"exhaust Booming At Idle"

dbs600

Thank you for the file Strong. Note that if you click the link I provided, that I have posted same as well as the file for the Toyota Land Cruiser. Best, JD.

I didn't realize, should've downloaded the attachments.

If you have this issue and are wondering if the Toyota / Lexus solution fixes the issue, it does. I've owned two 470's; my previous 2003 had the problem and it was loud and annoying. My local Lexus dealer installed the package and the problem went away.

Great! I wasn't too sure becuase I've read on this and other boards that the TSIB / TSB is NOT effective (or that it fixes the problem temporarily only for it to return). Good to hear that that may not be the case. How many miles did you have on your truck when the work was performed? And, was the work covered under warranty? Thanks!

Great! I wasn't too sure becuase I've read on this and other boards that the TSIB / TSB is NOT effective (or that it fixes the problem temporarily only for it to return). Good to hear that that may not be the case. How many miles did you have on your truck when the work was performed? And, was the work covered under warranty? Thanks!

I believe I had about 60K miles on the 2003. Terrible, annoying booming at idle while in-gear. The Lexus dealer installed the kit under-warranty (not sure if you can really call it warranty, probably customer service). It solved the problem. At about 90K miles it seemed to start happening again so I took it back in. The dealer told me they just needed to retighten the fasteners due to 30K miles of vibration. It was as good as it was when they first installed it when they finished. The noise problem was obviously solved as my 2006 model does not boom.

hmm... very helpful information. thank you for sharing! also, did you have an extended warranty on your '03 when the work was done? how about when it went in for tightening?

I can't recall for sure, but I believe I did not have an extended warranty. I thought there was a lifetime warranty on parts installed by Toyota or Lexus, like mufflers and so on? It may have been paid for by Toyota / Lexus under the TSB. I also purchased the vehicle from the dealer used. I have purchased six vehicles from them in the past few years, that may have had something to do with it. Have you thought of doing the work yourself?

Thank you again for this helpful information. I purchased the truck new in '04 and experienced numerous problems from the start. I saved all invoices and contacted corporate, which gave me a 7 year / 100k mile platinum extra care warranty. A service engine light, as well as a number of other issues (this one included), caused me bring the truck in to the dealer close to a month ago. About two weeks ago I was told it was ready to be picked up (all complaints fixed, supposedly), I test drove it upon arrival and the noise was still present! At this point I have not heard back from the dealer and I am attempting to gather as much information as possible on this issue. Thank you again and I wish you and yours a happy and healthy New Year ahead!

Thank you again for this helpful information. I purchased the truck new in '04 and experienced numerous problems from the start. I saved all invoices and contacted corporate, which gave me a 7 year / 100k mile platinum extra care warranty. A service engine light, as well as a number of other issues (this one included), caused me bring the truck in to the dealer close to a month ago. About two weeks ago I was told it was ready to be picked up (all complaints fixed, supposedly), I test drove it upon arrival and the noise was still present! At this point I have not heard back from the dealer and I am attempting to gather as much information as possible on this issue. Thank you again and I wish you and yours a happy and healthy New Year ahead!

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your Lexus. I've had several with great performance and reliability. But because it's a high-end vehicle, I too would expect it to work without the troubles your having.