98 Gs300 Transmission

I took my 98 GS300 to my regular (trusted) mechanic due to some hard shifting. They road tested it and said "yep, it is shifting harder than normal between 2nd & 3rd, you need to take it to a transmission shop". They recommend a local Aamco. My concern is that I will have to drop $3-$4k on replacing or rebuilding the thing. Does anyone have any advice on moving forward, or has anyone experienced the same issue with this tranny?

Just because its shifting hard doesn't mean you need a whole new transmission. It could be the transmission solenoid, could be a sensor. Take it to the shop and let them diagnose it.

I had the same problem at about 150000 miles. I took it in and had the transmiision flushed and 20000 miles later it's just fine for the amount of miles I have.

A rebuilt transmission shouldn't cost that much, i had my transmission rebuilt in my car for 1300. It shifts perfect now, some of the clutch plates were worn down. I highly doubt that this is your problem though. i agree with lexo98 get a tranny flush first and see if that helps.

A rebuilt transmission shouldn't cost that much, i had my transmission rebuilt in my car for 1300. It shifts perfect now, some of the clutch plates were worn down. I highly doubt that this is your problem though. i agree with lexo98 get a tranny flush first and see if that helps.

Sorry, one quick follow up. I spoke to a service advisor at the local Lexus dealership about my transmission. He said that Lexus/Toyota does not recommend flushing transmissions. He said it could knock something loose, or bust seals, especially in older transmissions. My car has 90,000 miles on it. Any thoughts?

Sorry, one quick follow up. I spoke to a service advisor at the local Lexus dealership about my transmission. He said that Lexus/Toyota does not recommend flushing transmissions. He said it could knock something loose, or bust seals, especially in older transmissions. My car has 90,000 miles on it. Any thoughts?

Drain and fill with Toyota t4 tranny fluid, Run it for 100 miles and repeat. Sounds like the tranny has not been well maintained, I would not flush. Sounds like a dirty/sticking solenoid. ;) These trannys are near bulletproof if maintained.

The advice about the power flush could be accurate -- if you trust your Lexus service advisor then I'd say follow his advice.

Here's the thing with transmissions: they are easy to ignore until you have problems, like the problem you are having now. So generally speaking they are ignored for thousands of miles, foresaking fluid and filter changes until they start to act funny. I'd say that a "regular" transmission service that includes replacing the filter and draining/refilling the fluid could get you back to proper operation. Let your trusted mechanic do this, and if it doesn't work then look into having either Lexus or a transmission shop give you a diagnosis along with a quote for repairs.

Here's a word of caution regarding transmission shops. In 30 years of messing around with every kind of car imaginable I have never found a truly honest tranny shop. Their solution always seems to rebuild your transmission or to swap your existing transmission out for a rebuilt unit.

Be careful.

The advice about the power flush could be accurate -- if you trust your Lexus service advisor then I'd say follow his advice.

Here's the thing with transmissions: they are easy to ignore until you have problems, like the problem you are having now. So generally speaking they are ignored for thousands of miles, foresaking fluid and filter changes until they start to act funny. I'd say that a "regular" transmission service that includes replacing the filter and draining/refilling the fluid could get you back to proper operation. Let your trusted mechanic do this, and if it doesn't work then look into having either Lexus or a transmission shop give you a diagnosis along with a quote for repairs.

Here's a word of caution regarding transmission shops. In 30 years of messing around with every kind of car imaginable I have never found a truly honest tranny shop. Their solution always seems to rebuild your transmission or to swap your existing transmission out for a rebuilt unit.

Be careful.

From what I thought a flush and a power flush were different. Mine was flushed and it worked for me

I recently had a maintenance done at my local mechanic shop owned by my uncle. He use to work for a Toyota service shop here in NY and also employees another head mechanic from Toyota that comes every afternoon. He informed me there was nothing wrong in flushing the tranny fluid. But i guess its also better to be safe than sorry by draining a little and filling it up. Either way, the results should be the same if done with care.

When I first noticed the problem, I had the Lexus dealer "service" the transmission. Apparently that entailed draining and replacing the fluid. I asked if they replaced the filter, and the service advisor said that they don't break any seals on the tranny unless they are leaking and need to be repaired/replaced. This seemed odd to me since I thought changing the filter was routine maintenance. The car is at Aamco (the one my trusted mechanic recommended) right now, we'll see what they say.

When I first noticed the problem, I had the Lexus dealer "service" the transmission. Apparently that entailed draining and replacing the fluid. I asked if they replaced the filter, and the service advisor said that they don't break any seals on the tranny unless they are leaking and need to be repaired/replaced. This seemed odd to me since I thought changing the filter was routine maintenance. The car is at Aamco (the one my trusted mechanic recommended) right now, we'll see what they say.

The filter is nothing but a screen in the bottom of the pan with a couple of magnets around it. Never needs replacing...

• 6 months later...

I took my 98 GS300 to my regular (trusted) mechanic due to some hard shifting. They road tested it and said "yep, it is shifting harder than normal between 2nd & 3rd, you need to take it to a transmission shop". They recommend a local Aamco. My concern is that I will have to drop $3-$4k on replacing or rebuilding the thing. Does anyone have any advice on moving forward, or has anyone experienced the same issue with this tranny?

Just yesterday (Jul 27, 10), my 01 GS-300, I purchased new, experienced the "harsh shifing from 2nd to 3rd with no kidding light throttle input. I've been reading up on it and sounds like it's related to Bulletin Number: 00502, bulletin date Oct 02, ENGINE AND ENGINE COOOLING - SUMMARY: ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM) CALIBRATION UPDATED: HARSH 2-3 SHIFT CONDITION DURING ACCELATION WITH LIGHT THROTTLE INPUT. (NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10000250).

REF DATA CODE P0500, Vehicle Speed Sensor. The shifing problme may be related to this. This reports road speed to the Engine Control Module (ECM). This info is used by the speedometer, transmission shifting, to synchronzie emission sysetems and to adjust for various engine requirments. Other models (94 ES 300) that have problems with the VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR (VSS). The same transmission has been used on several Lexus model years on at least a million cars. Recognzie there might be a backup sensor. This can make diagnosis more difficult. Have Lexus diagnos it (have your research handy and any previous mx workorders related to this, tell them it emissions related and investigate if the emissions warranty covers it. Hope this helps and I agree with the person that said be wary of tranmission rebuild shops. Had an 88 Taurus with 90,000 miles rebuilt and it didn't last. Cost me $1,800 11 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful.

Totally Agree - I had three shops do services that were not needed. AAMCO actaully took a tranny apart without asking and then wanted to charge to put it back.

Be careful