Intermittent Power Steering

'95 LS400

I have a '95 LS400 w/231k that has started to have several different problems and have fixed most with the info on this site!!! Thanks Everyone!!!!!!

I had my ps go out the other day and on my way to get it checked out it started working when I was under heavy exeleration. I have found that this will enable/disable the ps.

Any ideas???

I have a '95 LS400 w/231k that has started to have several different problems and have fixed most with the info on this site!!! Thanks Everyone!!!!!!

I had my ps go out the other day and on my way to get it checked out it started working when I was under heavy exeleration. I have found that this will enable/disable the ps.

Any ideas???

since we cant know anything, here is a guess.... maybe your pump is getting weak, from age, sludge, restriction in lines, screen partially blocked, something like that, since higher rpms will bring it back.

just a school of thought... I would do a LOT of cleaning.. cheers.

bp

Thanks. I am the 2nd owner and the filters were probably not cleaned. I have found a lot of threads on the power steering solenoid filters and will try to clean tomorrow if I can find all of the details on the procedure. Any recomendations?

As Billy mentioned and I did in another thread, it may be your rack solenoid. Speaking of Billy, he is the one that was able to get me a used solenoid for my 1991 LS off of a crashed 1994 LS.

I had power steering nightmares on my LS for about 17 months. At first, there was no change when I replaced the solenoid last month, but I know it was good and mine was bad (mine didnt click when powered up). I then cleaned the power steering pump screen and still didnt help, but by a week later, my steering was 100% again and its not given me anymore problems. I am pretty sure it was my power steering rack solenoid. It had got to where I would get a shudder on low speed turns... then it would get to where my steering was stiff. Sometimes it would work for like 10 seconds after I first started it, then it would go away. Its all good now. I would replace the rack solenoid first before I replaced the entire rack.

Thanks. I am the 2nd owner and the filters were probably not cleaned. I have found a lot of threads on the power steering solenoid filters and will try to clean tomorrow if I can find all of the details on the procedure. Any recomendations?

I am not sure if the 1995-97 procedures are the same as the 1990-94 or not. I have not heard about as many power steering woes on the 1995 models. If its like the 1990-94, drain the reservior, remove three bolts on the reservior and hose and it pops off.