Valve Adjustment Needed For Vvti?

Guys,

I am hearing the clicking/ticking noise when the car climbs uphill at 5-15 mph. The noise goes away above 20 mph. I am guessing the valves are out of spec. I kept thinking all these years that valve adjustments are not needed for the VVTi engines. 180K miles, 99 ES300 VVTi engine.

Please provide your recommendations.

Thank you. Happy Holidays!!!

Try using a high octane fuel. The fact that you're hearing this noise going uphill, under load, and than goes away, sounds more like pre-ignition rather than a valve adjustment. Also, an engine with that much mileage most likely has a carbon buildup. A well equipped shop should have machinery to decarbonize the engine. Good luck.

Try using a high octane fuel. The fact that you're hearing this noise going uphill, under load, and than goes away, sounds more like pre-ignition rather than a valve adjustment. Also, an engine with that much mileage most likely has a carbon buildup. A well equipped shop should have machinery to decarbonize the engine. Good luck.

Thanks guys!

I have been using Unlead 91 and engine recently flushed w/Seafoam. Still no helps.

The engine is very clean. 6 months ago I replaced the valve cover gaskets and no gelling.

Some suggested go back to 87 and see if too much octane is the problem.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks

Thanks guys!

I have been using Unlead 91 and engine recently flushed w/Seafoam. Still no helps.

The engine is very clean. 6 months ago I replaced the valve cover gaskets and no gelling.

Some suggested go back to 87 and see if too much octane is the problem.

Any other suggestions???

Thanks

Is the 91 octane all from the same station? I'd try another gas station with premium as well, since sometimes there's a bad batch of gas.