Looking For A Newer Ls

92ls forhundo

hello all, and happy new year!

ive been around these parts for about 5 years now, though havent been posting for awhile, been busy doing other stuff, etc.

so i am thinking that my trusty 92 silvermist ls400 is reaching its end of life for me, my seats are trashed, i am having problems with my electrical, my suspension is way tired, my beloved nak speakers are dying, i got a leak in the sunroof, and ive just developed a weird electrical problem, with way over 300k on the clock(odo broke at 238,xxx, 4 years ago).

i cant imagine not having an ls, and i dont want another 1st gen, id like to move up, not a 430, definately a 400 , a later one with the better interiors, etc....ive seen some very nice 99's and 98's, but also 97 was the last year of the non-interference engine which i kinda am leaning towards just in case a tb broke( i know remote, but still...)

so my question is to the peanut gallery here, what is the most desirable of the post 1st gen 400's , and why?

thank you in advance

95+ are interference.

I REALLY like my new to me 95. Its a very incremental update but 95-97 models have alot of upgrades that make the ls400 a much more modern car compared to the 1st gen. 98+ cars are nice but still out of my price range.

whats your budget? 98+ models are still very competent in almost every aspect of a modern luxury car.

95+ are interference.

I REALLY like my new to me 95. Its a very incremental update but 95-97 models have alot of upgrades that make the ls400 a much more modern car compared to the 1st gen. 98+ cars are nice but still out of my price range.

whats your budget? 98+ models are still very competent in almost every aspect of a modern luxury car.

thanks for the reply, right now really no budget is my budget, but i was hoping to pick up one in the 5-7 k range, i saw a beautiful 99 @ lexus of riverside ,ca for 9900....

98's would be my ideal, btw, but the 95's are a step up from mine big time too

yeah as the the refreshes, ive seen the 95+ and its a whole different car on the inside, by lexus own standards the 1st gen is archaic and awful, and ive always dug the minor athletic-looking body reworkings of the 95 and later, as to the the vvti, i though that came into being in 97...ok, then thats a moot point...my sister has 2000 volvo s60, and while that car has its issues, ive always told her if i could put her interior into my lexus it would be the perfect car...i think a 95 onward ls fits that bill pretty closely...as the difference between mine and yours is dramatic...

My father-in-law has a 95, and I have the 92 LS. His is a nice car for sure, but the 98-00 models have the better engine, and look WAY better. The 95-97 are just not that good looking in the front end. The first gen look better all these years on. The 98-00 are best looking of the bunch, and with the VVTI engine and the five speed trans, go like the wind with no real reduction in economy. My 98 GS has the VVTI at 300 hp and it's a beast.

If you are going to move up, move up past the 95-97, and get a 98-00, preferably an 00.

That's my opinion of course.

Good luck in the hunt.

The 95-97 are just not that good looking in the front end. The first gen look better all these years on. The 98-00 are best looking of the bunch, and with the VVTI engine and the five speed trans, go like the wind with no real reduction in economy. My 98 GS has the VVTI at 300 hp and it's a beast.

I'd say that's a pretty good summary. The 250 hp in my gen1 is plenty for me. An extra 50 would just be icing on the cake. Of course we're talking sedans here. Go into a different catagory and naturally, you have to realign the priorities. :whistles:

The 95-97 are just not that good looking in the front end. The first gen look better all these years on. The 98-00 are best looking of the bunch, and with the VVTI engine and the five speed trans, go like the wind with no real reduction in economy. My 98 GS has the VVTI at 300 hp and it's a beast.

I'd say that's a pretty good summary. The 250 hp in my gen1 is plenty for me. An extra 50 would just be icing on the cake. Of course we're talking sedans here. Go into a different catagory and naturally, you have to realign the priorities.:whistles:

thanks guys for the opinions, they are exactly what i was asking for...as to my 92, the power/silent thrust/confidence is all well and good, more would be better, the thing that would stop me from looking for a nicer , newer(to me) 1st gen , like i said is that the interiors just hasnt held up well, both in actuality and in asthetics, i agree the last 400's are the best looking of the bunch, but the later interiors with all the wood, the better seats, etc i guess is the most exciting prospect to me....jeez i must be getting old :D

from reading this forum, it appears the first gen LS's '90-94, have more problems than the 2nd gen 95-00.

I speak from experience also, having had 6 LS's and my 2 97's are the most trouble free.

