Clutch Grinds In First And Second When Cold On 97 Sc300

peeksnit

I just bought a 97 SC300 5 speed with 90K that is in great shape and loving it. When cold, and it has been below normal for Philly in January, it is hard to get into first and second. I would say hard but certainly not impossible. It grinds a little but not bad. After car warms up, seems ok but have to push clutch practically to the floor but clutch still seems tight. My mechanic thinks it will need new clutch in not too distant future. Talked to auto parts counter person who has Toyota 5 speed and said they can get air in the lines sometimes and might make sense to bleed the line. Thoughts? Is this normal for SC300 5 speed?

Thx...

If there is no record of it being done already.... I would probably at least have the tyranny fluid changed and the clutch line bled. Pretty much all manual trannys are stiff when really cold, but actually grinding may be something of a little more concern.

Had my clutch done at 110k, but I'm pretty easy on it. The only reason it was replaced is that the pressure plate was making an annoying chirping noise when the clutch pedal was up, (pretty much all the time while driving or in neutral).

When you do the clutch, make sure they replace the Throwout Bearing and the Rear Seal.. Some mechanics skip those, and you'll be sorry later.

Good luck..

Love my '95 5 speed for 15 years now! Out of some 18 cars I've owned, this is by far the best car I've ever owned in my 40 years of driving. :D

If there is no record of it being done already.... I would probably at least have the tyranny fluid changed and the clutch line bled. Pretty much all manual trannys are stiff when really cold, but actually grinding may be something of a little more concern.

Had my clutch done at 110k, but I'm pretty easy on it. The only reason it was replaced is that the pressure plate was making an annoying chirping noise when the clutch pedal was up, (pretty much all the time while driving or in neutral).

When you do the clutch, make sure they replace the Throwout Bearing and the Rear Seal.. Some mechanics skip those, and you'll be sorry later.

Good luck..

Love my '95 5 speed for 15 years now! Out of some 18 cars I've owned, this is by far the best car I've ever owned in my 40 years of driving. :D

Thanks for your input. My mechanic has been maintaining car for years and clutch has never been replaced. Actually saw car in his garage about 6 months ago and said if owner ever sells let me know...so here I am. It HAS been a pleasure to drive so far and very pleased. Did you end up putting in factory clutch? I have seen alot of opinions on which to put in but seem focused around performance which I don't care so much about.

I have had several sports cars and currently have a 914 porsche that I have had for many years. The only thing I think could be improved is cornering and guessing that is part of trade off for what is a very smooth ride?

Finally, how do you get picture of car in your profile? Pictures I took were too big. Guessing I need to take another at a lower definition? Mine is dark green with spoiler and looks alot like yours.

Tom