Es 300 Dexron Or Toyota Atf To Flush/change Transmission

sk1951

I love this forum but it does get confusing. This is what "I" am going to do with my 96 es300 w/125k mi.

1. The manual says to "inspect" at 125k but says nothing else about oil transfusion or what to use.

2. The dip stick says to use Dex II and to check the rear end oil at the filler hole. However my understanding is that Dex III can be used in place of all before it. I am not sure when Dex II was superseded/discontinued but I thought it was before 96 as stated below. I am sure the stick is OEM and has all the jap lingo on it. I concluded that maybe the stick is older than 96 but then what did the factory really use? I assume it had to be Dex III. (Democratic disclaimer: No disrespect meant on the Jap statement.)

3. The forum seems avid against using Dexron. So I called the Dealer...Bell Road Lexus in Phoenix @ (602) 866-1474 and they told me...:

"Pre 1999- Dexron III ATF. 1999 to 2004- Toyota ATF. 2004+ World Standard ATF what ever that is...you new guys can fight it out. I asked about the synthetic and he said with older cars it would not really matter but suggested "no". I asked about using the Valvoline vv337 Dex/Merc Extended Life and he said it was a good product and a good replacement for the Dexron".

4. So...I want all the oil changed out... so I am doing the flush method irregardless of the damage threat (I'm such a rebel) and pulling/cleaning the pan/changing the internal screen filter. And I am using the Extended Life Valvoline. Because the Valvoline can be used and will mix with everything I feel safer useing it. It takes 9 qts plus one or 2 for the flush. If interested in the Valvoline I have posted more info on it...read on:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer...ission-fluid/37

Overview from the site above:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

WIKIPEDIA:

All previous DEXRON specifications were replaced once DEXRON-VI was introduced. There are no valid approved products that carry the DEXRON approval unless they have a DEXRON-VI approval and associated license.

DEXRON-IIE has been surpassed by DEXRON-III as of January 1, 1994. It is no longer available and its use is no longer recommended. DEXRON-IIE is not compatible in systems requiring DEXRON-III or DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backwards-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

Hope this helps and not hinder...

Here are some simple definitions for ATF:

Dex III/IV can be used for any Dex required system.

Type T-IV: for Lexus/Toyota w/the electronic transmission. Some shops mix a special ATF w/Dex III to get to the equivalent of T-IV. Your 96 ES300 does not have electronic tranny.

Type F: for older Ford cars

MaxLife by Valvoline: Good

If you buy that, you might as well get the Amsoil ATF, which is compatible w/a lot of other ATF's. It even works for Mercedes. I have been using Amsoil ATF for a long time. It recommends changing at 50K miles, but the ATF is still very good. Amsoil ATF can go different extremes in temperature when compared to MaxLife.

I love this forum but it does get confusing. This is what "I" am going to do with my 96 es300 w/125k mi.

1. The manual says to "inspect" at 125k but says nothing else about oil transfusion or what to use.

2. The dip stick says to use Dex II and to check the rear end oil at the filler hole. However my understanding is that Dex III can be used in place of all before it. I am not sure when Dex II was superseded/discontinued but I thought it was before 96 as stated below. I am sure the stick is OEM and has all the jap lingo on it. I concluded that maybe the stick is older than 96 but then what did the factory really use? I assume it had to be Dex III. (Democratic disclaimer: No disrespect meant on the Jap statement.)

3. The forum seems avid against using Dexron. So I called the Dealer...Bell Road Lexus in Phoenix @ (602) 866-1474 and they told me...:

"Pre 1999- Dexron III ATF. 1999 to 2004- Toyota ATF. 2004+ World Standard ATF what ever that is...you new guys can fight it out. I asked about the synthetic and he said with older cars it would not really matter but suggested "no". I asked about using the Valvoline vv337 Dex/Merc Extended Life and he said it was a good product and a good replacement for the Dexron".

4. So...I want all the oil changed out... so I am doing the flush method irregardless of the damage threat (I'm such a rebel) and pulling/cleaning the pan/changing the internal screen filter. And I am using the Extended Life Valvoline. Because the Valvoline can be used and will mix with everything I feel safer useing it. It takes 9 qts plus one or 2 for the flush. If interested in the Valvoline I have posted more info on it...read on:

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer...ission-fluid/37

Overview from the site above:

MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF contains a blend of superior base oils and a unique additive package to help extend the life of transmissions with over 75,000 miles. It is formulated to maximize transmission performance, reduce transmission wear, and improve and maintain smooth shifting longer than conventional fluids. MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is compatible with new and rebuilt transmissions and will not void new car warranties.

Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 295 and 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

WIKIPEDIA:

All previous DEXRON specifications were replaced once DEXRON-VI was introduced. There are no valid approved products that carry the DEXRON approval unless they have a DEXRON-VI approval and associated license.

