Sign in to follow this  
rlx101

Whats This Light Above Low Beam Light Called? Pic Inside

Just found out that this light went out. Does anyone know what its called? is it H3-55W???

headlight.jpg

pulled this from sylvania web site:

2002 LEXUS ES300 (With HID (high intensity discharge) headlamps)

Low beam headlamp

HID-D2R

High beam headlamp

9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen

9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice

9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light

9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light

2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal

992 (7440A)

Rear turn signal

992 (7440A)

Tail light

Stop light

High mount stop light

7440ST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

7440LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Fog/Driving light

H3-55W

License plate

Back up light

921ST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

921LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front sidemarker

194LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Rear sidemarker

Glove box

Dome light

DE3175

DE3175LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

7443LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Step/Courtesy light

Trunk/Cargo area

DE3021

That's the parking light.

The orange one on the bumper is the sidemarker, and the fog/driving light is the fog light in the lower bumper.

cool. I was going to replace my license plate lights (194) anyway so i'd just order 2 more for both parking lights. i assume 2825 and 194 are the same type of bulb.

The orange one on the bumper is the sidemarker, and the fog/driving light is the fog light in the lower bumper.

cool. I was going to replace my license plate lights (194) anyway so i'd just order 2 more for both parking lights. i assume 2825 and 194 are the same type of bulb.

Well, they are interchangeable but the 2825 is designed to be a little brighter. You can put a 194 in a 2825 socket, but you shouldn't put a 2825 in a 194 socket as the location might not be designed for the extra current.

looks like changing that parking light willnot be easy either. i'll have to pull the headlights to get to them..

No joke, changing the license plate lights were a big pain in the 02 ES as you have to take off the inner truck lid cover

Yeah, you'll need to remove the headlights...

I think user SW03ES on this site has changed his front parking bulb once, maybe you can PM him about it?

And kevinwang- the DRL bulb is the same as the high beam bulb, they're one in the same. DRL is the high beam bulb at 1/2 power.

Just found out that this light went out. Does anyone know what its called? is it H3-55W(what sylvania website refers to as fog/driving light)???

The bulb that is out is commonly called the "city light" in Europe from the days when a number of European cities including Moscow, London and Paris prohibited the use of headlights at night in an attempt to preserve some sort of ambiance. The maximum wattage of bulbs used for city lights was 5 watts and some car makers used some pretty fancy optics to get the maximum light out of those measly 5 watts. I don't think there are any cities left that require only city lights at night but Toyota still puts them on cars that have headlight units that are used in Europe. I'm not sure of the first year when headlights on Lexus cars were common to the US and Europe but I know that some of them were by the 1998 model year.

Just found out that this light went out. Does anyone know what its called? is it H3-55W(what sylvania website refers to as fog/driving light)???

The bulb that is out is commonly called the "city light" in Europe from the days when a number of European cities including Moscow, London and Paris prohibited the use of headlights at night in an attempt to preserve some sort of ambiance. The maximum wattage of bulbs used for city lights was 5 watts and some car makers used some pretty fancy optics to get the maximum light out of those measly 5 watts. I don't think there are any cities left that require only city lights at night but Toyota still puts them on cars that have headlight units that are used in Europe. I'm not sure of the first year when headlights on Lexus cars were common to the US and Europe but I know that some of them were by the 1998 model year.

that's really interesting!! i didn't know that <_<

that's really interesting!! i didn't know that <_<

I was able to change these bulbs out on my 2002 ES300 by pulling the wheel well shroud back and reaching up to the light assembly. I could not locate the 4th bolt that held the light assembly in place but found this worked as well. I broke off a couple of the plastic tabs and just bought replacements at an auto parts store. Hope this helps.

thanks. i'll ask. just went through the links in your sig ... your wood projects are sick! amazing work there.

are you in some kind of restoration business by any chance?

I think user SW03ES on this site has changed his front parking bulb once, maybe you can PM him about it?

And kevinwang- the DRL bulb is the same as the high beam bulb, they're one in the same. DRL is the high beam bulb at 1/2 power.

thanks. i'll ask. just went through the links in your sig ... your wood projects are sick! amazing work there.

are you in some kind of restoration business by any chance?

