1994 Ls 400 Electrical Issues

Larry W

My wife was driving our 1994 LS 400 the other night and all of the instrument lights went out. The indicator markers were brightly lit, but the gauges were out. The rear right window does not operate now from the door itself or from the drivers control panel. The a/c is also not cold (all of a sudden). The car was absolutely perfect up until yesterday. The dash lights did come back on after she stopped and restarted the car minutes later. Could be a coincidence with the a/c, but I am open to suggestions. Any clues to this condition? You guys have been great in the past with your problem solving.

Ok here's another challenge...wife got into the car this morning and the A/C is now OK!?? What the heck? Dash lights are OK now also. Any suggestions??

Merry Post Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone reading this post.

Ok here's another challenge...wife got into the car this morning and the A/C is now OK!?? What the heck? Dash lights are OK now also. Any suggestions??

Merry Post Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone reading this post.

Larry,

Your problem could be with the trunk wiring harness. In the 1st gen vehicles it's a common problem that causes a lot of weird things to happen like your seeing.

Here's a link to give you a little info on it. If you do a search for "trunk wiring harness" you'll find additional info.

Trunk Wiring Harness

My wife was driving our 1994 LS 400 the other night and all of the instrument lights went out. The indicator markers were brightly lit, but the gauges were out. The rear right window does not operate now from the door itself or from the drivers control panel. The a/c is also not cold (all of a sudden). The car was absolutely perfect up until yesterday. The dash lights did come back on after she stopped and restarted the car minutes later. Could be a coincidence with the a/c, but I am open to suggestions. Any clues to this condition? You guys have been great in the past with your problem solving.

OK my wife came home and said the a/c was NOT working. I guess with the temperature in the low 60's this morning she thought it was working. I will check the trunk wiring on the left hinge tomorrow after work. I'm taking the car to a mechanic for the a/c in the morning.

Please don't tell me it is in the low 60's in Ft.Lauderdale it is around 30 in the UK at the moment.lol

It's 4 years since I was sat in the room at the Yankee Clipper overlooking the beach, popping off to Chucks Steakhouse and taking the water taxi to Las Olas, not to mention the cheap cruises!

Please don't tell me it is in the low 60's in Ft.Lauderdale it is around 30 in the UK at the moment.lol

It's 4 years since I was sat in the room at the Yankee Clipper overlooking the beach, popping off to Chucks Steakhouse and taking the water taxi to Las Olas, not to mention the cheap cruises!

Yes it was in the 60's and then the temperature got into the low 70's. Cold front is moving in and the weather is dropping down to the 50's...brrrr. Even in the 50's I will still be in shorts and a T-shirt enjoying the sunshine. By the way my car's A/C was fixed earlier today. Just needed a little freon. Mechanic said he could not find the leak so he installed some red dye and we'll keep an eye on it for any leakage (back to ICE COLD AIR again!) Didn't have time today before the night rolled in (6 PM) to unravel the wiring harness by the trunk to check for a pinched wire (dash light issues). Seems it only happens when my wife drives the car.

Yesterday was the coldest day of the year at a balmy 47 degrees. I guess it could be worse. My daughter is in Conn. and the wind chill at 10 AM yesterday was 2 degrees!! Yesterday I noticed after driving a few blocks that the dash board lights and indicator needles were flickering on and off until they finally went off after 3 miles of driving. I parked the car (in the sun) for about 2 hours and when I started up the car everything was OK for the rest of the day. Is this possibly a circuit board issue (in dash) or perhaps the elusive trunk wiring harness? Has anyone else experienced this similar problem? I was just telling my wife the other day how little we spent on the Lexus in the past year for maintenance ($310) and that included (3) oil changes, new hood supports, 2 tail light bulbs, new Diehard Battery ($145.00), A/C recharge (we won't have the discussion about premium fuel costs vs regular fuel here in Florida). I really would appreciate some assistance with some tech support. With 99,000 miles on the odometer, I would like to continue with many more miles of maintenance free driving. Your help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Yesterday was the coldest day of the year at a balmy 47 degrees. I guess it could be worse. My daughter is in Conn. and the wind chill at 10 AM yesterday was 2 degrees!! Yesterday I noticed after driving a few blocks that the dash board lights and indicator needles were flickering on and off until they finally went off after 3 miles of driving. I parked the car (in the sun) for about 2 hours and when I started up the car everything was OK for the rest of the day. Is this possibly a circuit board issue (in dash) or perhaps the elusive trunk wiring harness? Has anyone else experienced this similar problem? I was just telling my wife the other day how little we spent on the Lexus in the past year for maintenance ($310) and that included (3) oil changes, new hood supports, 2 tail light bulbs, new Diehard Battery ($145.00), A/C recharge (we won't have the discussion about premium fuel costs vs regular fuel here in Florida). I really would appreciate some assistance with some tech support. With 99,000 miles on the odometer, I would like to continue with many more miles of maintenance free driving. Your help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Seriously look into the trunk hinge wiring harness fix, You will be amazed when everything works as it should. Seriously ;)