Cigerette Lighter Not Working

killerFatty

I got a GPS for christmas and when I went to plug in the charger I got no charge. I tried the plug behind the center arm rest and it doesnt work either. At night when I have my lights on, the green lights all around both outlets light up just fine. I tried a cell charger and plug in seat warmer too, but neither of them got any juice so I know its not the GPS chrager that is the problem. Is there an easy way to fix this??

I got a GPS for christmas and when I went to plug in the charger I got no charge. I tried the plug behind the center arm rest and it doesnt work either. At night when I have my lights on, the green lights all around both outlets light up just fine. I tried a cell charger and plug in seat warmer too, but neither of them got any juice so I know its not the GPS chrager that is the problem. Is there an easy way to fix this??

Have you checked the fuse?

Killer,

The green lights you mention are dash lights! What you probably have is a blown fuse(s). Get your owners manual out and see which one(s) are used for that function.

Brett

If you didn't know to check the fuse I think you should know something. If you find that the fuse is blown, and it blows an exact replacement again. That doesn't mean that installing a bigger fuse fixes the problem. If the fuse keeps blowing there is probably a short or something in the receptical somewhere. I had the same problem and I noticed little pieces of metal down in the receptical that came from a broken accessory and they were causing the fuse to blow by shorting the circuit. Exactly why the fuse is there.

If you didn't know to check the fuse I think you should know something. If you find that the fuse is blown, and it blows an exact replacement again. That doesn't mean that installing a bigger fuse fixes the problem. If the fuse keeps blowing there is probably a short or something in the receptical somewhere. I had the same problem and I noticed little pieces of metal down in the receptical that came from a broken accessory and they were causing the fuse to blow by shorting the circuit. Exactly why the fuse is there.

Banshee365 makes an excellent point. NEVER upsize a fuse because fuses are sized by engineers to protect your vehicle's wiring, not the devices connected to the wiring. If there's an electrial short and the fuse has been upsized, your wiring is in danger of melting it's insulation and starting a fire some place in the vehicle.

Banshee365 makes an excellent point. NEVER upsize a fuse because fuses are sized by engineers to protect your vehicle's wiring, not the devices connected to the wiring. If there's an electrial short and the fuse has been upsized, your wiring is in danger of melting it's insulation and starting a fire some place in the vehicle.

Absolutely... your LS will end up as a big pile of ash.... :o

My front lighter dont power up, but the rear does, so I use it. The lighters have never been used and they are clean as new, so not sure why my front one dont power up. I just put the unused lighter back in it.

I checked the fuse and it was blown. I can't believe I had to start a new thread to tthink of that LOL. Any way I replaced it and teasted out the gps for 20 minutes and the charger worked perfectly. I didn't blow again which makes me wonder why it fried in the first place though. Thanks for the help.

I checked the fuse and it was blown. I can't believe I had to start a new thread to tthink of that LOL. Any way I replaced it and teasted out the gps for 20 minutes and the charger worked perfectly. I didn't blow again which makes me wonder why it fried in the first place though. Thanks for the help.

Many times, a coin or other small metal object will get dropped into the lighter socket which immediately blows the fuse. The person then fishes the coin out and

does not think to replace the fuse. Especially if the lighter rarely gets used. It has happened to me. I have even seen fuses that, over the years, just go bad. Not

blown, just develop a bad connection inside. The result is the same.

I dont know, but on some cars it seems like sometimes fuses just seem to blow out for no reason.... replace them with the proper amperage and normally everything is fine.

There are also fuses known as "slow blow". These fuses endure the higher inrush current of a motor or incandescent lamp while still providing overall current protection.

If you get the wrong fuse installed(even of the same amperage), seemingly "mysterious" blowouts can occur. In reality, there is always a good explanation.

• 2 weeks later...

I plugged an electric motor into my front lighter outlet. it no longer works and I think that I checked the correct fuse. Any hints? If I melted wires, how do I get the rotating door off to chase wires? 95 ls400.

steve

Unless the fuse for this circuit was improperly upsized then you probably don't have to worry about the wiring. I'd be absolutely sure you have checked the right fuse and maybe measure it with a DVM to be sure it is zero ohms as sometimes they are hard to see. I'd do that before tearing the console apart.

I plugged an electric motor into my front lighter outlet. it no longer works and I think that I checked the correct fuse. Any hints? If I melted wires, how do I get the rotating door off to chase wires? 95 ls400.

steve

What no longer works...the motor or outlet? What kind of motor did you plug into the outlet?