Coming From A 540i Bmw Is This A Much More Relieble And Modd-able Car?

I have a 540i currently and want to move on to a sc400 I found 2 in my area that bring interest one is a 1998 sc400 with 123000 mile only $4,000 then a 1992 sc400 with 120,000miles for 3000 obo if i get either where are the best places for performance parts body kits and such thanks the 540i is very limited and I really would like to see how the after market is again thanks for any input

I have a 540i currently and want to move on to a sc400 I found 2 in my area that bring interest one is a 1998 sc400 with 123000 mile only $4,000 then a 1992 sc400 with 120,000miles for 3000 obo if i get either where are the best places for performance parts body kits and such thanks the 540i is very limited and I really would like to see how the after market is again thanks for any input

Hi there,

I read your post. I don't know where you live, but I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I just happen to have for sale on craig's list and in the Albuquerque Classifieds my 1994 Sc400 with only 117k original miles on it... In answering your question, yes there are several mods that can be made, as I have done already with my Sc. I am listing my car for $6900.00 or best offer... The kelly blue book on the car in just "good" condition is $6700.00, but with the mods I've already made, the value is far greater.

If your are interested, I think that you should definately check out my ride at Craig's list, New Mexico, Albuquerque, under cars and trucks. If you can't find it there, try a google search under Albuquerque Journal Classified Ads, under auto ads. My car is not only a Beast, it is a beauty as well. I am waiting for someone, somewhere to make me a fair offer...

The best thing to do is to call me asap. You can also notify me by e-mail if you have any questions. In conclution, yes, these cars are absolutely incredible when modified. Mine has already been Well taken care of... Check out my ad, and if interested, call me and make me a serious offer...

Thanks,

Tom

tom751@hotmail.com

505-933-6710

Welcome to the club! :cheers:

Having owned a 5 series, I can tell you the comparison in quality of parts with Lexus is day & night. My bimmer switches and interior trim pieces could have come from a vw they were such a poor quality. Just try the door handle on an LS and you'll immediately feel the difference. Loved my bimmer, especially the sweet 6 cyl, but will likely not buy another. Lots of modded SC's everywhere. Here's a link to one interesting mod done by a female:

http://rides.importtuner.com/ride/1003507/...c400/index.html

The thing is I where I work I happen to work with the kind of people who likes sportcars.

And they all hate Lexus and Toyota.

The Sc 400 does indeed look a little like a fast sportcars but it's still a slow car.

If you come from a BMW you'll find that this car willbe very slow in performance.

Bmw are more sporty then luxury.

Lexus is more luxury and less sporty it's more for people like me who's almost in their 40's

If you want a car you can mod Lexus is gonna be to expesive cause why buy n expensive car if you're gonna od it anyway?

it's better to check out Honda and Acura or Subaru they are all performance cars.

Vw's are good for modding too you can check out the Vw passat cc or the older ones like sciroco and cars like that or if you wan't luxury you can go with Audi.

But an Sc is more like a classic 90's car then a sportcars it's more like a car to cruise in.

I have mine as a famiy car it's a 2 door but it's still a good family car and i's reliable it's almostas reliabe as a Cadillac.

It's not sportcar fast but fast enough for me I kind of have a heavy foot but I don't do doughnuts or burnouts or anything like that.

Maybe this coming year I'm gonna get like a Chevy Malibu and give the Lexus a rest because it has one a lot for us this year.

But I'll keep it till the engine dies and then I'll see what I'll do with it

I ask because reliability is my biggest concern I'm in Minnesota so snow happen and I'm used to rear heel drive 8-v's this would be my 3rd. I want to know where the best places source or find performance suspension and engine parts. I really like the body style performance isnt the biggest thing to me, I want a nice car that will last me without nickel and dimming me to death like my bmw is starting too. I found 2 with about 120000 miles for about $3000-$6000 what concerns should i have or things I need to look for when i purchase the vehicle? Does this sound like this the car I'm looking for?

thanks everyone for the info thus far

For reliabilty go with Cadillac.

Or cars like the Mercury grand Marquis,Ford Crown Victoria these are really durable cars and are rear wheel drive too.

Then there are cars that are really good for driving in this kind of weather like Ford F150's Ford Explorer Expedition and don't forget the LINCOLN NAVIGATOR.

Foreign cars with that kind of mileage are gonna give you a lot of trouble scroll up and you're gonna find a thread with an Sc 300 that lost a tranny and an engine at 144k miles.

They say that they go till 300k but that's not true I work at Vw and for Vw they say the same thing.

That Vw is known for their reliability but they don't go past 150k without having mayor work done to them.

The only cars in the world that can go over 200k without a lot of work are the ones that I mentioned above and some other American cars but you know in my opinion I think it's best to just keep your BMW.

Because I mean if you can't buy the suspension parts you want that's not a reason to get rid of the car.

All cars have their problems I would say keep the Bmw and live with it as it is right now.

Foreign cars with that kind of mileage are gonna give you a lot of trouble scroll up and you're gonna find a thread with an Sc 300 that lost a tranny and an engine at 144k miles.

