Rx400h In Snow- Beware!

I think that's the biggest question... For myself, i don't think it would be worth installing winter tires and having to hear the extra road noise, just to "possibly" help the Rx400h get me up a hill the once or twice a year i have to drive in it :o

Even if i did have snow tires, it still wouldn't be eliminating the actual problem being that the car cuts power to the wheels if it detects any slippage...

There's gotta be a shortcut to solve the root of the problem rather than the symptoms...

It's not just ice on hills. Snow tires help in MANY other situations. Example: On the way to Glacier Int. Airport late at night to pick me up, a drunk crossed the ice covered highway. Had she not been equipped with the snow tires, she'd have killed the guy & smoked the entire front of the 400h ... not to mention the emotions of the experience ... as it was, she was still horribly shaken. The additional examples are endless. So use your own discretion ... as it turns on how much snow / ice you drive on.

as for other solutions ... did you read my prior post?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds just like the Prius. It actually is pretty good in the snow, but when you get stuck or stopped and you need to accelerate uphill the TRAC kicks in and it just sits there. Its actually better than the Lexus, in every area but getting started from a stop uphill...

I have heard some people saying that its because the TRAC is over-zealous to protect the hybrid system. Its certainly more proactive than on the Lexus.

Snow tires would definitely help, but like you I don't want to ride around on them all winter for just a couple snows.

Although a lot of modern snow tires ride pretty well and are pretty quiet, and since you already switch the wheels for the winter anyways it might be worth thinking about.

Sounds just like the Prius. It actually is pretty good in the snow, but when you get stuck or stopped and you need to accelerate uphill the TRAC kicks in and it just sits there. Its actually better than the Lexus, in every area but getting started from a stop uphill...

I have heard some people saying that its because the TRAC is over-zealous to protect the hybrid system. Its certainly more proactive than on the Lexus.

Snow tires would definitely help, but like you I don't want to ride around on them all winter for just a couple snows.

Although a lot of modern snow tires ride pretty well and are pretty quiet, and since you already switch the wheels for the winter anyways it might be worth thinking about.

Oooops. Answered the wrong post.

Well, since I'm here I might as well second what was said above. cduluk, you already have a second set of wheels (I remember you found some on ebay). Why not spend the money on some winter tires? You've spent a lot of money on cosmetic mods on your vehicle - a set of winter tires might actually be useful and could save your butt in snow and ice.

I guess for my next set of tires i can opt for more of "snow" tire- not a hardcore snow tire, just something a little more aggressive without sacrificing that Lexus-feel ride...

My winter tires are fairly new, i'd hate to replace them just yet. Maybe next year...

You'd spend hundreds of dollars on donor consoles and instrument clusters for your projects but won't spend some money on good tires to keep you safe on the winter roads? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I have had my 06 through multiple winters (still on stock tires) and it crawls through CO snow without any issue (powder, snowpack, slush, etc). Was actually fairly surprised reading this post and thought I should add the opinion of someone that has used it through multiple snow storms and snow seasons and never felt more than a slight slip on take off. Not sure if its just my driving, etc...but I love this car in the snow and look forward to it in the snow

edit: forgot to mention I also have a rear wheel only car and a 4x4 jeep...so Im aware of different types of snow performance.

I've always felt that way about the Prius. People on PriusChat talk about how awful they are in the snow because of the overzealous traction control, I just have never seen the issue even with allseason tires. If its snowing I actually drive the Prius instead of the Lexus...

I have had my 06 through multiple winters (still on stock tires) and it crawls through CO snow without any issue (powder, snowpack, slush, etc). Was actually fairly surprised reading this post and thought I should add the opinion of someone that has used it through multiple snow storms and snow seasons and never felt more than a slight slip on take off. Not sure if its just my driving, etc...but I love this car in the snow and look forward to it in the snow

edit: forgot to mention I also have a rear wheel only car and a 4x4 jeep...so Im aware of different types of snow performance.

Welcome. Excellent first post by the way.

Well it's been snowing here the past few days and i've had more experience with the 400h in snow.

Only new thing i've noticed is that the 400h doesn't STOP or TURN with even the smallest amount of snow on the ground.

Now THIS is a tire issue.

The oem Michelin tires have such tiny slits in them, that the snow just builds up in there, practically making the tires bald in snow.

The Bridgestone dueler alenza's i had on my old Rx300 didn't create this issue. <_<

Next winter i think i'll be investing in some Alenza's for my winter set.

i'll put these Michelin tires on my summer set (since my present summer set aren't the best either) and buy a new set of alenza's for the winter.

