Blower Motor

grand lexus

My 2000 ES 300' blower motor suddenly started making a lot of noise when set at high speed. In fact, I notice now that it makes noise at most of the speeds but not nearly to the degree as when running at full blast. As mentioned, this came on rather suddenly. Bearings? Or? Is the blower motor difficult to get to?

Two things can make the noise. Frequently, debris such as maple keys, etc. get past the air intake vents and get lodged in the squirrel cage of the fan. The noise will sound much like the cardboard you put on your bicycle spokes as a kid. If you have a high pitched squeal, then its usually the motor bearings or bushings. Sometimes they can be relubed, but its generally wiser to replace the motor to save having to tear everything apart again in the future. You might consider a used one. Test it on a 12 volt source before you put it into the car to make sure it doesn't make any noise on spin up.

Its awkward to get to up under the glove box, but it can be done with patience. Good Luck!

Do you see anything in the passenger side footwell that looks like the part in the attached diagram for a 2000 ES300 that has the highlighted number under it? I've never removed a blower motor but a repair shop did in my previous LS400 for very little so it must have been easy in that car -- some debris in the squirrel cage fan was causing noise.

post-2157-1261442262_thumb.png

You need to remove the glove box in order to get a clear view of the motor. Takes 10 minutes to remove the glove box.

1. open glove box and remove the 3 screw at the top edge

2. remove the black plastic board direction under the glove box from the passenger foot area( place your head under the glove box and look up). You just need to pull it down.

3. another 2 or 3 screws at the bottom edge of the glove box. you will see those screws w/the box closed.

4. right directly under the glove box and to your right, there is a carpet/plastic cover at the wall. pull that out.

5. gently pull back the door area plastic trimming next to that carpet/plastic cover. no need to remove, just pull back to see the 10 or 12 mm bolt. remove that bolt.

6. gently ply the glove box at the top edge from the inside and lift the glove box out.

7. now you see the motor w/3 screws bolted to it.

Thanks. I will take a look at it. It does not have a squeaking sound (like bearings gone bad) and not quite a "card in spokes" sound, but it is closer to the latter.

You need to remove the glove box in order to get a clear view of the motor. Takes 10 minutes to remove the glove box.

2. remove the black plastic board direction under the glove box from the passenger foot area( place your head under the glove box and look up). You just need to pull it down.

3. another 2 or 3 screws at the bottom edge of the glove box. you will see those screws w/the box closed.

4. right directly under the glove box and to your right, there is a carpet/plastic cover at the wall. pull that out.

5. gently pull back the door area plastic trimming next to that carpet/plastic cover. no need to remove, just pull back to see the 10 or 12 mm bolt. remove that bolt.

6. gently ply the glove box at the top edge from the inside and lift the glove box out.

• 3 weeks later...

took out glove box......could not find blower motor.....help thanks

removed the glove box.........could not find blower motor .....help ...thanks

Those instructions are for an ES -- not an RX. The blower fan motor in a 2000 RX300 can be seen in the attached diagram ... or do you also have an ES that is not shown in your profile?

post-2157-1263318735_thumb.png

Those instructions are for an ES -- not an RX. The blower fan motor in a 2000 RX300 can be seen in the attached diagram ... or do you also have an ES that is not shown in your profile?

The blower motor is in my 97 ES is the one that went bad...looking for that motor thank you

The blower motor is in my 97 ES is the one that went bad...looking for that motor thank you

I don't know what to tell you. According to the diagrams for your ES and my LS, their blower motors are in approximately the same location. I can just barely see the housing the blower motor on my LS fits into by opening my glove compartment and removing the part of the rear glove compartment that covers where the cabin filter goes. Maybe you have to lay on your back on the floor and look upward -- I assume you have removed the trim panel under the dash.

There is a relay for the blower in the engine compartment fuse box -- the diagram I'm looking at shows that it is the relay nearest the firewall .... probably described on the fuse box lid. There are other components directly associated with the blower motor -- resister, controller. Look up your car on http://www.toyodiy.com and search for "blower" to see a list.

I don't know what to tell you. According to the diagrams for your ES and my LS, their blower motors are in approximately the same location. I can just barely see the housing the blower motor on my LS fits into by opening my glove compartment and removing the part of the rear glove compartment that covers where the cabin filter goes. Maybe you have to lay on your back on the floor and look upward -- I assume you have removed the trim panel under the dash.

There is a relay for the blower in the engine compartment fuse box -- the diagram I'm looking at shows that it is the relay nearest the firewall .... probably described on the fuse box lid. There are other components directly associated with the blower motor -- resister, controller. Look up your car on http://www.toyodiy.com and search for "blower" to see a list.

I took off the bottom panel and there it was.....thanks to your pictures of the RX they are the same ...thank you so much ... thank you so much .....Bob

thank you , it was exactly what you said. A relay that was stuck,,,,,freed it up everything worked,,,,sanded the points ,temp fix will get new relay Mon. thank you once again Bob

thank you , it was exactly what you said. A relay that was stuck,,,,,freed it up everything worked,,,,sanded the points ,temp fix will get new relay Mon. thank you once again Bob

Very nice! Glad you found itl. I think I may have given you the wrong location for the HVAC blower relay. Was it in the interior fuse block instead of in the engine compartment fuse block?

Very nice! Glad you found itl. I think I may have given you the wrong location for the HVAC blower relay. Was it in the interior fuse block instead of in the engine compartment fuse block?

The relay for the HVAC was in the engine compartment box. Exactly like you said .Thank you again.... BOB

• 3 years later...

2005 Lexus GS300

Issue: AC/HEATER Blower Fan Stopped Working

Indications:

1) Normal Display on Console

2) 12 Volt DC reading on red Fan lead to ground

3) No ground on black Fan lead

4) Grounded black lead on Fan - Operated in high setting only

Issue Resolution: Replaced Blower Control (Toyota Part# 87165-22050)

Replacement Steps:

1) Remove Glove Box - three upper screws and two lower bolts.

2) Disengage clips on top of glove box. Next, unsnap cover over fan motor.

3) Remove white AC vent on left side. One screw on lower section and unsnap vent.

4) Remove vertical bracket holding wiring harness.

5) Unplug four connectors and move out of way.

6) Against back wall on left side is Blower Controller.

7) Remove screw on controller and unplug two connectors.

8) Install blower controller.

9) Reverse installation process.

• 2 years later...

hello i am having some of the issues like you had and wanted to see if you can help me. my blower motor is not working and my doors wont lock my email address islsegree@gmail.com. cold someone please help me. i have a 98 gs 400. blower not working