Ac Work For A Few Minutes

Hi all

I would like to know if is possible why my ES 300 1994, AC stop working after a few minutes after the car is running.....? :huh:

it start fine the AC system then start getting warm and some times the air stink....:whistles:

any suggestion

sincerely

JC

Hi all

I would like to know if is possible why my ES 300 1994, AC stop working after a few minutes after the car is running.....? :huh:

it start fine the AC system then start getting warm and some times the air stink....:whistles:

any suggestion

sincerely

JC

There is a cabin air filter on many models.

does the big fan in front in the engine compartment come on when you turn on the a/c?

you can buy A/C refrigerant with dye in it. add it to you system and look for leaks. as to smell - check if your cabin air filter is clogged. also check outside air vents for clogs.

A common problem with these cars is the expansion valve, it will cause intermittent ac operation. Unfortunately although the valve is fairly in-expensive, replacing it is beyond the scope of the average person. To legally replace the valve the freon must be recovered. And even if the freon was to "leak" out, you need to evacuate the system before you recharge. If you do not, you will be asking for even bigger problems with the ac.

As far as musty odder from the ac, it is very common for mold to grow on the evaporator. There are disinfectants and other cleaners that can be sprayed into the system to reduce the problem, but the only way to correct the problem is to remove the evaporator and properly clean it. You will also need to vac out the housing. Removing the evaporator is also beyond the scope of most home mechanics.

The only encouraging information I can give you is that the expansion valve is hooked to the evaporator. So both problems could be corrected at the same time, saving considerable amount of money on the labor.

does the big fan in front in the engine compartment come on when you turn on the a/c?

you can buy A/C refrigerant with dye in it. add it to you system and look for leaks. as to smell - check if your cabin air filter is clogged. also check outside air vents for clogs.

Thanks I will try that....