. You have a bill, they gaurantee their work.

No they didn't "score" a valve. Jaysus!

It's possible that the EGR valve is not seated correctly, or the gasket is mis-placed or re-used, and what you are hearing is an exhaust gas leak, which can sound like a knock, right at the firewall in the middle of the engine. So take it back and let the "mechanics" listen to it. You have a bill, they gaurantee their work.

Well thats good to know its nothing major, but knowing this place they will probably not think its anything they did (you dont know this shop, but I had no other choice but to take it there). I will give it a try though. What will leaving it like this do IF something happens they wont fix it? Will it cause any damage to anything?

Well then frankly, I am not worried about it then. It can only be heard at idle anyway when the heater blower and radio is off... so its not a big concern. The car is sold anyway and I am not putting anymore $ into it. I am afraid to take it back to that shop, because everytime they "fix" one thing, they break another... its getting ridiculous.