They say that they go till 300k but that's not true I work at Vw and for Vw they say the same thing.

That Vw is known for their reliability but they don't go past 150k without having mayor work done to them.

The only cars in the world that can go over 200k without a lot of work are the ones that I mentioned above and some other American cars

most imports last longer and are far better in quality. i have always had nissans and toyotas/lexus. right now i have a 95 SC400 with the auto tranny all origanal regular mantience only. 210K miles the motor had to be replaced at 110K bc the people at jiffy lube left the plug out durring a oil change but thats the only major thing thats been done

post-98788-1262141348_thumb.jpg

The thing is I where I work I happen to work with the kind of people who likes sportcars.

The Sc 400 does indeed look a little like a fast sportcars but it's still a slow car.

If you come from a BMW you'll find that this car willbe very slow in performance.

Lexus is more luxury and less sporty it's more for people like me who's almost in their 40's

If you want a car you can mod Lexus is gonna be to expesive cause why buy n expensive car if you're gonna od it anyway?

it's better to check out Honda and Acura or Subaru they are all performance cars.

Vw's are good for modding too you can check out the Vw passat cc or the older ones like sciroco and cars like that or if you wan't luxury you can go with Audi.

But an Sc is more like a classic 90's car then a sportcars it's more like a car to cruise in.

I have mine as a famiy car it's a 2 door but it's still a good family car and i's reliable it's almostas reliabe as a Cadillac.

It's not sportcar fast but fast enough for me I kind of have a heavy foot but I don't do doughnuts or burnouts or anything like that.

Maybe this coming year I'm gonna get like a Chevy Malibu and give the Lexus a rest because it has one a lot for us this year.

are you kidding me???

Honda more of a performance car??? SUBARU more of a performance car?? Lexus almost as reliable as a Cadillac????

I don't know which comment makes less sense... :o

Or cars like the Mercury grand Marquis,Ford Crown Victoria these are really durable cars and are rear wheel drive too.

Then there are cars that are really good for driving in this kind of weather like Ford F150's Ford Explorer Expedition and don't forget the LINCOLN NAVIGATOR.

The only cars in the world that can go over 200k without a lot of work are the ones that I mentioned above and some other American cars but you know in my opinion I think it's best to just keep your BMW.

Because I mean if you can't buy the suspension parts you want that's not a reason to get rid of the car.

All cars have their problems I would say keep the Bmw and live with it as it is right now.

Oh my GOD i missed this post too... :lol:

Mercury as a more reliable car than Lexus??? FORD!!??? Ford Explorer good in the snow??!! NAVIGATOR??? lol These are FAR from the best snow-handling SUV's out there... Maybe Subaru here...?

The only foreign cars out there that can go over 200k miles are AMERICAN cars like FORDS!!!???? Are you for real? lol

are you kidding me???

Honda more of a performance car??? SUBARU more of a performance car?? Lexus almost as reliable as a Cadillac????

I couldn't agree with you more. I think this guy has lost all credibility and some of those comments make me think he needs to get off the dope. If you want reliability Lexus will deliver. Take care of a jap or most german cars and they will last longer than nearly any cadillac or gm product. Nearly every blue oval car I've seen has ben a total POS. They can do trucks pretty well but othar then the crown vic all their cars are junk.

are you kidding me???

Oh my GOD i missed this post too... :lol:

Mercury as a more reliable car than Lexus??? FORD!!??? Ford Explorer good in the snow??!! NAVIGATOR??? lol These are FAR from the best snow-handling SUV's out there... Maybe Subaru here...?

The only foreign cars out there that can go over 200k miles are AMERICAN cars like FORDS!!!???? Are you for real? lol

I couldn't agree with you more. I think this guy has lost all credibility and some of those comments make me think he needs to get off the dope.

Me thinks Danny's been listening to "Bent Brakes" Betty again (that boy should really find some new playmates) :chairshot: :

WomenTires.jpg

No the thing is if you want a car that handles well in the snow Buy an Suv.

I gave him a list of the most reliable and durable Suvs out there but I don't know if they all handle well in the snow but they'll surely handle way better then an sc400.

Or u can try a four runner also.

We have one at work as a company car it gets abused all the time but it never stalls it drives everyday.

I drive it sometimes it has 224kmiles on it but its still reliable to keep up with all the work the dealership needs to do.

And yeah Lexus is almost as reliable as a Cadillac at least MINE is.

Because i know people with porshes and cars like that and they don't drive it daily because they're not reliable enough for everyday driving.

But my Sc gets driven everyday its my only car and it has 141k miles on it and it handles th daily driving very well.

THis car has NEVER stalled with me it's got some minor problems but even when I drive a lot it never gives me any trouble.

It's the best car I've ever owned so I'll say it's Almost as reliable as a Cadillac

But a Cadiilac is more reliable and Durable yeah I know my dad has a '69 El Dorado and it still in very good condition and drives very well.

No the thing is if you want a car that handles well in the snow Buy an Suv.

I gave him a list of the most reliable and durable Suvs out there but I don't know if they all handle well in the snow but they'll surely handle way better then an sc400.

Or u can try a four runner also.

