98 Gs300 Won't Start Randomly

I noticed just a slight delay when starting my 98 GS300, so I asked tire shop to check my batttery when they mounted my Blizzaks, they said battery was shot, so replaced with AC/Delco. I wasn't driving it much but a week later, the car doesn't start, just clicks. Jumped it, return to Tire Shop, they replaced with new one. It starts fine 4 or 5 times, just to move for snow removal, after ten days or so, then drive around the block, warm it up and shortly later, no start again, just clicks. Jump it fine and it started okay the next day....any ideas. Does this sound like alternator problem....I know nothing about mechanics, I'll take it to different mechanic, but just wanted to know your thoughts, thanks.

I noticed just a slight delay when starting my 98 GS300, so I asked tire shop to check my batttery when they mounted my Blizzaks, they said battery was shot, so replaced with AC/Delco. I wasn't driving it much but a week later, the car doesn't start, just clicks. Jumped it, return to Tire Shop, they replaced with new one. It starts fine 4 or 5 times, just to move for snow removal, after ten days or so, then drive around the block, warm it up and shortly later, no start again, just clicks. Jump it fine and it started okay the next day....any ideas. Does this sound like alternator problem....I know nothing about mechanics, I'll take it to different mechanic, but just wanted to know your thoughts, thanks.

Sounds to me like you're not driving the car enough to recharge the batt. If you're not intending to drive the car much in the winter, use a trickle charger with an auto shutt off once a week and you should be fine.

What is the mileage on your 98 GS300 ? I'm thinking that the alternator is getting tired,130,000 miles plus and the brushes will be reaching their life. You may have a draw or short that is pulling the battery down. Ether way a mechanic can tell you . They should have checked that out when they replaced the battery . Sounds funny that a new battery only lasted a week .

• 2 months later...

I am having the same problem. Did you get your problem fix and what was the problem? Thanks in advance. My email is horam452@live.com

Hello. I'm brand new to this board. Just bought a '98 GS300 from a friend.

I had a random "won't start" issue as well. Last weekend, I dropped a new battery in it, and also replaced the ignition relay (about $6.99). Still would start sometimes, but other times not.

My friend is a mechanic. He and I went to his shop and did an electric and ignition check on it. Everything was fine - except what he suspected, was the solenoid in the starter had worn out. Sure enough - 15 minutes to drop the starter, another 15 minutes to open the solenoid and replace the brass contacts, and another 15 minutes to reinstall. Starts every time now.

Now, what I am noticing on mine, is that it has to turn over for like 2-3 seconds before it starts. Any ideas why it takes so long to turn over?

Thanks!

Hello. I'm brand new to this board. Just bought a '98 GS300 from a friend.

I had a random "won't start" issue as well. Last weekend, I dropped a new battery in it, and also replaced the ignition relay (about $6.99). Still would start sometimes, but other times not.

My friend is a mechanic. He and I went to his shop and did an electric and ignition check on it. Everything was fine - except what he suspected, was the solenoid in the starter had worn out. Sure enough - 15 minutes to drop the starter, another 15 minutes to open the solenoid and replace the brass contacts, and another 15 minutes to reinstall. Starts every time now.

Now, what I am noticing on mine, is that it has to turn over for like 2-3 seconds before it starts. Any ideas why it takes so long to turn over?

Thanks!

I had a similar issue with my 99 GS300. I would hear the solenoid firing every time I turned the key to start but it would take 5-10 tries for the starter to actually turn. When it did turn over the car started immediately. I replaced the starter and now it cranks for 2-3 seconds before it fires up. Does start every time now though.