Headlight Lens Foggy-how To Clean?

babyduke

Regarding your headlamp,

If is just a case of the outside of the lense that has become dull over time, as they do, they you might try using some Meguirre's Scrath and Swirl remover. These types of scratch and swirl removers for paint finishes work well in brightening up head lamps that have become dull..

Regarding your headlamp,

If is just a case of the outside of the lense that has become dull over time, as they do, they you might try using some Meguirre's Scrath and Swirl remover. These types of scratch and swirl removers for paint finishes work well in brightening up head lamps that have become dull..

That may be the case but how do I do the inside part of the lens?

Regarding your headlamp,

That may be the case but how do I do the inside part of the lens?

There are posts on "How To's" You have to remove the assembly and bake it in an oven at 190-200 degrees for 5- 15 minutes and this will soften the adhesive that holds the lens on to the housing, Polish the inside of the lens and reassemble after a good cleaning, Seal with a good epoxy and reassemble. If you do this It is advisable that both lenses get the same treatment.

• 3 weeks later...
The passenger side headlight lens is very foggy. Is there a way to take it out to clean or better, clean it without having to remove it first?

i found that NEVER DULL works really well on de-fogging headlights. its in a little silver can and is a cotton like material. my headlights were really foggy and now they look like new. you can get the stuff at autozone or any auto parts

Hey,

I have a 97 SC 400 and had the same problem. Tried a few products and never got the results I wanted. Honesetly you should probably just replace them. You can find a decent price on a new or refurbished pair of headlights on e-bay. Got mine for $350 (pair) which to me was well worth it. Made my car look almost brand new. Hope this helps...

J.Wills

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. I'm new to the club but not cars. I just bought a 1993 SC400 this weekend. Headlights were all yellow. Wet sanded with 400. then 800, then 1500. Then buffed them out with non silicone polish and my black and decker polishing pad. About 45 minutes total invested. 2 days later hit them with headlight clear. They look new. I did not remove the lights from the car.

• Like 1

I ordered new headlight assemblies for my Corolla, Silverado, and Frontier. Very inexpensive, easy to install, and looks brand new (because they are). Eagle Eyes on Amazon. Costs between $50 and $150 a set depending on the car. I would say if the current assembly as moisture inside then remove the old assembly, dump rubbing alcohol inside and swish it around. Run a hair dryer in for awhile then put a little vaseline on the twist seal. Of course if you are going to all that trouble, better just to freshen up the lighting.

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2015 at 11:27 AM, chicago sc3 said:

DEEP WOODS OFF. or any bug spray with DEET in it. Polishes it up like a charm Old headlights will look like new

I use this trick on all my cars. Best and cheapest thing on the market