Rx400h Front Passenger Child Seat And Airbag

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I have just bought a rx400h 2007, it's lovely but I have 2 questions?

1), I want to put a child seat in the fron, but can't find an option to switch off the front passesnger airbag, any idea?, I could do it in my IS250, have no idea why I can't find it in the RX400h?

2) When you take the key out, should the steering column lock?, ie you should not be able to move it left or right, as when I take my key out I can still move the wheels??

Thanks

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me, I have just bought a rx400h 2007, it's lovely but I have 2 questions?

1), I want to put a child seat in the fron, but can't find an option to switch off the front passesnger airbag, any idea?, I could do it in my IS250, have no idea why I can't find it in the RX400h?

2) When you take the key out, should the steering column lock?, ie you should not be able to move it left or right, as when I take my key out I can still move the wheels??

Thanks

Given that your in the UK, the spec may be a bit different but on this side of the pond, the wheel definitely locks and there's a switch to disable the passenger airbag. Here's a link to a US 2007 RX400h for sale, the spec's note the ability to turn off the airbag via a switch...

2007 RX400h for sale w/spec's

There's no off switch in my 2006, however, I believe the system is weight sensitive (I'll go have a peek in my owner's manual when I get out of bed - modern technology, laptop and wireless) and the airbag will not be active if the passenger is below a certain weight - (I think - or maybe I'm remembering my Odyssey which did it for sure).

Anyhow, that being said, you do know that the 'experts' and 'studies' have shown that the safest place for kids below 12 is in the back seat, no?

There's no off switch in my 2006, however, I believe the system is weight sensitive (I'll go have a peek in my owner's manual when I get out of bed - modern technology, laptop and wireless) and the airbag will not be active if the passenger is below a certain weight - (I think - or maybe I'm remembering my Odyssey which did it for sure).

Like Lemon said, it's a weight triggered system at least in the States; I haven't seen a manual override, which would be a nice feature for added peace of mind. I too have the '07 400h, and also have a child seat. Although we use a seat with the latch system in the back only, I was assured that the front would work in a pinch. You can certainly see the light for the passenger airbag going on and off depending on whether there is a passenger there, and when my puppy in her carrier has ridden shot-gun, she is light enough not to engage the air bag system

I believe you are correct in that there is a sensor that energizes the airbag only if a certain weight is exceeded. Most experts recommend that a child below that weight be secured in the back seat. My Corvette has a switch (in the glove box) that will turn off the passenger side air bag, but this car is a 2001. At some time after that year, weight sensors became the norm.

In most states what you are trying to do is illegal, kids below 12 belong in the back unless there is no back.

Anyways your kinds are just much safer in the back, the front seats aren't designed for carseats. Leave them in the back.