Converted 2001 Oem Dvd Nav To Watch Tv

trpl7

Just in case anyone is curious or wants to do the same, I just installed a TV Tuner in my 01 RX300 Silversport to play off the Nav screen. I purchased my tuner for $525 and did the install at home. This particular kit didn't require any wire splicing to/from the navigation system which made things easier. I haven't installed a dvd player yet, but am able to watch local tv.

Hi Huron,

The installation was fairly easy, the hardest part was the removal of panels to conceil the wires. I practically had my whole dashboard out (not as hard as it sounds). Everything snapped back together easily. The RX300 navigation system is in the trunk below with the spare tire and on the right side of the jack. I purchased my tuner from avelectronic.com (I recommend shopping around). My only issue with this system is the cord that goes from the tuner to the nav and nav plug is not very long so where you mount the tuner is limited to about 18 inches. I put mine in the tool tray next to the spare tire to keep it conceiled. I also have mine wired around the "need to be in park to watch" mode by properly grounding the "Parking Brake" wire from the tv tuner. Please feel free to ask any questions when you decide to do yours. :cheers:

trpl7

Hi Huron,

For my particular setup, I didn't have to fool the nav, just the tv tuner which now controlled the video output to the existing Nav Screen. Power wise, the tuner came with a positive, negative and parking break wire. The positive goes to the battery and the negative to a bolt on the chassis as usual. Instead of connecting the parking brake wire to the parking brake, I just grounded it (same place as negative was done). IMHO, there's two things to be careful about by doing this,

1. The tuner is turned on/off by the remote control, so one could leave it on after turning off the car and drain the battery (though you'd notice cause the screen would still be on). Possible workaround, hook the "Parking Brake" wire to the power antenna negative (which is right there on the right side) so the tuner is getting 'juice' only when the radio is on (need the radio for the tuner audio anyway).

2. Never heard of anyone getting pulled over for this, but it is illegal to have a tv viewable by the driver. Then again so is speeding... :ph34r:

Addition to bullet #1 above, I'm still learning the features on the tuner, found out there is a auto-off feature which might help. Though I'm not sure how/when this would take effect, but will keep you posted as I learn more. Will try to post a pic later this evening of the nav screen showing tv (it will look better at night).

trpl7