How Much Should Be Fair For 2007 Rx 350 25k Service

My 07 RX350 just hit 25000 miles, and plan to take it back to dealer for oil change and service. They told me it will be $200 something for the service including oil/filter change, tire rotation, check brake...etc.

Is this too expensive? If 25000mile cost $200 something, I cannot image how much it will cost when I do 30000 mile maintenance!? :(

My 07 RX350 just hit 25000 miles, and plan to take it back to dealer for oil change and service. They told me it will be $200 something for the service including oil/filter change, tire rotation, check brake...etc.

Is this too expensive? If 25000mile cost $200 something, I cannot image how much it will cost when I do 30000 mile maintenance!? :(

You have just explained why I have rarely used Lexus dealers during my 265,000 miles of driving Lexus vehicles.

If your RX350 is used in normal service, there are only four simple tasks to perform at the 25,000 mile service -- see the attached list. Assuming your Lexus dealer buys its oil in bulk (most do), the dealer's total cost for an oil and filter for your oil change will be less than $10.

A bit of the $200 will be for labor and a few bucks will be for the "free" coffee and pastry you will have while sitting in your comfy chair in the waiting room and for the privilege of watching a nice flat panel TV and maybe using a WiFi connection on your laptop PC.

Oh yes ... reserve a few bucks for the "free" car wash and vacuum job ... or should that be called a "hose job".

post-2157-1262920415_thumb.png

I just made an appointment for the 25000 miles service and the lexus dealers price is $137.00

I just made an appointment for the 25000 miles service and the lexus dealers price is $137.00

Will the price different from dealer to dealer in each different state? I am in San Jose, California.

Will the price different from dealer to dealer in each different state? I am in San Jose, California.

Lexus dealers set their own prices for both parts and labor. There is no standardization.

Some Lexus dealers sell parts at a discount and some at far over retail price. For example, the retail price of an oil filter for the LS400 I bought in 1990 was, at the time, $6.02 but the dealer sold the filter for $13.00. When I complained to Lexus Corporate about price gouging, I got the standard response ... "Your Lexus dealer is an independent business and sets his own prices for cars, parts and labor, blah, blah, blah." "Magically" the local Lexus dealer then agreed to sell me all the parts I needed at the retail price while my car was under warranty -- but I usually bought the parts I needed elsewhere at a significant discount.

Some parts like filters can be bought for less at Toyota dealers -- I pay only $4.00 for an OEM oil filter and oil plug gasket. Unless I am having my car repaired at the indie repair shop I use, I buy the parts I need at a discount on-line or by phone from a variety of sources. It has sometimes been cheaper to buy parts from Lexus dealers in other contries and have them shipped to Kansas -- depends on the dealer and the currency exchange rate.

I can do those three things in my own garage; by myself it will take me about an hour - I have air tools but still must jack-stand the car by hand eating up about 10 minutes. I usually include visual and tactile inspection of CV boots. If I feel particularly spunky that day I'll put a torque wrench on a driveshaft bolt. If the oil and filter cost Lexus $10 you are paying $190 for an hour of labor. They probably include an air filter at 30,000 and perhaps even a brake system flush. Somewhere along the way they will stain a seat and scratch the paint, just for good measure.

I did not include putting my coveralls in the laundry. :D

I never let these people wash my car. They are unskilled in this field (I'm dubious about the rest of their "maintenence" too) and usually make the ride look worse. I'd ask them: What is the price without a wash, vacuum, coffee, donuts, and hot receptionist?

I can do those three things in my own garage; by myself it will take me about an hour - I have air tools but still must jack-stand the car by hand eating up about 10 minutes. I usually include visual and tactile inspection of CV boots. If I feel particularly spunky that day I'll put a torque wrench on a driveshaft bolt. If the oil and filter cost Lexus $10 you are paying $190 for an hour of labor. They probably include an air filter at 30,000 and perhaps even a brake system flush. Somewhere along the way they will stain a seat and scratch the paint, just for good measure.

I never let these people wash my car. They are unskilled in this field (I'm dubious about the rest of their "maintenence" too) and usually make the ride look worse. I'd ask them: What is the price without a wash, vacuum, coffee, donuts, and hot receptionist?

Are we twins separated at birth?

I have had such an incredible amount of damage done on cars at dealerships over the years -- the "cleanup" people are the absolute worst. The best way to avoid damage to a car is to do the minor 5,000 maintenance services yourself and don't allow the cleanup crew to attack your car.

I also do all the 5,000 mile services myself. I could probably do one in less than 30 minutes if I had a lift and air tools like the dealer has instead of having to use my floor jack, jack stands, breaker bar and torque wrench. Another benefit of doing the work myself is that I can check brake pad thickness when I rotate the tires. As I've said before, premature brake pad replacement is a very common dealer hoax. Check the brake pads yourself and you will likely find that their lifespan will magically double or even triple.

Alright - you made me laugh! :D

To answer your question though, No. My wife's family is from Kansas though. Very good chance we're related through marriage, depending on how long your gene pool has been in Kansas.

• 2 months later...

Alright - you made me laugh! :D

To answer your question though, No. My wife's family is from Kansas though. Very good chance we're related through marriage, depending on how long your gene pool has been in Kansas.

The Lexus dealer just gave me a quote for my 30K maintenance...$560. Yikes!

I'll be calling my Toyota Indie mechanic ASAP. He kept my 4Runner going for 206K miles!

So much for the dealership...

Update...My Independent mechanic said he will charge $275. Deal.

I'll be calling my Toyota Indie mechanic ASAP. He kept my 4Runner going for 206K miles!

Haven't looked at the list of items on the 30k maintenance...is it that extensive???

• 1 month later...

Haven't looked at the list of items on the 30k maintenance...is it that extensive???

The 30K mile is one of the bigger ones, at which they do a few more things like replace the cabin air filter, etc., but $560 is still WAY too high even for the 30K. My 30K service at Toyota was uner $200 for the exact same work and parts.

When I purchased my 2007 RX350 in January (33,000 miles), I seem to remember the sales peron telling me that cost of the 30,000 service was $300. Fortunately, the dealership had just completed the service before listing it, so it cost me $0.