Thanks for the compliments! :) It's not my business or anything, mostly do these modifications for myself. Occasionally someone else will ask me to do something unique for them, but on the forum it's considered "soliciting" so i can't really "advertise" lol...

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BUMPER OR HEADLIGHTS... if you have small hands or a handy chick. turn the wheel facing out ward and pop the wheel well liner our and use your right or left hand depending on the side the run it up and under the frame? metal part. hold the harness with the flat part of the wire harness up and insert slightly off center toward the engine. you have to have girl hands to do this. i is a pain in the !Removed! but way easier than pulling your car apart. i have been through 3 types of bulbs. warning LED eventually blow from the heat. hints 3 pairs as i have HIDs. the more i replaced them the easier going in through the wheel well was. i

parking lights 2825 can subsitute 194s but are only 3wats instead of 5. i went with crome plated amber 194s that were 5 watts. i had to go to a speacialy store cause all the ones online do not tell you the watts. I have my side markers connected to my turns so i use the ambers for side markers and parking lights. i love em with yellow fogs. yellows are used for measuring distance so i now have three diff colors of amber and yellow. safety first!!!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REMOVE THE BUMPER OR HEADLIGHTS... if you have small hands or a handy chick. turn the wheel facing out ward and pop the wheel well liner our and use your right or left hand depending on the side the run it up and under the frame? metal part. hold the harness with the flat part of the wire harness up and insert slightly off center toward the engine. you have to have girl hands to do this. i is a pain in the !Removed! but way easier than pulling your car apart. i have been through 3 types of bulbs. warning LED eventually blow from the heat. hints 3 pairs as i have HIDs. the more i replaced them the easier going in through the wheel well was. i

parking lights 2825 can subsitute 194s but are only 3wats instead of 5. i went with crome plated amber 194s that were 5 watts. i had to go to a speacialy store cause all the ones online do not tell you the watts. I have my side markers connected to my turns so i use the ambers for side markers and parking lights. i love em with yellow fogs. yellows are used for measuring distance so i now have three diff colors of amber and yellow. safety first!!!

yellow fogs!!?? RIGHT ON!! :D

I love that look... HID lows with yellow fogs.

If you're having issues with LED replacement bulbs burning out, the issue is the LED bulb. Most online or autozone LED bulbs don't have a voltage regulator built in them. The car puts out a range from 12-15V depending on the alternator, and most LED bulbs aren't prepared for that much voltage.

There are only a selected few LED bulbs online that have built in voltage/current regulators... And make sure when using directional LED replacements to get the right load resistors with proper heatsink to prevent overheating and high flashing.

Actually I must be ahead of the game :D

I foud a site thanks to my x, that sells nothing but led bulbs and all of there car bulbs are 12 volt. they sell hobby, landscape, component leds, auto, and marine. Super Bright LEDS (lets see if they catch that to edit it) i replaced all markers and inside tails (trunk lid) w leds. I had to use load resistors on the inside tails cause it was throwing the warning light on the dash as a bulb out. my brakes and turns i used upgraded regular bulbs cause leds are not bright enough to compair and you have to use load resistors. my lights are brighter than anyone else i have seen cause i used chip marker bulbs. I even upgraded all interior and trunk lights w cool blue leds. I even figured out how to solder and change the component led (chip board) foot well lighting :P a word to the wise do not change the bulb in the ash tray or at least keep the bulb cause i cant find a bulb w the same green cap on it or a led that matches the console lighting. its 30$ at lexus cause you have to buy the fixute and harness and its the smallest bulb in the car!

The only leds I had problems with was the parking lights in the hid case. they tell you not to use leds in the same compartment with headlights that they will short from heat... Honeslty dont go w leds for parking lights the 5 wat ambers make the lens glow like a 3d egg. not just a light in a lens. they are the best even agianst the amber leds. i had blue but were way too brite and illegal. im not lookin for a ticket

Changing those bulbs is a PITA...I finally just let my mechanic do it...