Car Shuts Off When I Put It In Reverse?

LEXLVR07

hello guys I have a 1996 lexus ls 400 and I have a question for you guys hopefully someone can help me.. Today I took my ls to a shop to get rotors installed so he put the car on the lift but he told me to leave the ignition on so I found that weird but I was like whatever he knows what he is doin... then he told me to shut the ignition off to not kill the battery so then I shut it off (I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS OF ANY SIGNIFICANCE BUT I AM JUST MENTIONING EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEND) SO THEN HE FINISHED WITH THE ROTORS AND THEN I TOLD HIM to fix a bulb that was out and he changed the bulb the bulb that he used I dont know he just opened his desk and put in any bulb and then the light went out in the dash letting me know that the problem was fixed so then I thought everything was ok and payed him and left the shop. I was driving and everything seemed ok except the rpms were kind of low and it was way below the 1 but still drving fine then I parked the car and when I hit reverse the car shut off I tried to start it and it started right away and I moved the car and then I drove and it was fine but then I had to park and I put it in reverse and again the car shut off.. dash lights on and all but the car shuts off in reverse.. So my question is if he put the wrong bulb in the rear light can that cause this problem or is something else wrong because I have had this car for 3 years and never had a problem like this I do feel that it was definately something that occured at the shop and was his fault. Please let me know because this is really something stressing me out and dont have the money for right now. Thank you in advance.

hello guys I have a 1996 lexus ls 400 and I have a question for you guys hopefully someone can help me.. Today I took my ls to a shop to get rotors installed so he put the car on the lift but he told me to leave the ignition on so I found that weird but I was like whatever he knows what he is doin... then he told me to shut the ignition off to not kill the battery so then I shut it off (I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS OF ANY SIGNIFICANCE BUT I AM JUST MENTIONING EXACTLY WHAT HAPPEND) SO THEN HE FINISHED WITH THE ROTORS AND THEN I TOLD HIM to fix a bulb that was out and he changed the bulb the bulb that he used I dont know he just opened his desk and put in any bulb and then the light went out in the dash letting me know that the problem was fixed so then I thought everything was ok and payed him and left the shop. I was driving and everything seemed ok except the rpms were kind of low and it was way below the 1 but still drving fine then I parked the car and when I hit reverse the car shut off I tried to start it and it started right away and I moved the car and then I drove and it was fine but then I had to park and I put it in reverse and again the car shut off.. dash lights on and all but the car shuts off in reverse.. So my question is if he put the wrong bulb in the rear light can that cause this problem or is something else wrong because I have had this car for 3 years and never had a problem like this I do feel that it was definately something that occured at the shop and was his fault. Please let me know because this is really something stressing me out and dont have the money for right now. Thank you in advance.

Very odd but its hard to see how working on brake rotors would cause engine to stall. The bulb thing seems unrelated too. If in doubt remove the bulb in question and see. My guess is is a coincidence and nothing the guy did.

Very odd but its hard to see how working on brake rotors would cause engine to stall. The bulb thing seems unrelated too. If in doubt remove the bulb in question and see. My guess is is a coincidence and nothing the guy did.

Thanks for your reply So do you think that not using the right bulb cannot cause this type of problem? Because I can say a hundred percent that it happend at his shop previos 3 years with this car I have never had the car shut off on me in reverse. This is really insane I dont know where to start I guess by taking the bulbs out and then driving the car around.

When did you last check the tranny fluid level? Is your batt fully charged? Don't know why he would, but is it possible that he made contact with any tranny sensors/solenoids while he was under there?

ok guys update... Today I took the car out and no problem whatsover except that the light is on again for the rear light but the car is driving fine.. I decided to get an oil change a gas cleaner as well as a tranny flush and the car drives great...dunno what happend but it was definately weird... but prior to that I failed to mention that the radio was cutting in and out as well that we even before the shutting dowin in reverse so currently it has a rear light dash on and a check engine light on as well but the check engine was there for a while.. but I have to say after doing those basic things to the car tranny,oil and gas cleaner the car drives so amazing i cant believe how unbelievable it is for a car that is a 96 and has 188k on it.. I just want to fix the check engine the rear lights and the radio cutting on and off and it would even be better.....

.. I just want to fix the check engine the rear lights and the radio cutting on and off and it would even be better.....

Have you checked for dtc's?

what are dtcs?

Diagnostic Trouble Codes. Once you pull the codes you can look them up them here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...?showtopic=3725