Seeing as the Alenza is an all season tire, and you've now apparently committed yourself to buying new tires, and you plan to use your old tires in the summer only, why wouldn't you by a dedicated WINTER tire instead?

Seeing as the Alenza is an all season tire, and you've now apparently committed yourself to buying new tires, and you plan to use your old tires in the summer only, why wouldn't you by a dedicated WINTER tire instead?

I don't wanna drive 7 months a year with loud tires just for a few snow days... I'll go for a "better" compromise but not a total sacrifice...

You've got me confused. Just checked a map. Rhode Island appears as though it would only experience cold temps from say...November to March. That's five months you'll be running a 'winter' tire. The rest of the year you run whatever you have on your wheels now, that you've discovered suck in the cold and snow.

I think maybe you need to do a little research (google 'winter tire test') and you'll discover that the advances in winter tire technology have been huge, even in the past five years, and certainly leap and bounds above the old 'snow' tire from even a decade ago. You can get a winter tire that's markedly better than ANY all season and still quiet. The Michelin Alpin series - Primacy Alpin (high performance V rated) and Pilot Alpin (H rated) are geared toward perfomance more than an ordinary winter tire, but still have decent performance in the snow/ice. However I think the Latitude Alpin and Alpin HP is designed for SUV/CUV with the proper load rating. It comes in H and V rated I think. Most winter tires are Q rated by the way. Other manufacturers have similar offerings.

Alternatively, you could buy one of the new 'all weather' tires which give you better winter capabilities than an all season, but can be left on all year without worrying about excessive wear and handling as you would get if you left a dedicated winter tire on in the hot weather. Research Nokian WGR2, Goodyear ForteraTriple Tred, Yokohama W drive and Continental ExtremeContact DWS. All these tires receive the mountain/snowflake symbol but can be used all year.

But whatever, it's your vehicle and your money. As I said, before you jump into the Alenzas (which I have heard good things about), you may want to dig a little deeper or even drop by a good tire shop and ask the staff about winter tires.

I just spent three days in Santa Fe, NM taking my son skiing at Ski Santa Fe. There was ice and snow on the road at the top of the mountain. I had no issues with my tires which only have 6,000 miles on them. They are Bridgestone Alenzes.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know if winter tires would have helped here, but these are some whacked out winter driving videos..

Those two videos were hysterical. Both situations were shear ice. Best AWD in the world and/or snow tires wouldn't have helped. Some of the cars shown were Audis and Range Rovers, they have excellent AWD systems with traction control.

oh my GOD!! The first video at 54 seconds - 1:15 is hilarious... it's moving sideways lol.

There must have been a good inch of ice under there... That towns autobody shops must have made out good :lol:

How much snow do you get cd? In an average year?

According to the internet lol... i get an average of 30.1" of snow a year.

Usually we'll get maybe 4 or 5 snowfalls of 2"-10" inches per storm, per winter. It doesn't start snowing until December, and it doesn't stop until March.

And i'm hardly ever "forced" to drive in the snow. If it's snowing out, i usually just take a day off from school. Heck, some days when it's raining i'll even take a day off. I'd be a terrible mailman...

That's why i really hesitate buying snow tires for the winter months when i really don't "need" them. If my job required me to drive in the snow it would be different. I just can't see having to listen to the loudness of snow tires just for maybe once or twice a year i need to get 5 miles across town in a little snow.

Again, as mentioned earlier, winter tires these days are useful in more than just snow. They remain flexible in colder temperatures enhancing traction and stability. Rule of thumb is anywhere below 7 celsius, all season rubber starts to harden, while winter rubber stays flexible. Also, as already mentions, there are many winter tires out there where you don't have to suffer a noise penalty. Only very aggressive winter tires (Nokian Hakkapellitta come to mind) will have very loud tread noise.

I'm still shaking my head wondering how you can spend so much money on interior (and exterior) cosmetic mods (most of which I like by the way..haha), but won't pony up some cash for something SAFETY related. Mind you, many many people make it though winter on all seasons only. I just think that the one time my vehicle stops shorter on winter tires than on all seasons or I don't slid into the ditch, they've just paid for themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

What do tires have anything at all to do with this topic? When you press the accelerator to the floor and it goes nowhere, tires or no tires..... I've had my 400H for a year now. Last night was our first snowstorm since then, and I got stuck going up a hill. Had to borrow my sisters Honda Pilot to get home. After the roads cleared the next day, I went to pick up my sorry excuse for an all wheel drive SUV. Boy I miss my RX300! The 400H was a downgrade for sure!