Clean Or Buy A Used Egr Valve?

90LS400Lexus

My 1991 LS400 is showing a code 71 (EGR system malfunction) after getting the throttle body cleaned. I was told in another thread it could have been were some gunk was lodged in the EGR. Someone on another forum had posted info on how to remove, but I dont think I will be able to do this task... I could not even see all of the bolts I was told had to be removed. :( A new one is $189. even at Autozone... I cant afford that. I think I have the car sold and want to get this repaired.

I am wondering if I would be better off buying a used one and having it installed? Have also wondered if perhaps something like fuel injector cleaner would help, but to my knowledge its only air that goes through this?

I've cleaned more than a few EGR valves, but not the Lexus one. Using a throttle body cleaner is all you need - remove the valve, and the idea is to remove the carbon on the pintle that acts as the valve for the exhaust gas. There is a position sensor on the valve, and if it doesn't return to fully closed because of the carbon when the computer commands it to close, then it will pop a code. When you get the thing removed you'll see how it works. Mechanically they are simple. It's possible the diaphragm has ruptured, but it's simple to apply vacuum to it and see if it leaks air. If it's ruptured that will also cause a code.

A huge irony is that the lexls.com tutorial on throttle body cleaning www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html says cleaning should PREVENT a code 71 (EGR system malfunction) or cause the code to dissappear. Yet in your case, the opposite happened!

You might google "code 71 EGR" to see what other Toyota owners have done to solve the code. I think someone on another forum found it meant faulty egr gas temp sensor which in turn might mean the wire to the sensor was disconnected (perhaps the mechanic who cleaned your throttle body knocked a wire loose or failed to reconnect a disconnect wire??)

lol. I know right. Its just my luck. I tell ya, this car has been one headache after another (especially with the power steering system that I have fixed now), but its still a good car as far as major things go... I feel that the engine and transmission will last forever. I had just got my power steering all fixed... then I wanted to get the throttle body cleaned, because I had a hesitation and jerking... the throttle body was very dirty and it runs amazing now, but as mentioned, only a day later the CEL came on (which it had never did before while driving) and it showed that "71" code. I was like, what in the heck - well its just my luck, I fix one thing, something else happens. I think the car hates me.

Anyway, its setting at the shop now as I dropped it off an hour ago and they will get to it tomorrow. I am hoping they wont charge me a fortune to clean the EGR valve. I actually have the car sold and it will be picked up next week. I just didnt want to sell it with this issue. I priced it and will stay at that price and just take a loss on whatever I have to pay to get this fixed. I already miss it and I havent even sold it, because it runs so good now, but after two years I still owe $2000 on it and I cant afford to keep it, as it still needs valve cover gaskets and down the road, motor mounts. I cant afford for anything else to happen, even minor, because we all know how expensive these cars are to buy parts for and they are not easy for a non-DIY'er like me to work on.

I love the gen 1 LS400s, and this is my 2nd one, but will never own another unless I can afford to own one if you know what I mean. IF I ever get another, it will likely be a low mileage 95-97 LS400 that has already had the typical major issues dealt with.

For now, I am thinking of buying a low mileage Lincoln Town Car... a 1993. Its a low mileage car that belongs to a friend of grandpas. It has already had the major things done, such as completely new air suspension replaced at the dealer less than 6000 ago and new window motors, etc. Its a nice car and I can buy it for only $1500. I think I am making the right move here by letting the LS400 go, but it will be missed. I also needed a larger higher setting car like a Town Car to get my grandpa in and out easier, which is another main reason I am selling it and to buy something I dont have to have full-coverage insurance on.

I am also looking at a 1997 Toyota T100 4wd truck... really nice. They are pretty reliable trucks. I know a guy that has 290K on one and its been a very low-cost vehicle to maintain and nothing like the LS400 in parts cost.

A huge irony is that the lexls.com tutorial on throttle body cleaning www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/throttlebody.html says cleaning should PREVENT a code 71 (EGR system malfunction) or cause the code to dissappear. Yet in your case, the opposite happened!

You might google "code 71 EGR" to see what other Toyota owners have done to solve the code. I think someone on another forum found it meant faulty egr gas temp sensor which in turn might mean the wire to the sensor was disconnected (perhaps the mechanic who cleaned your throttle body knocked a wire loose or failed to reconnect a disconnect wire??)