We have one at work as a company car it gets abused all the time but it never stalls it drives everyday.

I drive it sometimes it has 224kmiles on it but its still reliable to keep up with all the work the dealership needs to do.

And yeah Lexus is almost as reliable as a Cadillac at least MINE is.

Because i know people with porshes and cars like that and they don't drive it daily because they're not reliable enough for everyday driving.

But my Sc gets driven everyday its my only car and it has 141k miles on it and it handles th daily driving very well.

THis car has NEVER stalled with me it's got some minor problems but even when I drive a lot it never gives me any trouble.

It's the best car I've ever owned so I'll say it's Almost as reliable as a Cadillac

But a Cadiilac is more reliable and Durable yeah I know my dad has a '69 El Dorado and it still in very good condition and drives very well.

lol buddy, i was laughing at those statements because you think a Lexus is almost as reliable as a Cadillac, but that you THINK A CADILLAC IS RELIABLE IN THE FIRST PLACE :lol:

Lexus is MUCH more reliable than Cadillac, seriously what planet is your info coming from...?? :rolleyes:

omg. im still stuck on FORD... really?.... a ford...... and why are you saying Cadillac is more reliable? what proof do you have? its all about personal reference, but your just plain wrong about that statement. i see Lexus everywhere i go, and i see 2-3 cadillacs a day. Lexus seems to be the better brand -.-

• 3 weeks later...

i realize this post is quite a bit later than the last posting, but i just have to comment...cadillacs are not that great..ive heard from many people, in different walks of life saying how the quality of cadillac is very poor. if someone is basing cadillac quality on a 69 model, i think most people here are referring to the vehicles made within the last 10 years, which is what counts since nobody lives in the past...

the sc300/400 are incredible cars. toyota spent 400 million on research and development for the sc line. my sc300 has over 180k miles, all original, and works great. hell, it was even in a flood, according to the title, but no problems. ive always had good experience for the most part with fords, and i had a nissan pathfinder that was as tough as nails...ive driven two toyota's and both died hard...likely wont go with toyota, but lexus is treatin me just fine. :)

I think "dannymcenrow" is one of those new people hired by GM to try and spread GM's new line propaganda around :rolleyes: . I wouldn't put it past GM, seeing as how they did those whole "May the best car win" ads. "May the best car win"? Seriously? GM, the sales figures are clearly showing which cars are winning, so please stop with the BS.

As for the "mole" aka "dannymcenrow" I think he is just grossly misinformed or he maybe really is ignorant enough to say that Cadillac is more reliable than Lexus, without considering that Lexus won the JD Power reliability awards for 15 CONSECUTIVE years and Cadillac not once!

I say yes, go with the SC400 you won't regret it!

Personally I am now in love with the 1UZFE engine. Mine is a 1998 version (w/ VVTi) and it has been nothing less than great. I have put 149,000 miles on it and I make sure to give it a flogging every now and then (actually more often than not); and not once has it ever complained. In 12 years it has just needed a timing belt, water pump, and plugs as regular maintenance and THATS IT.

From what I hear and read, a non-VVTi 1uzfe is even more reliable too, so if you plan on modding (i.e. Turbo/Suprecharger etc), I say go with the 2nd gen 1uzfe. From what I have read the 2nd gen 1UZ is nothing more than lighter internals and a slight rise in compression over the 1st gen 1UZ.

If you want to keep it naturally aspirated check out what this guy has done to a 1UZFE with VVTi:

He says he gets 407hp at 9300rpm out of a naturally aspirated 1UZFE which is awesome, oh and the SOUND is intoxicating to say the least :D .

the sc300/400 are incredible cars. toyota spent 400 million on research and development for the sc line. my sc300 has over 180k miles, all original, and works great. hell, it was even in a flood, according to the title, but no problems. ive always had good experience for the most part with fords, and i had a nissan pathfinder that was as tough as nails...ive driven two toyota's and both died hard...likely wont go with toyota, but lexus is treatin me just fine. :)

im quite pleased with my SC300 that i bought a few months ago. its got 262,000 miles on it has runs jus fine. and fyi toyota makes lexus man

• 2 weeks later...

Oh

The thing is when I give a comment I don't give exactly my comment I give the comment of the people at work because they know more about foreign cars then me anyway.

But the thing is I know more now I didn't know that Lexus can last as long as a CRown victoria I thought only Crown vics and Cadillac can go for this kind of Mileage.

So far I knew Cadillac is a very reliable luxury car that's why most people over 50 prefers it.

But I didn't know that Lexus can last that long too till I came on this Forum in the Ls forum there are people that has like 360 on the Odo.

But now I'm trying to find out what kind of transmission and engine are in the Sc400 so I can look for information so then I'll give out better information because I'll know more.

The thing is I was mostly an American cars fan so I know lots more about American then foreign cars and so far I knew Cadillac and GM was the best ford had the most lower quality engines but the explorer and expeditions have very good engines because they are Mazda based And crysler also like K cars have hard engines that goes for a lot of miles and some early 90's chrysler even had Mitsubishi engines in them that gave out better performance then even HOnda