Auto Vent

Hi Everyone,

I have an 08 GS350 and this is more bothersome than it is an issue but does anyone know why when I set my vent to "auto" (the fresh air vs. recirculate) it stays on auto for a few days (switching back and forth to recirculate and fresh air by itself) and then it switches to manual fresh air by itself? I don't make any changes to the system and the overall system setting is set to "auto". The manual does not address this specific issue. I know if I call the dealer they will say "that's the way it's supposed to work". But what bothers me is that it seems to reset randomly. Sometimes it resets over days and sometimes it resets after a few hours.

Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

I have an 08 GS350 and this is more bothersome than it is an issue but does anyone know why when I set my vent to "auto" (the fresh air vs. recirculate) it stays on auto for a few days (switching back and forth to recirculate and fresh air by itself) and then it switches to manual fresh air by itself? I don't make any changes to the system and the overall system setting is set to "auto". The manual does not address this specific issue. I know if I call the dealer they will say "that's the way it's supposed to work". But what bothers me is that it seems to reset randomly. Sometimes it resets over days and sometimes it resets after a few hours.

Thanks.

I have an 06 GS300 and have wondered the same thing. Mine is continually going back and forth between recirculate and fresh air almost every 3-4 minutes. I do not understand how this system works. Wish I did. Any information would certainly be appreciated

If the vent is set to auto, it will also react to outside air quality issues. There is a way to adjust its sensitivity, but I cannot remember how I did it (it was not a personalized setting on my '06 GS. I think I used the method explained in this IS post:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...st&p=247142

Of course it's also possible that something is wrong with the sensor and/or electronics.

Well I went in and saw where I can adjust the "smog" setting. The factory setting was in the middle so I left it like that. I called the dealer and got the explanation I expected: "It's normal for the "auto" light to turn off randomly, the system will do what it wants and there is no logic to it...that's the way it's designed". I doubt an engineer designed a feature to operate randomly...but that's a par answer for the Lexus Service dept I use.

• 2 months later...

I have the exact same problem on my 2008 GS 460 but not on my 2002 SC 430. On the SC it stays on auto all the time under the exact same conditions as the GS. They're in the garage next to each other and more often than not when I start the GS in the garage the auto is off. I reset the smog settings but it didn't change anything.