2003 Ls430 Fuel Fuel Gauge Problm

Sarat

The fuel gauge on my 2003 LS430 does not work right. It would only go to 3/4 after fill-up. It seems to be behaving like 3/4 is the full level. When the tank is approx. 1/4 full, the gauge drops to empty and the warning light comes on.

I understand that there is a bad cap issue for 90-94 ls400s. But I haven't seen a similar problem mentioned for 2003 models.

Any input on what the problem could be is much appreciated. Dealer says it may cost 600+ to fix! (without actually looking.. ). Could it be the sender unit? How do I check? I've been using "Miles since last fill" to figure out when to get gas :-(.

Thanks

SV.

The fuel gauge on my 2003 LS430 does not work right. It would only go to 3/4 after fill-up. It seems to be behaving like 3/4 is the full level. When the tank is approx. 1/4 full, the gauge drops to empty and the warning light comes on.

I understand that there is a bad cap issue for 90-94 ls400s. But I haven't seen a similar problem mentioned for 2003 models.

Any input on what the problem could be is much appreciated. Dealer says it may cost 600+ to fix! (without actually looking.. ). Could it be the sender unit? How do I check? I've been using "Miles since last fill" to figure out when to get gas :-(.

Thanks

SV.

The sender is part of the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank. Maybe the float has failed, the linkage is binding or the potentiometer worn out. Either way its a complete module to replace. You probably need to pull it out to do any meaningful testing.

• 11 months later...

Thanks

SV.

My 2002 LS 430 also has a fuel gauge problem. When it first occurred, it was always during cold weather and the fuel indicator would show 'empty' along with the fuel light illuminated. Once the car warmed up, you could turn it off, then back on and the fuel guage would work properly. Now it shows empty, then occasionally if you turn it off and back on it will show the fuel half full. So far, I haven't determined if it's actually half full or completely full.

Needless to say, I would love to find a solution without having to spend $600.

Thanks!

Well there is a way to "fix it" without spending a nickle.

Always refill your gas to a full tank.

Reset one of the trip gauge to 0000 each fill up.

Refill tank before your get to 400 or so miles or whatever you feel your average tank mileage is.

Not elegant but may avoid you running out of fuel on the roadside.

Its is the most inexpensive solution. :lol:

• 8 years later...