Rx400h Oil Problem

Let me ask you this: Did anyone check this before the vehicle was purchased? Apparently, it was overlooked and the previous owner was negligent when it came to following the correct oil change intervals. Here's a good article on engine oil sludge:

http://www.yotarepair.com/sludge%20article.html

It is far safer to get rid of existing sludge, slowly vs all at once (via engine flush), so my advice would be to use a good anti-sludge oil (Castrol and Pennzoil are two companies that sell anti-sludge oils) and have the oil changed maybe every 2000 miles for 2 or 3 changes. Then you may be able to go back to the normal change interval of 5 months or 5000 miles.

Fe experts recommend having oil flushes performed, so I would rule that out as an acceptable solution.

Don't panic. It IS NOT sludge. It's a baffle plate Toyota puts there. I have no idea why they don't make it shiny and smooth, instead of making it look crusty and black like sludge.

See here for a TSB about not bending it when filling with oil to confirm that it's just the baffle plate. Mine looks the same and so will any other users who have a peek down the oil fill hole.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&id=12975

Now, what you're seeing in your oil filler hole is indeed the baffle plate. Whether the vehicle itself has sludge or not you can't tell unless you pull the valve cover (easy enough to do, but involves removing a few parts (airbox, some wires, a few clamps). If you want peace of mind you could run an HDEO (heavy duty engine oil - usually diesel oil, but acceptable for passenger car engines) or an oil that claims cleaning power like Pennzoil Platinum.

Alternatively you could run something like Auto-Rx (do a search at www.bobistheoilguy.com and check www.auto-rx.com). You'll find lots of info at bobistheoilguy, but be warned the auto-rx site kind of reads like a late night infomercial (kind of like an Amsoil website..hahaha). You'll find posts saying that Auto-rx did wonders, and others stating that it did nothing, but I don't believe anyone has had a negative experience. I've run it through several of my vehicles, including my 400h with no problems.

What year and how many kilometres on the vehicle?

You should register at www.lexus.ca (you have to call Lexus Canada first to give your info and VIN). There is an owner's section there where you can check for recalls and also see the service history of the vehicle (as long as it was serviced at a Lexus dealer). If you find info there and it shows regular oil changes I would not worry about sludge. It was the previous 3 litre engine that had serious sludge problems. The 3.3 was redesigned. You should confirm as well whether the steering rack has been replaced under an internal Lexus 'service campaign' (not sure what years it applies to - I had it done when I bought my 2006 (used) this past summer. There was also an official 'recall' (i.e. government mandated) regarding some clips holding the carpet up near the accelerator pedal.

What year and how many kilometres on the vehicle?

You should register at www.lexus.ca (you have to call Lexus Canada first to give your info and VIN). There is an owner's section there where you can check for recalls and also see the service history of the vehicle (as long as it was serviced at a Lexus dealer). If you find info there and it shows regular oil changes I would not worry about sludge. It was the previous 3 litre engine that had serious sludge problems. The 3.3 was redesigned. You should confirm as well whether the steering rack has been replaced under an internal Lexus 'service campaign' (not sure what years it applies to - I had it done when I bought my 2006 (used) this past summer. There was also an official 'recall' (i.e. government mandated) regarding some clips holding the carpet up near the accelerator pedal.

2006 with 109000 Kms

Ok thanks Ill get it registered

If the service campaign for the steering has not been done, you'll find it listed in the 'club lexus' owner's section of the website after you register. However, seeing as you have to call Lexus Canada to register, you may as well as them then if there are any outstanding recalls.

Seeing as you have a 2006, you may also want to check here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&id=12947

if you find your mileage is lower than expected. This procedure (which seems to only apply to '06 models, I think) needs to be done if the battery is disconnected or run below a certain voltage. You can do this procedure yourself without the special Lexus computer if you want - check here

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=58930

My mileage went from about 10 l/100km to just over 8 l/100km when I did this procedure myself back in the summer. Just remember that if your mileage has recently gone downhill, it's probably from the winter gas and colder weather. Mine is currently up around 10 again, but only since it got cold.

False alarm! Lemon is absolutely correct. I just examined this area in our RX and there IS a textured surface, facing the oil fill hole opening.

I have attached a pic.

post-6874-1263170076_thumb.jpg

False alarm! Lemon is absolutely correct. I just examined this area in our RX and there IS a textures surface, facing the oil fill hole opening.

I have attached a pic.

Lemon is always correct. Muhahahahaha....

Actually, I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I have no idea what this baffle plate is supposed to do but the TSB about bending it says "The baffle is designed to deflect oil" (maybe if you forget to put the cap back on it prevents oil from spraying all over?), but a lot (if not all) Toyotas have it. The TSB also has a diagram showing a bent baffle, and it looks like the baffle covers the entire underside of the valve cover. Every other vehicle I've owned did not, or if they did have a baffle, it didn't block the fill hole. I personally don't like it, as I'd like to see into the valve train area to check cleanliness (though seeing one tiny spot does not reflect on the entire valve train).

Nice clean engine bay RX400h. Amazing how much nicer things are when there isn't salt and slush spraying in there five months of the year. I keep mine pretty clean - here are some engine bay pics in a PCV valve DIY I did http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=58872 - but fighting the rust in the snow belt areas is an ongoing battle.

The baffle plates may be an attempt to allow simple impaction to separate oil from blowby air. Still, it is certainly not common among other vehicle manufacturers.

Our oil fill hole is so deep in the engine bay that I honestly never noticed that textured surface. Your engine doesn't look too bad, Lemon. My daughter's Mazda Protege lived a couple years of its life in New York and I almost didn't buy it because of the rust that seems to be everywhere. However, after spending over an hour cleaning it up, it is okay for now. I guess we are spoiled here in San Diego. Even my 89 Mazda MX6 GT's engine bay looks great compared to those of cars from inclement weather states.