I have not had any 98-00 models, driven several but they failed to impress me as an improvement over the 97's....

my opinion only counts to me... and I understand that...

cheers

from reading this forum, it appears the first gen LS's '90-94, have more problems than the 2nd gen 95-00.

I speak from experience also, having had 6 LS's and my 2 97's are the most trouble free.

I have not had any 98-00 models, driven several but they failed to impress me as an improvement over the 97's....

my opinion only counts to me... and I understand that...

cheers

but exactly what i am looking for, thank you very very much!

Wow! I thought the 98-00 LS was an incredible change from the 95-97 LS:

Automatic leveling HID headlights

Vehicle Stability Control -- the most amazing electronic automotive gizmo I've ever experienced

5-Speed transmission with a Mercedes-like shift gate -- 5-speed boosts fuel economy

over 10% more horsepower

side airbags

"de-powered" front airbags that are safer for smaller people (like my wife)

brake assist on the 2000 LS

The above changes are the ones most important to us. A pretty good summary of the changes for all model years is at http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

Wow! I thought the 98-00 LS was an incredible change from the 95-97 LS:

Automatic leveling HID headlights

Vehicle Stability Control -- the most amazing electronic automotive gizmo I've ever experienced

5-Speed transmission with a Mercedes-like shift gate -- 5-speed boosts fuel economy

over 10% more horsepower

side airbags

"de-powered" front airbags that are safer for smaller people (like my wife)

brake assist on the 2000 LS

The above changes are the ones most important to us. A pretty good summary of the changes for all model years is at http://www.lexls.com/info/lsgenerations.html

I am not against all the improvements and safety features, more horsepower better fuel economy and such, they just didnt impress the old 75 year old body I live in....

I just compared the ride and handling between the 95-97 and 98-2000 .... I dont worry about one getting 2 or 3 more miles per gallon than the other, I dont go much anymore...

I remember, from 20 to 50 I had to have the BEST, now just good is ok..

I really enjoy these post, keep it up..

take a look at the cars I have owned below.... you'll see,

I've owned 4 LS400s, a 91, 95, 98 and 99, and I still have the 98 and 99. I prefer the 98 and 99 for the following reasons: (1) more power; (2) exterior looks best (to me); (3) 5-speed transmission; (4) better handling; (5) side airbags; (6) interior is slightly better in 98 and 99, e.g., wood steering wheel and shift knob.

The 91 had developed some of the problems noted elsewhere in this forum, e.g., power steering leaks, but was still fairly reliable before it was finally wrecked at 212K miles. The wreck made me realize that these cars are built like tanks. I hit a concrete wall at 45 degrees at 50 mph and the damage to the car was far less than I would have expected, and I only had minor injuries.

I bought the 95 with @ 155K miles (to replace the wrecked 91), and had it for 1.5 years without needing to do any repairs to it at all, aside from oil and other fluid changes. No kidding. I took it to the Lexus dealer a few times during the time I owned it and figured that they'd find at least something they recommended fixing or replacing, but each time they said it needed nothing. Based on this limited experience, I would agree that the 95-97 series is very reliable.

The 99 I bought with @ 80K. It had been trouble free for the first four years (and 45K miles) I had it, but I've recently needed to replace some of the front suspension components, e.g., strut rods, front ball joints, and will need to replace more of them soon. Actually, the strut rods were probably bad for about 10K miles before I finally replaced them. This car still has a buttery smooth and quiet ride.

The 98 I bought only a few months ago with 126K and it already had the strut rods replaced before I bought it. The rest of the suspension parts on the 98 seem fine, thankfully. The 98 was a 1-owner bought from a Lexus dealer, so I didn't think I would have any problems with it. However, I needed to replace a front wheel bearing soon after I bought the car, which was expensive. The transmission mount needed to be replaced when I bought the car but the two front engine mounts could have waited another few years. I replaced the tranny mount and the two front motor mounts and the improvement in smoothness and ride was incredible. I also switched over to Mobil 1 synthetic and the car had apparently always used conventional motor oil. Based upon what I read elsewhere I was worried that switching to synthetic at such high mileage (126K) might cause an oil leak. I did not experience any leaks, though.

I have not gotten tired of the 99 LS400 in 4+ years of driving it. I still like it as much as when I bought it, even more, since I recently upgraded the stereo in it. I plan on keeping the 98 and 99 for a long time yet. I used to go to the Lexus dealer for all maintenance and repairs, but I now order parts as needed online at parts.com and use an independent mechanic to do the work.