Symtoms Of Bad O2 Sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1?

tealboy

can anyone tell me what the symptom of a bad o2 sensor is? My 02 RX300 gave a check engine light and code pointing to a bad Bank 1, Sensor 1 o2/AF sensor. The mechanic said it is the heating element of the o2 sensor and that it is otherwise working fine. He said it should not be important to replace unless I wanted the check engine and vsc light to go away b/c we live in Florida where the heating component of the sensor is not so important.

Does this make sense? How do i know (or does he know) if the 02 sensor is working fine with the exception of the heating element, which he doesn't think is important in my case.

I admire his interest in saving me money on the repair, but also want to make sure i am getting good advice. By the way, he is not a lexus dealer but you probably already knew that b/c they would never miss the opportunity to charge me $350 to replace this part.

What code numbers did your mechanic get? Bank 1 Sensor 1 is an A/F sensor (not O2). There are so many sensors on this car--if one doesn't replace a sensor and another issue arrises, your job of tracking the issue becomes increasingly difficult. Frequently, the problem is something other than the sensor, i.e. vacuum leak, fuel cap, etc. Just an opinion. Good luck!

You can replace the A/F sensor yourself. It's an easy job.

When you look down between the radiator and the engine you see the sensor screwed into the exhaust manifold. Now that is A/F sensor 2. A/F sensor 1 is located in back of the engine and is accessible only from under the car.

The cost of the sensor is about $150.00 at oxygensensors.com and free shipping. I would use only the Denso brand, it is original equipment.

Happy New Year and good luck with the sensor.

can anyone tell me what the symptom of a bad o2 sensor is? My 02 RX300 gave a check engine light and code pointing to a bad Bank 1, Sensor 1 o2/AF sensor. The mechanic said it is the heating element of the o2 sensor and that it is otherwise working fine. He said it should not be important to replace unless I wanted the check engine and vsc light to go away b/c we live in Florida where the heating component of the sensor is not so important.

Does this make sense? How do i know (or does he know) if the 02 sensor is working fine with the exception of the heating element, which he doesn't think is important in my case.

I admire his interest in saving me money on the repair, but also want to make sure i am getting good advice. By the way, he is not a lexus dealer but you probably already knew that b/c they would never miss the opportunity to charge me $350 to replace this part.

The advice Karl K gave you was spot on. The advice your mechanic gave you was also spot on. I have had experience with this and had to get a quick education on this because the car was 1200 miles away and an extreme medical emergency was what put it 1200 miles away. I got the education from very talented Lexus independent mechanics and then followed up with a great deal of technical reading afterwards. The code: P1135, refers to THAT SPECIFIC THING, heating element, B1S1. The heating element only works part of the time (probably not a very large % of the time) and the engine will run fine with NO detriment to the engine while it is not working. They put it there for a reason, so the sensor needs to be replaced, but the loss of the heating element does not create an emergency, so replace it when you are able (there are good explanations as to how to do it without a lot of frustration, on this or other Lexus forums by using the search feature), but sleep well until you are able to do it. You have received good advice, now all you have to do is follow it.