Newbie With A Few Questions

carlvr87

hello everyone,

I am a long time lurker and decided to finally post. My name is Paul. I'm 22 and from Philly.

Right now I own a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe(which I love) and I have previously owned an 05 and 06 santa fe and an 07 sonata. I have always loved Lexus and hoped to own. I'm thinking about purchasing an Avalon or an ES( probably a 330). I love everything about the Avalon although I drove a touring a while back and didn't care for the ride. I would most likely go for an XLS. I would love an ES350 but I'm sure that's out of my price range. A guy i work with has an 03 ES he purchased last year with 7,000 miles and he loves it. I take care of a lady's car at work(i work for a dealership detailing cars) and she has an 08 es350 and a 02 es300, she loves both of them as well.

I'm leaning more towards the Lexus just for the quietness and I love all of the wood trim.

I know cars pretty well but I have a few questions

1. Are the Lexus vehicles expensive to repair?

2. I would probably be looking at an 05-06 es330, any problems I should be aware of?

3. I know the ES is more like a camry but can anyone compare the Avalon to the ES?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated and I'm looking forward to all of the info I can get.

I look forward to getting to know some of you!

Paul

My old 95 ES has been no more expensive to repair than any other of similar type. Shy away from Lexus dealers, though - if you want branded parts and service, take it to a Toyota dealer, and any decent local shop can fix 'er up. My take on the Avalon vs. ES - Sort of like Granny's car compared to one driven by a youngish Aunt Ruth. To me, the Avalon is a bit too much like a Buick - soft ride, not the greatest handling, largish size, uninspired styling. No expert here, but the only ES model year I have heard really bad things about is the '07. Look up reliability ratings and such on the Internet.

Thanks for the reply!

those are the 2 of the things that draw me to the avalon, soft ride, and largish size. I do however agree about the handling. The dealership I detail for services all makes and models but I would prefer to take either car i decide on to the Toyota dealer down the street. I'm not in any rush to purchase, just waiting for the right car. If I decide on the Avalon, it's going to be Phantom Gray with gray interior. If I decide on the ES330, it's going to be the bluish/green color (i forget the name) with black interior.

My next step is to probably test drive them back to back to decide what I really want. It seems as though I can get an 05 ES cheaper than an 05 Avalon.