Is This A Characteristic Of Lexus Transmissions?

bobstoc

I'm on my fourth lexus now ('04 LS430 Ultra; 35k miles), and all of them seemed to have this charactersitic:

When I'm slowing down to about 10-15mph and begin making a left or right turn onto another street, once I give it gas, the transmission seems to downshift into first, causing the car to lurch.

It almost seems like a slip/hesitation but, like I said, this is something I've noticed in the other Lexuses I've owned ... but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed it? Thanks.

I'm on my fourth lexus now ('04 LS430 Ultra; 35k miles), and all of them seemed to have this charactersitic:

When I'm slowing down to about 10-15mph and begin making a left or right turn onto another street, once I give it gas, the transmission seems to downshift into first, causing the car to lurch.

It almost seems like a slip/hesitation but, like I said, this is something I've noticed in the other Lexuses I've owned ... but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed it? Thanks.

I currently have a 98 and a 99 LS400. The 99 has exhibited the "hesitation" thing since I've owned it. When I approach an intersection and merely slow down, e.g., to 5-10 mph, but don't quite stop, once I start accelerating again the car hesitates momentarily and it will then "bang" into gear. The problem is annoying, but I've learned to live with it over the past 4.5 years. I now usually avoid it because I developed a very delicate touch with my right foot on the gas pedal. When I first got the car I asked the Lexus dealer about this issue and they said it was normal and not to worry about it. A tranny fluid flush and change did not help.

Interestingly, though, my 98, which as far as I know has an identical engine and transmission, does not hesitate like the 99, or at least does so to a far lesser extent. That makes me think that there might be some adjustment that can be done to minimize the hesitation in the 99.

If anyone has encountered this hesitation issue and has improved it, please let us know.

Thanks.

When I approach an intersection and merely slow down, e.g., to 5-10 mph, but don't quite stop, once I start accelerating again the car hesitates momentarily and it will then "bang" into gear. The problem is annoying, but I've learned to live with it over the past 4.5 years.
Mine does the same thing, especially when I'm a few cars back at a light where I want to turn right, so you get up to 10-15mph, brake a little, get back on the gas, the rpms go up, and bam. I consider it a triumph when I can make a turn and successfully reapply the throttle! LOL I've only been able to do it a handful of times in my 18 months of ownership. :rolleyes: Snow mode helps a little...

• 9 months later...

I currently have a 98 and a 99 LS400. The 99 has exhibited the "hesitation" thing since I've owned it. When I approach an intersection and merely slow down, e.g., to 5-10 mph, but don't quite stop, once I start accelerating again the car hesitates momentarily and it will then "bang" into gear. The problem is annoying, but I've learned to live with it over the past 4.5 years. I now usually avoid it because I developed a very delicate touch with my right foot on the gas pedal. When I first got the car I asked the Lexus dealer about this issue and they said it was normal and not to worry about it. A tranny fluid flush and change did not help.

Interestingly, though, my 98, which as far as I know has an identical engine and transmission, does not hesitate like the 99, or at least does so to a far lesser extent. That makes me think that there might be some adjustment that can be done to minimize the hesitation in the 99.

If anyone has encountered this hesitation issue and has improved it, please let us know.

Thanks.

Oddly enough, I had the transmission flushed and filled several months ago and the "hesitation" issue in my 99 has been greatly reduced ever since. No more "banging" transmission when I do a "slow and go" through an intersection or slow turn.