1998 Gs300 Engine Question- Any Ideas?

Hello,

I have a 1998 GS 300. within the past week it has started running a little rough at statrtup when it is cold but went away after a few minutes.

Today, after it was warm, it started missing badly on acceleration and also poping/backfiring from the engine; at the front of the car, not at the back from the exhaust. Sort of like what might happen with a cracked distributor on an older model car. it idles fine and seems to run well as long as O dont give it much acceleration.

there is no check engine light on. I took it to advanced auto and got a code read which showed no codes. we tried to replicate it by advancing the throttle while parked and it seemed to run perfect. Once I left and the car was under load again, it did the same thing; missing and popping from the engine.

Does anyone have any thoughts where to start?

thank you very much for any ideas or suggestions anyone may have.

Jody.

Hello,

I have a 1998 GS 300. within the past week it has started running a little rough at statrtup when it is cold but went away after a few minutes.

Today, after it was warm, it started missing badly on acceleration and also poping/backfiring from the engine; at the front of the car, not at the back from the exhaust. Sort of like what might happen with a cracked distributor on an older model car. it idles fine and seems to run well as long as O dont give it much acceleration.

there is no check engine light on. I took it to advanced auto and got a code read which showed no codes. we tried to replicate it by advancing the throttle while parked and it seemed to run perfect. Once I left and the car was under load again, it did the same thing; missing and popping from the engine.

Does anyone have any thoughts where to start?

thank you very much for any ideas or suggestions anyone may have.

Jody.

Hey !!! I thought I was fish jk :lol::lol::lol: Could be an injector, Plug, Coil pack, Plug wires or even a bad ground from the battery to the frame. Any recent maintenance done ? Try reseting the ECU first of all. Remove the neg. battery terminal , Have a beer :cheers: and replace. Keep us up to date on the outcome. Very difficult to diagnose over the web....

thanks for the replies DCfish (my long lost brutha :) ) and Bob. I will try the gas and resetting the ECU and the beer. I will let you guys know as soon as I do, and will probably throw in some injector cleaner on the next tank.

thanks again,

fish