Es300 Engine Noises

andrew94es

Ok, here's the deal. This car hasn't been driven in a while. It's a '94 ES300 with approx 125K miles. Car is in very good condition. Approx June '08 I drove car across town on freeway at 70+ mph no problems, noises, etc... then it started running a little hot so I shut it down and had it towed home. After it had completely cooled at home I discover radiator neck was cracked and water pump was leaking slightly. I filled back up with coolant and cranked let it run for a few minutes no noises or anything, still ran well. Deciced to let it sit and fix later. Well about year later(June '09) put in a new battery and it cranks right up and runs well but has a nocking sound in the engine. Anybody have any ideas what could have happened just letting it sit there. This is a really nice car still and hate to scrap it due to the engine. Someone told me it could have deposits on the pistons from sitting in the grass that can be taken care of by running some H2o through the engine, but sound a little far fetched to me. Hate to scrap this car still drives well, everything works, and the A/C still blows cold.

Ok, here's the deal. This car hasn't been driven in a while. It's a '94 ES300 with approx 125K miles. Car is in very good condition. Approx June '08 I drove car across town on freeway at 70+ mph no problems, noises, etc... then it started running a little hot so I shut it down and had it towed home. After it had completely cooled at home I discover radiator neck was cracked and water pump was leaking slightly. I filled back up with coolant and cranked let it run for a few minutes no noises or anything, still ran well. Deciced to let it sit and fix later. Well about year later(June '09) put in a new battery and it cranks right up and runs well but has a nocking sound in the engine. Anybody have any ideas what could have happened just letting it sit there. This is a really nice car still and hate to scrap it due to the engine. Someone told me it could have deposits on the pistons from sitting in the grass that can be taken care of by running some H2o through the engine, but sound a little far fetched to me. Hate to scrap this car still drives well, everything works, and the A/C still blows cold.

Wish there was a way to attach a sound clip here. My first guess would be bad gas causing problems. Then tapit noise. Is it a lower end noise like a rod knock? Or a weird clicking taping knock? All the time noise or only when revved up?

Wish there was a way to attach a sound clip here. My first guess would be bad gas causing problems. Then tapit noise. Is it a lower end noise like a rod knock? Or a weird clicking taping knock? All the time noise or only when revved up?

Sounds like a bottom end knock, gets louder as you rev it up. I just don't understand how it could sound fine when we parked it and the have this noise in it after sitting. I have let my race cars and hot rods sit far longer at times than this car with no problems.

Have you checked the condition of you oil? Is the oil pressure good? Does the volume or pitch of the noise change as the engine warms up? How does it idle?

It doesn't seem to change as it warms up, although I honestly can't say that I have let it run long enough to get really warm. It does have a miss in it prob needs a set of plugs.

Whatever you do, God forbid you should put water in your engine. It will hydrolock and be ruined. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If the engine runs you can use a stethoscope or listening tube to locate the noise approximately. I would suspect the waterpump got worse and is affecting the timing belt operation. This happened to the previous owner of my ES300 and it was fixed (for a price) without any apparent consequences in 30K additional miles of driving.