Trailer Towing

Harley Rider

The travel trailer we are considering weighs 6,000 lbs empty - probably near 7,000 lbs with clothes, stocked kitchen, water, propane, awning, etc. Our '05 GX handles 6,500 lbs of car/tandem trailer combination without breaking a sweat (without a weight distributing hitch), but we are a little concerned with a high profile trailer that is 500 lbs over recommended gross, even with a weight distributing hitch. Anyone have any experience with high profile over-gross towing?

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer towing isn't just about hitch loading, hitch class, and trailer gross weight. Remember, even though the GX470 is rated at 6500 lbs towing, its curb weight is only about 4900 lbs, and it's rated for 1200 lbs cargo + passengers. Pulling 7000 lbs with a vehicle weight of about 5100 lbs (vehicle + driver) seems to put about 60% of the kinetic energy behind you. Stopping (even with a trailer braking system) and control are major factors to consider (I've seen an overweight trailer flip a minivan on its side). Even if you're an experienced trailer tower, you need to use extra caution. Forget about cruising down the interstate at 70 MPH with this 12000 lb rig. I have a 1200 lb cargo trailer rated for 2000 lbs (3200 lbs total). I'm comfortable at 65 MPH when there's no traffic on the highway, but usually drive 50-55 MPH otherwise. If I intended to haul 7000 lbs, I'd be thinking about an F250 diesel dually.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I either have to downsize my travel trailer ideas, or trade the GX on a Sequoia, which I'd hate to do (can't see spending more than 80K on the LX). I really like my GX AND my dealer. It just seems strange that a 4wd Explorer with a 4.6 V-8 is rated at 7,130 lbs, yet the GX is only rated at 6,500.

Another consideration is your insurance (on both the car and trailer). If you have an accident and the investigation turns up that your trailer exceeded the vehicle rating, your insurance company might find cause not to pay your claim. Bad enough if only you suffer the loss, but if another vehicle is involved, you could be confronted with enormous financial and legal consequences. Better to play by the rules. Can't explain why the Explorer has a slightly higher towing capacity, but even with it, you'd be close to its maximum rating. Living in Colorado, I can tell you there's nothing more maddening than being on a 2-lane mountain highway behind a big-!Removed! RV being towed by an under-powered vehicle (even big V8's lose punch at 10,000 feet), and I never want to be in front of one of these rigs on the downhill side.

• 1 year later...

More very good points that I hadn't considered. Thanks for the feedback. As much as I hate to part with my GX, a Sequoia is looking more attractive.

I have both the GX and the Sequoia and unless you're going to get the NEW toyota sequoia you're going to have a vehicle rated to tow less than the GX however with that said, I have towed the exact same rig (23'boat, trailer (obviously) and gear) with both my sequoia and GX and while the sequoia is rated about 500 lbs LESS than the GX I feel the GX doesn't have the overall secure feeling offered by the toyota....for what it's worth. I just returned from a tow of over 1000 miles (still crying over the gas mpg but it was a blast to have the boat on the icy clean waters of Northern MN) and can safely say that the toyota felt like it matched the weight of my rig better EVEN with toy/Lexus ratings the way they are. I run about 6,000lbs on the rig but will verify some time at the local scales...

• 12 years later...

Hi, im new here.. i would like to ask if  it is possible that i could pull a 27’ footer boat. @ 6,150 lbs + trailer on my GX 470 which is rated at 6500. Ive been pulling my camper @ 5900 lbs easy.. any thoughts before i dive in to buying the boat . Thank you..