DEXRON-IIE has been surpassed by DEXRON-III as of January 1, 1994. It is no longer available and its use is no longer recommended. DEXRON-IIE is not compatible in systems requiring DEXRON-III or DEXRON-VI.

DEXRON-III is not compatible with the most recently designed transmissions, and the use of these earlier type fluids could result in transmission damage. All DEXRON-III licenses expired at the end of 2006, and will not be renewed. Beyond that date, General Motors will only support the use of DEXRON-VI fluids for use in Hydra-Matic transmissions. Fluids claiming DEXRON-III type performance continue to be sold under abbreviated names such as Dex/Merc, and D/M however since the DEXRON-III licensing system no longer exists, these fluids are not regulated in any way.

DEXRON-VI

DEXRON-VI was introduced in 2005. It was designed to replace all prior specifications, and is therefore backwards-compatible with applications calling for DEXRON of any type. The specification (GMN 10060) defines both a performance level and specific additives that provide improved shift feel, friction durability and oxidative stability compared to earlier specified fluids.

Hope this helps and not hinder...

Here is what I did, lunacy...

ES300 1995, 142 000 miles

Since it was mine,

1st tranny fluid change (drain and refill cca 2.7 litres) was done in March 2009

- tranny filter change included, also with magnetic cleanup

2nd May 2009

3rd December 2009

Changed with Dexron III type - Shell Donax TX (not an advertisment)

At 1st I was affraid, then it was and is much smoother, I felt a quicker response.

Why 3 changes in one year?

I could not figure out last time it was changed.

Automatic transmission is a quantum mechanics for me, very difficult thing.

I am mostly driving in city, rarely on highways, tranny A540E is called heavy duty, but like any auto tranny can be easily blowed up.

• 4 months later...

I have changed mine every 30k including the filter ($30) and just recently switched to Amsoil Synthetic ATF, which made my transmission noticeably smoother. Make sure to drop the pan, try to put it in a solvent tank and clean off the magnets. Put on a new gasket with the proper adhesive and your good to go.

I have changed mine every 30k including the filter ($30) and just recently switched to Amsoil Synthetic ATF, which made my transmission noticeably smoother. Make sure to drop the pan, try to put it in a solvent tank and clean off the magnets. Put on a new gasket with the proper adhesive and your good to go.

The Maxlife is great stuff, I run it in my ES300 and it shifts smoothly. About $3.63 a quart at Wally world (cheaper by quart than jug strangely).

Basically the Toyota fluids are Dexron base stocks and then Toyota has their supplier blend their "specific" blend of friction modifiers - these friction modifiers are there to "soften" shifting causing a certain amount of slippage as the clutches engage - that's why transmissions that originally came with regular Dexron ATF shift "firmer" and that's the ONLY difference - fluids that are not regular Dexron fluids are going to cause clutches to wear faster as evidenced at the dealer level by the fluid interval checks and the drastic change in fluid color from the clutch material getting into the fluid. With earlier transmissions I've used Chevron MD-3 exclusively - it seems to have just the right amount of friction modifier to where between 30k flushes the fluid still "looks" good. You don't need to replace the filter - it's a fine mesh screen and doesn't plug up - simply "okie flush" thru the cooler hose that's the output hose into a 5 gallon bucket

Basically the Toyota fluids are Dexron base stocks and then Toyota has their supplier blend their "specific" blend of friction modifiers - these friction modifiers are there to "soften" shifting causing a certain amount of slippage as the clutches engage - that's why transmissions that originally came with regular Dexron ATF shift "firmer" and that's the ONLY difference - fluids that are not regular Dexron fluids are going to cause clutches to wear faster as evidenced at the dealer level by the fluid interval checks and the drastic change in fluid color from the clutch material getting into the fluid. With earlier transmissions I've used Chevron MD-3 exclusively - it seems to have just the right amount of friction modifier to where between 30k flushes the fluid still "looks" good. You don't need to replace the filter - it's a fine mesh screen and doesn't plug up - simply "okie flush" thru the cooler hose that's the output hose into a 5 gallon bucket

Edited by pberku

• 5 years later...

Oh god.... "THE DREADED OIL THREAD" in ATF guise!

I used Valvoline MaxLife ATF, which is Toyota T-IV certified. And BobTheOilGuy thinks it's better.

Bottom line: Anything that's nice and fresh is better than icky old stuff!!

I used Mobil 1 full synthetic in my RX300 and it performed very well. I totally am against flush, however a fluid exchange is OK (this procedure allows the tranny pump to move the fluid thru the drain and fill process.) Other method is as above make a drain and fill with a cleaning of magnets and filter, repeat three times with the last two times just a drain and fill.